British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Gp`s In 2013 And Beyond-where Will They Be Held ?

Reading somewhere that 2012 is likely to be the last GP in Leszno(local region withdrawing financial support ?) set me wondering what changes there could be next season.Rzeszow with there stadium re-construction must be favourites to take Leszno`s place.

Also i believe Malilla have only now a one year GP contract-the new Friend`s arena football stadium(with a retractable roof)in Stockholm is due to open at the end of 2012,so could we see that stadium host a gp as early as 2013.

I would also think following the success of the Auckland GP this weekend efforts will be made to have 3 fly-away GP`S on the calender as early as 2013.Australia and USA coming on board.

I can`t see any other changes with the other staging venue`s-any thought`s anyone ?

I'd like to see US and Aussie SGP before and after the NZ.

I'd drop one of the Polish and the Vojens round though.

Edited by superguest

HIGHLY unlikely that there will be less than 11 rounds in Europe. If Stockholm comes on board my guess would be that it will replace the seemingly fated Gothenburg rather than Malilla. Russia is a possibility too.

A three GP swing in March is definitely a possibility and obviously Monster Energy will be pushing hard for one in their own backyard. The hugely positive reaction of the riders before, during and after the NZ GP, and the manner in which BSI in association with TravelPlus handled all their travel and freight arrangements, has undoubtedly made the Grand Prix world a smaller place. After all, you cannot go any further than New Zealand.

It is the last year of Leszno's contract although that doesn't necessarily mean that they will not try and renew it and obviously Bydgoszcz would love to get back on the bandwagon.

I would also think following the success of the Auckland GP this weekend efforts will be made to have 3 fly-away GP`S on the calender as early as 2013.Australia and USA coming on board.

The NZ GP may have been an on-track success, but the key is whether it's a financial success. I don't know what the officially reported attendance was in the end, but even with government support I don't imagine the promoter would have made money on it.

Australian and US GPs are unlikely to draw sufficient attendances to cover their costs, so will depend heavily on what local authority support can be obtained, and finding promoters willing to take a large financial risk. If it were so straightforward, there would have been more than just a solitary Australian GP.

The NZ GP may have been an on-track success, but the key is whether it's a financial success. I don't know what the officially reported attendance was in the end, but even with government support I don't imagine the promoter would have made money on it.

Australian and US GPs are unlikely to draw sufficient attendances to cover their costs, so will depend heavily on what local authority support can be obtained, and finding promoters willing to take a large financial risk. If it were so straightforward, there would have been more than just a solitary Australian GP.

IMG are media giants, it's tv rights and advertising that pay their bills

Monster are huge worldwide as are Buckley systems

Surely it will make it financially more attractive if an Aussie GP can be linked to the NZ event next year (or the year after), as it will balance out the transport costs to an extent.

Remains to be seen whether Western Springs was a financial success, but the crowd looked very encouraging to me considering the sports current profile in NZ. Surely an Aussie GP at a place like Gillman could be a goer,

I can see negotiations between Polish tracks & BSI/IMG being frostie after inflicting us with Peter Ljung instead of Darcy Ward

Correct, nice position to be in eh!

Buckley systems

Rely on revenue from the supporters of the event etc ............

The best thing for the speedway GP Australia would be to have it on the same weekend of the F1, both in Melbourne (some how). The previous Australian GP's have been nothing but awful with poor attendances.

IMO that would be on hell of a weekend and an opportunity not to be missed

Monster are huge worldwide as are Buckley systems

The Speedway GP rights holders are BSI who are owned by a UK subsidiary of IMG. IMG UK lost a substantial amount of money in recent years, so the parent company are unlikely to be keen to pursue anything that isn't profitable to them. This essentially means 'overseas' ventures with high organisational costs will be reliant on local promoters with deep pockets who're prepared to unwrite any losses.

Monster is neither here nor there - they're sponsors of the series organisers (i.e. IMG/BSI) rather than individual GPs. Perhaps they might be willing to underwrite a US or other 'overseas' GPs, but this remains to be seen.

Buckley Systems appears to be a moderate sized although growing corporation (with turnover around GBP 35 million per year). It's perhaps good that speedway can attract backers of this size, but equally successful businessmen don't get to be successful by running charities. No matter how much one loves a sport, you're not going to continually pump money into something unless there's ultimately some return.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

BUCKLEY has no support from the NZ government or Auckland city as yet but if Saturday's crowd can be replicated over the next two years he will probably just about come out ahead. But he has never been in it for the money. There is no comparison with what happened with David Lander in Sydney many moons ago.

I can see negotiations between Polish tracks & BSI/IMG being frostie after inflicting us with Peter Ljung instead of Darcy Ward

DOUBT it ... Polish tracks were very anti having Ward as a wild card last year. They wanted a Polish rider in both Torun and Gorzow despite both meetings being sell-outs.

The best thing for the speedway GP Australia would be to have it on the same weekend of the F1, both in Melbourne (some how). The previous Australian GP's have been nothing but awful with poor attendances.

I think it's amusing that speedway and F1 should be considered in the same breath. Quite aside from the issue of actually finding an affordable venue in Melbourne (although indoor Docklands might be a possibility), speedway fans would be forced to pay sky high prices for accommodation, whilst any coverage the speedway GP might get, would be totally swamped by F1.

This is quite aside from the requirement for local government financial support. Victoria state government are already coughing up AUD 50 million for the Melbourne GP, so why would they want to pay even more in hope of a handful more fans turning up?

No matter how much one loves a sport, you're not going to continually pump money into something unless there's ultimately some return.

Chelsea FC, Man City, Real Madrid. Nearly every single British speedway club and nearly every British football club for that matter. Although I wouldn't do it. There are plenty of people in this world with deep pockets who are willing to take a loss to be closely involved with a sport they love. It's surprising a speedway fan hasn't clocked on to this yet :blink:

DON'T think Melbourne is high on agenda for a SGP round. Ideally BSI/IMG would like a 'Buckley' in Australia but on the back of Western Springs one or two other notable venues across the Tasman are beginning to show an interest.

Saturday's event has proved a massive fillip for speedway in Australasia and the New Zealand Herald is calling it the "surprise sporting hit if the year." It has already rekindled a lot of interest in this part of the world.