British Speedway Forum
justathought

WHY DO YOU BOTHER ?

21 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

It has - years ago country cricket was dying in its backside so they came up with new versions - it’s irritated and lost some of the purists however but gained a new generation of followers - sadly lot more money in cricket! 

Speedway has - to be fair - made many technical changes and also other ‘innovations’ over the years - just last year the golden heat caused much debate - many in here seemed dead against it - but when I witnessed one of these in front of about 2000 people at Foxhall it was a massive hit! 

same with the playoffs they merely followed the trend of other sports - again many are not a fan of them yet they are the most dramatic and well attended meetings of the entire season 

I quite agree regarding the golden heat & play offs both divides opinion but certainly add something.

Speedway used to have a great tournament the old 4s, in the NL days.

Something different at your local track when the qualifying round was there. Finals day at Peterborough was awesome 2 semi finals & a final in one day…..that would be a great meeting to sell to Tv.

The highlights used to be on itv!

• Like 3

On 8/4/2023 at 5:05 PM, Bojangles said:

You're missing the one page about Poole (on every thread).

I'm surprised it's taken this long to get Poole dragged into it 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I quite agree regarding the golden heat & play offs both divides opinion but certainly add something.

Speedway used to have a great tournament the old 4s, in the NL days.

Something different at your local track when the qualifying round was there. Finals day at Peterborough was awesome 2 semi finals & a final in one day…..that would be a great meeting to sell to Tv.

The highlights used to be on itv!

The old NL fours was one of the highlights of the season - I also remember going to the Pairs at Hackney sometime in the late 80s as well 

Arena who were never really in it for the league title (until the T Russell era)  at least punched above our weight in the fours coming 2nd a couple of times and also winning in 1992 

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 11:03 AM, False dawn said:

With respect, that's not so. In the forum's early days (~20 years ago) I built a circle of friends, amongst the regular posters, that extended all around the world. And continues to this day. Groups of posters used to meet at the British Final, go and sit together at Cardiff etc. Perhaps most important was the quality of debate on here. We didn't all agree, far from it. But we knew the value of a considered and well presented argument. As well as some truly amusing comments.
I see elements of those early days, to this day, which is why I'm still here. Although I agree with much of your analysis in that the eternal bickering, trolling and conspiracy theorists are much in evidence. Not to mention those that have "inside knowledge" but refuse to tell, beyond the click bait initial posting.

We could all leave. But that would be a case of "throwing out the baby with the bath water". Better still, completely ignore those that don't play "by the rules". And before you say, "What rules, Fd?" consider how we'd behave if we were all physically together, rather than sat behind our keyboards.

This post is far too sensible to warrant a reply.

Edited by fliss44