British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aussie Dirtdingo Throttlejockey

NSW Sidecar Title/Mick Poole Solo Cup

Guest Aussie Dirtdingo Throttlejockey

REPORT FROM GLENN RUSSELL:

Jason Crump has shown his World Championship class in winning the Mick Poole International Solo Classic before a good crowd at Gosford Speedway on

the N.S.W. Central Coast.

Jason was unbeaten in his five rides but had one or two good dices with Craig Watson in particular, where the World Champion had to come from behind to defeat him after making a slightly slow start. This was Jason's first meeting since winning the title in Norway and he admitted to me that he was quite nervous prior to racing, but as the meeting wore on his starts got better and better and from then on he never looked likely to be beaten.

His start in the final from the largely unfavored gate 6 was just out of this world and he was ten metres in front of the field as they entered the back straight for the first time.

In a track side interview with me after winning the final, Jason was very complimentary about the Gosford Promotion led by Terry and Mick Poole, and

how he was very appreciative that we had been the ONLY group to do anything

for him with regard to acknowledging his championship victory.

He was happy to appear at Gosford as a mark of respect for everything Terry and co had done, especially the organisation of the celebration dinner on December 18th.

For those looking for a reason why Jason has not ridden in the recent Australian Final series, I think we can look no further than the lack of response to Jason from MA since his triumph a fact Jason was quick to seize on when interviewed after the final.

He also showed his class late in the meeting after he had finished his rides, when Sidecar passenger Victor Gavenlock was thrown from Grant Bond's machine in the N.S.W. Sidecar Championship Final. It took quite a while to get Victor into the Ambulance and off to hospital, and it was very noticeable that Jason was right there to offer Victor some encouraging words before the Ambulance left.

Jason would probably have not known Victor from a bar of soap, but it was a great gesture from a champion who is undoubtedly doing his best to portray the right image of the sport to those inside and outside of it. His appearance at the recent Australian U/16 junior title at Somersby being another case in point.

Jason now moves on to Mildura for his second and final appearance in Australia this summer. He flies back to England in just over a week's time to put together his schedule and sponsorships before embarking on the new British and European Season in early March.

In the N.S.W. Sidecar Champinship Final, Darrin Treloar also showed his champion class with an unbeaten 6 rides to win from Grant Bond (with replacement passenger Adam Commons in the chair), Chris Pym and hard charging Queensland Stuart Firth. Pym had made the best start in the final but could not hold off Treloar's inside pass near the end of the second lap. Bond later passed Pym on the 3rd lap.

The final had been held up for over 40 minutes when a huge first corner bunching incident saw Grant Bond and Victor Gavenlock on the outside get the worst of it, and Gavenlock receive Ambulance attention on track. Victor had earlier in the night sustained some damage to his hip and upper leg after a coming together with Firth, and the second knock in the final was more than his body could take.

But Sidecar riders and passengers are a tough breed, and in news through this morning from Jan Grainger confirms that Victor is out of hospital and back at work this morning. Feeling somewhat tired and battered, and has some skin missing in certain places.

My apologies for no times in this report. After interviewing Darrin Treloar I left my programme board near the starting gate before going home and forgot to pick it up. My father kept a programme but unfortunately his hearing is not the best so my apologies there are no times available for this report.

Here are the heat details

Mick Poole Open International Solo Classic

1) Mark Jones, Jason Stewart, Jay Herne, Mark Murphy, Luke Gough, Daine

Stevens

2) Jason Crump, Craig Watson, Lee Herne, Leigh Fernance, Ty Platt,

Chris Holder

3) Watson, Platt, Holder, J Herne, Gough, D Stevens

4) Crump, Stewart, M Jones, L Herne, Fernance, Murphy (exc)

5) Holder, Fernance, Stewart, Fernance, Murphy (ef), Jones (exc)

6) Crump, Watson, Platt, J Herne, D Stevens, Gough

7) Watson, Platt, Fernance, Holder, D Stevens, L Herne (fell exc)

8) Crump, Stewart, J Herne, M Jones, Gough, Murphy

Final Crump, Watson, Platt, Stewart, Holder, Jones

N.S.W. Sidecar Champinship

1) Darrin Treloar, Steve Houston, Carl McKinnon, Alfie Robinson (ns)

2) Stuart Firth, Grant Bond, Greg Allen, Phil Hudson (ef)

3) Chris Pym, Darren Cafe, Rick Howse (exc), Jim Bob Turner (exc)

4) Gavin Edwards, Steve Jones, Sarah Jones, Mick Saunders

5) Firth, Turner, Saunders, McKinnon

6) Treloar, Bond, Cafe, Sarah Jones

7) Pym, Houston, Edwards, Allen (ef)

8) Howse, Steve Jones, Robinson (ns), Hudson (ns)

9) Bond, Pym, Jones, McKinnon (ef)

10) Treloar, Firth, Edwards, Howse (ns)

11) Sarah Jones, Turner, Houston (exc)

12) Cafe, Allen, Saunders

13) Howse, Allen, Sarah Jones,

14) Treloar, Pym, Saunders, Hudson (ns)

15) Firth, Houston, Cafe, Steve Jones

16) Bond, Edwards, Turner,

17) Edwards, Cafe, Hudson (ns)

18) Treloar, Steve Jones, Allen, Turner (ns)

19) Howse, Houston, Bond, Saunders

20) Firth, Pym, Sarah Jones,

Final Treloar, Bond, Pym, Firth

Next meeting will be the N.S.W. Solo Championship on Saturday January 22nd.

Please note the scheduled meeting for January 29th has been postponed till Easter to avoid clashing with the Australian U/21 title to be held at Tamworth on 29/1/05.

Phew! Thank goodness Glenn penned a report - saved ME doing it! :wink: Yep Crumpie was immaculate as was the partnership of Darrin Treloar & Justin Plaisted in winning the NSW Sidecar title.

Will be at Mildura on Saturday (flying up from Sydney tomorrow) for Crumpie's second and last appearance on track in Oz before he flies back to the UK.

Guest Lissa

Crumpie was fantastic!!! Talking to the marshalls and other officials on the in-field on the night, they were wishing that we didn't have such hot weather... because if they had've been able to make the track heavy, then Jason would have been aiming to break the track record...

After seeing how easy he made it look, and how fast he was would've made for some interesting racing if some of the other Aussie riders were there as well.... :P

Jason doing his thing.... :P

GSP1201050009.jpg

the winning sidecar team of Darrin Treloar & Justin Plaisted....

GSP1201050006.jpg

Guest Lissa
Hey Lis, great pixs there you certaintly have the feel for it.......... :D  By the way how did you upload some pixs to your posting please as i have tried to upload some of my  old pixs without success i am afraid........cheers Anth

LOL.. thanks!!! I have only been photographing Speedway for about 8 meetings.. so I am stoked about how my photos are turning out!! :P

I have uploaded my photos to Photobucket - an FREE online photo gallery, and then you are able to post the URL in between the Tags.. and there you go.. photos!!! :D

Guest Lissa
No problemo Lis, cool stuff have just signed up and ready to go will take me 24 hours to scan and upload all my pixs :D

Cool.. can't wait to see them! !:D

eewww.. scanning... am gald that I have a digital camera now!!! :P

Guest Lissa
No worries LISSA i am still in the dark ages when it comes to reverting to a digital SLR besides i dont have a spare 5 or 6 grand to spare for the new Canon digi i would like to own. Have to stick to the old trusty Canon SLR for now until i get the bug again....cheers

ozspeedwaysolo1acd.jpg

Hahhaha.. i had the a $6000.. but it was supposed to get me to England for a holiday.. instead it went on camera stuff... :(

Was this taken at the good ol' Gossie Speedway?? :P

I think I recognise that tree in the background!!! :D (okays that sounds strange!!!:P)

Where were the others taken?? :unsure:

Edited by Lissa

Guest Lissa
Yep Liss, that one is at Gossie and the others are from Barleigh Ranch up near Raymond Terrace north of Newcastle............... :D

LOL I thought so!! I think my great-grandad (or someone like that) used to race at Barleigh Ranch... somewhere up that way... :P

COOL PICS!!! :D