Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

SPEEDY69

Members
  • Posts

    3,247
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

SPEEDY69 last won the day on September 4 2025

SPEEDY69 had the most liked content!

Previous Fields

  • Gender
    Male
  • Marital Status
    Married
  • Music
    Completely varied from The Darkness to Terry Hall, The Specials, Mark Knopfler and Jimi Hendrix
  • Age
    44
  • Profession
    Critiquing

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Interests
    Umm, Speedway! Motorcycling, Badminton, most types of racing (except those without genuine overtaking i.e. F1)
  • Team
    None really

Recent Profile Visitors

5,735 profile views

SPEEDY69's Achievements

Mentor

Mentor (12/14)

  • Conversation Starter Rare
  • Dedicated Rare
  • Very Popular Rare
  • First Post
  • Posting Machine Rare

Recent Badges

1.9k

Reputation

  1. It's a massive expense which doesn't make much sense to me in terms of safety - should be more like an MOT and see if the current barrier provides the cushioning it should then fine to carry on using it. It'd still be much better than the hard foam type fence they have at King's Lynn which I can't see provides much better than the old wire mesh type fences. Interesting rumour that Poland will mandate air jackets for riders maybe the year after next, if not next year. Another expense for clubs that they can do without because you can be sure riders won't pay for them.
  2. I liked both of them but they could be a bit forceful up the inside. Eriksen did well in a world team cup I seem to remember and also remember him riding a big motocross/road bike at the end of season meeting all around the centre green - his van was also difficult to forget 😁
  3. I don't think it was alleged, it was clearly evidenced on TV with the clouds of smoke from burning rubber filling the air. Unless BSN used AI to create it......
  4. Yes. As far as I'm aware the only reason they are closed for speedway is the requirement for stewards. They are open when car racing is on.
  5. Nope, not true. I energy to Torun for the Son or whatever it's called, racing was reasonable but very poor crowd. For a team match it's packed. Belle Vue crowds are no bigger than those at Poole but which has the best racing. The feeling and experience of being there is the most important factor. Quality of racing comes will behind that. That's why F1 remains well supported.
  6. Hmm, let me say it again. Some riders in the past have started their career in the top league (not in a lower league) and become very successful. Age is not proportional to success/ability and there is so much evidence of this I don't think you need me to give examples. Many of the riders who have started brightly but then stunted/faded is nothing new and to be expected as when the pressure/requirement increases, there will of course be those who don't make it. The point I am making and which several people, including promoters do not seem to get, is that restricting opportunity by age is totally flawed. Parnytski was under 21 world champion but pants in the grand prix the following year. Crump was also world u21 champ and then won a GP the following season. Age is irrelevant. What they should be looking at, if they want to develop, is perhaps (and I haven't done a lot of thinking on this) is count experience ( a bit like flying hours for a pilot) and compare that with success, perhaps using averages as a measure, as well as individual successes. Then, a rider could be 25 and just starting out but get a place at reserve because of their lack of experience. A rider who started in one of those reserve spots aged 16 and now 24, still averaging 2.5 points per meeting, should not be ahead of the 25 year old in the queue for a place.
  7. But if they never ride in the Championship then that's irrelevant as they'd be doing well in the top league. I think you're now falling into the trap of focusing on age and relating that to ability, which is the mistake with any age restriction.
  8. I haven't been calling him out or offering an opinion on here at all but I'm now curious as to why you think someone would be reticent to give their opinion to him directly - what would happen?
  9. Several riders have been top league standard and even world class before 21 years old. I don't like age restrictions as the sport should cater for talent so your suggestion of of achievement before being placed in the top league has merit as so many do struggle, but we have also seen success stories there (Loram and Screen spring to mind). If they're talented enough they will shine through.
  10. What some seem to have missed from Richard Coleman's vision is that he wants much bigger divergence between Premiership and Championship in terms of standard. So this may see Championship sides get weaker, as well as Premiership teams getting stronger, looking to reduce doubling down further. This may make each league more of less attractive for promoters. Let's see what happens
  11. Hawk, you can get a bus to within about a 5-10 min walk of the stadium but I expect they'll have some GP special transport laid on from the railway station and town centre.
  12. I get what you're saying here but if he can't turn it around over a whole season, why should it happen over the winter? I'm not too sure if he's reached his level, a six pointer capable of the odd great meeting and a stinker to follow.
  13. Yes, it was a dull meeting I thought, only the suspense of who might win the shield this year kept it marginally interesting.
  14. I think the GP organisers expect the host club to pay a really sizeable sum just for the privalige of hosting, that would be in those costs. With a maximum of 6k fans at the NSS this makes it hardly worth it financially. There should be more opportunity at Ipswich.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy