British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Berwick vs Newcastle 21st March 1992

Guest compost

Trying to update my 1992 records.

Conflict between the yearbook and the Speedway Star for this meeting.

Can anyone with a completed programme tell me who finished 4th in heat 13 ?  The yearbook has Max Schofield (and replacing Garratt) whilst the Star has Garratt in the heat in 4th.

Thanks

PS. Split from my 1992 season queries topic for visibility

The Speedway researcher shows Wayne Garratt missing his last ride because of a F/X in his third ride and Max Schofield having 5 rides so i thing it would be Schofield in heat 13. 

Guest compost
1 hour ago, Roger Martins said:

The Speedway researcher shows Wayne Garratt missing his last ride because of a F/X in his third ride and Max Schofield having 5 rides so i thing it would be Schofield in heat 13. 

Thanks Roger but unfortunately it doesn't help as I'm trying to update the file (as well as produce a season file) on the Researcher website.

That's why I asked if anyone could confirm the placing from a completed programme.

Regards

Hi Compost.

Just to let you know the information provided in the Yearbooks are supposed to be taken from the official records (ie referee reports), therefore the yearbook should have a degree of accurancy.

The heat results published in the Speedway Star should be taken "with a pinch of salt" as these are littered with errors. I can vouch for this as myself and a friend prepared the full season files from 1965 on the researcher website.

I have to say that errors were considerably less in the late 80's and early 90's than the entire 1965 - 1981 seasons we have covered.

However, I have found errors in the various Yearbooks, so these can't be taken as gospel either !!!

For accurancy a completed programme from the actual meeting is best (ie attended), beware as programmes can be completed from the Speedway Star thereby potentially duplicating the error !

Good luck in your task.

Steve

Guest compost
12 hours ago, steve19620 said:

Hi Compost.

Just to let you know the information provided in the Yearbooks are supposed to be taken from the official records (ie referee reports), therefore the yearbook should have a degree of accurancy.

The heat results published in the Speedway Star should be taken "with a pinch of salt" as these are littered with errors. I can vouch for this as myself and a friend prepared the full season files from 1965 on the researcher website.

I have to say that errors were considerably less in the late 80's and early 90's than the entire 1965 - 1981 seasons we have covered.

However, I have found errors in the various Yearbooks, so these can't be taken as gospel either !!!

For accurancy a completed programme from the actual meeting is best (ie attended), beware as programmes can be completed from the Speedway Star thereby potentially duplicating the error !

Good luck in your task.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply.

I had a feeling that the yearbook would be the more accurate and was aiming to use that when I can't get confirmation on a query.

Yes I agree re the Star and its accuracy. Years ago I had a look at computerising the results from the 1970 season (this was before your file was available on the Researcher website) based on what the Star had published but quickly gave up when I realised the shear number of errors and inaccuracies in the results published.

I have been asking for confirmation from a programme completed by attendance at the meeting in question (I used to not fill in my programmes at the meeting, mainly as the Swindon tannoy system was to hard to understand, and rely on the results in the Star the following week so know what you mean).

You might want to PM me the answer to this question, but do you have any contacts that help you with queries on specific tracks (I know you post questions here but wondered if you had regular contacts for certain venues) ?  It seems very hit and miss posting queries here as to whether or not, particularly posting on the history forum,  the person you need bothers to look at that forum - I had thought about posting say a Berwick query on the Championship forum (or even on that forum under the Berwick 2021 thread) ?

Any advice would be welcome by the way

Compost

From my completed programme Max Schofield replaced Wayne Garratt in Heat 13 and finished fourth.

Garratt is recorded as 'EX'  for that race which (as he was replaced by a reserve ) probably means two minutes exclusion.