British Speedway Forum
johnyson66

Redcar v Leicester Semi final

On 10/13/2019 at 6:09 PM, Teromaafan said:

This was probably the best meeting I've seen at BP and I'm not basing it on the result as a Lions fan either. We saw 14 riders giving everything and prepared to attack the track resulting in some great racing. I've said it before, too many riders seem to pick up on the negative opinions of the track and think that's an excuse to not have to chase down the rider in front. This meeting was far superior to the Premiership play offs in terms of entertainment witnessed on TV recently.  I expected us to haul the deficit back early doors and then kick on, but credit the Bears and their fans (noisy sods!) that made the trip.

Couldn't agree more, and with a track they could race on and under (albeit a bit underpowered) lights, it had all the best ingredients including some incidents, and of course it wouldn't have been complete without another howler from the ref, who failed to notice that Joe Lawlor had taken third place off the last bend. Even the Redcar supporters couldn't believe that one.

The near-calamity in heat 15 brought back chilling memories of July 1976 and Doug Underwood lifting on the city bend at Blackie Road and clattering into Ray Wilson, with both leaving the stadium by ambulance. Scott Nicholls performed a miracle in not only getting back under control and avoiding a similar accident by a fag-paper, but also retaining third place. I saw him on the BT coverage from Ipswich last night and I'm sure his hair looked to have gone a bit more white since his previous appearance on TV

• Like 1