British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Who Were The Better Team Belle Vue Or Cradley Heath.?

In my lifetime the Belle Vue 1972 team and the Cradley Heath 1983 team were the best i ever saw who was the best so tough to choose. Belle Vue 1972 awesome Mauger,Sjosten,Collins,Pusey,Wilkinson, Broadbelt, Eyre. Cradley Heath 1983 Gundersen,King,Collins,Grahame,Wigg,Pedersen, (A masterstroke Adams change Ravn. So tough Belle Vue for me though just.😅

Belle Vue for me too Sid. That was a wonderful Team.

Peter Ravn also rode for Belle Vue. 1981 - 83 and 1987- 1990.

A very good and hard Rider if I remember correctly.

Belle Vue for me too Sid. That was a wonderful Team.

Peter Ravn also rode for Belle Vue. 1981 - 83 and 1987- 1990.

A very good and hard Rider if I remember correctly.

Just shows WK how Adams has lasted the test of time. A terrific team manager and speedway person and he made a great signing in Ravn.

Just shows WK how Adams has lasted the test of time. A terrific team manager and speedway person and he made a great signing in Ravn.

Very true Sid. Adams has a terrific record as a Team Manager.

In my lifetime the Belle Vue 1972 team and the Cradley Heath 1983 team were the best i ever saw who was the best so tough to choose. Belle Vue 1972 awesome Mauger,Sjosten,Collins,Pusey,Wilkinson, Broadbelt, Eyre. Cradley Heath 1983 Gundersen,King,Collins,Grahame,Wigg,Pedersen, (A masterstroke Adams change Ravn. So tough Belle Vue for me though just.

I think it is certain that in an overall survey from the start of team racing in 1929, so far as "all time' is concerned the odds are heavily stacked in Belle Vue's favour. There are so many riders with their names linked to Aces who are regarded as all-time greats. IMO a challenging list that historically Cradley Heath could never match - and in the realm of 'speedway's all the era'I would rate the London sides Wembley and Wimbledon as also superior to Cradley Heath.

Edited by Guest

I think it is certain that in overall survey from the start of team racing in 1929, so far as "all time' is concerned the odds are heavily stacked in Belle Vue's favour. There are so many riders with their names linked to Aces who are regarded as all-time greats. IMO a challenging list that historically Cradley Heath could never match - and in the realm of 'speedway's all the era'I would rate the London sides Wembley and Wimbledon as also superior to Cradley Heath.

Missing the point of the original question - which was - which was the better team? Belle Vue 1972 or Cradley 1983?

Of course the correct answer is Cradley 1983.

• Like 1

Mauger was better than gundersen by a point.

Cradley reserves clearly stronger - Ravn made the world final as reserve and averaged close to 8?

Sjosten and a young PC maybe having the edge over Wigg and King?

But Grahame/Phil Collins clearly stronger than Pusey/Wilkinson.

Cradley to edge it 40-38 I reckon.

I think it is certain that in an overall survey from the start of team racing in 1929, so far as "all time' is concerned the odds are heavily stacked in Belle Vue's favour. There are so many riders with their names linked to Aces who are regarded as all-time greats. IMO a challenging list that historically Cradley Heath could never match - and in the realm of 'speedway's all the era'I would rate the London sides Wembley and Wimbledon as also superior to Cradley Heath.

Missing the point of the original question - which was - which was the better team? Belle Vue 1972 or Cradley 1983?

Of course the correct answer is Cradley 1983.

Not so as you reason Salty. Read my Post again - I said: "I think it is certain that in an overall survey from the start of team racing in 1929, so far as "all time' is concerned the odds are heavily stacked in Belle Vue's favour."

Edited by Guest

And even if it is a tie look at number eights - and Simon Cross wins it for Cradley

Not so as you reason Salty. Read my Post again - I said: "I think it is certain that in an overall survey from the start of team racing in 1929, so far as "all time' is concerned the odds are heavily stacked in Belle Vue's favour."

Yes, which as Salty said is a different topic to tgat raised by Sidney. An interesting Topic to discuss, but nonetheless not what the OP asked.

Yes, which as Salty said is a different topic to tgat raised by Sidney. An interesting Topic to discuss, but nonetheless not what the OP asked.

I agree - but it is deviation from main themes tgat make debates of interest. But I suppose as I made the comment you, as with others of your ilk, went into automatic 'overdrive' to pull me up!

Mauger was better than gundersen by a point.

Cradley reserves clearly stronger - Ravn made the world final as reserve and averaged close to 8?

Sjosten and a young PC maybe having the edge over Wigg and King?

But Grahame/Phil Collins clearly stronger than Pusey/Wilkinson.

Cradley to edge it 40-38 I reckon.

I think Ken Eyre out of the two teams was the weakness but he was still a VALUABLE member of the team what did he average 5.8 ish??For me the three Belle Vue heat leaders were superb and i personally believe at his BEST Pusey was at least as good as Collins/Grahame.

I agree - but it is deviation from main themes tgat make debates of interest. But I suppose as I made the comment you, as with others of your ilk, went into automatic 'overdrive' to pull me up!

A tad hypocritical given your complaints when anyone takes one of "your" threads off topic. Was there a reason why you didn't at least do Sidney the courtesy of giving your thoughts on the thread's question before taking it down a different path?

Fwiw I don't think anyone would dispute your assertion. A side with the likes of Craven Mauger Fundin parker j crump peter collins Crang would be unbeatable.

• Like 1

I think Ken Eyre out of the two teams was the weakness but he was still a VALUABLE member of the team what did he average 5.8 ish??For me the three Belle Vue heat leaders were superb and i personally believe at his BEST Pusey was at least as good as Collins/Grahame.

Hard to compare the two sides like for like, but more relevant to look at their points differential to see how much they dominated the league by.

Both sides only had two away defeats all season, but averaging out their points we find...

Belle Vue Home 51 - 26 Away 36 - 42

Cradley Home 53 - 25 Away 32 - 46.

Cradley on top in both cases and also they had 6 away wins of 20 points or more, whereas the Aces only had one (ironically at Dudley Wood).

Difficult to compare any great teams (I would include the 1986 Oxford team in any list) as points limits and/or restrictions dictated team strengths and limitations on same.

Personally, however, I would plump for the Belle Vue team of 1972.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1