British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Frank Ravlen

Acorn Dobson

Guest Frank Ravlen

Acorn Dobson is my only surviving uncle on my mother's side.

Known to me as a child in the 40s as my "favourite uncle" he emigrated to Oz in the late 40s in order to live in a hotter climate than the UK and apart from 2 brief return visits in the 60s and 70s he has stayed in Australia. He is currently in a retired home in Mackay, Queensland and is about 96 years old, we were never sure of his d.o.b. and since my mother died in 1964 we have not had the opportunity to verify it.

He usually sends my sister a Christmas card but we didn't get one last year so we dont really know the current position.

I never saw him ride at Belle Vue, only an exhibition midget car match race with his old mate Bob Harrison just before he emigrated.

He ran a taxi service prior to leaving, his garage was next to the railway line on Church Lane, Gorton, within a stones throw from the family Wallpaper & Paints shop at 81, Hyde Road.

I have a photocopy of a cigarette card of him and a couple of newspaper clippingsand several photos he sent to us over the years of him in Queensland where he was an "itinerent plumber", following the sun up and down the barrier reef coast whilst he plied his trade.

Incidentally the name "Acorn" was derived from his riding helmet. He had a peculiarly shaped head and the standard helmet was uncomfortable so his riding mates at Belle Vue stamped on it to get the right shape!

Also we understand that he appeared in the George Formby film about the TT races, he was the rider subbing for GF when the child appears to run onto the road.