Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

chunky

Members
  • Posts

    24,276
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    29

Everything posted by chunky

  1. Surely that has little or nothing to do with playoffs? We watch sports because we enjoy WATCHING the sport, regardless of formats and rules. Steve
  2. The thing to remember is that in the US, playoffs are a little different, with the leagues not giving teams an equal number of games against the other teams. Rather than having divisions based on current ability/results, divisions are geographical, with all team supposedly at the same level. Steve
  3. Like I said, I preferred the atmosphere, and the spontaneity of the old system, but in fairness to the riders, I totally support the idea of a GP system. The problem is that most who liked the old World Finals have probably not been involved in serious competitive sport. As someone who has been involved in such sport for some 40 years, I appreciate the value of fairness to the competitors. Steve
  4. A league/GP/round robin format is designed to find the best - and most consistent - over the period of that system. A knockout system is designed to find the best on each individual occasion. People keep on about, "But they have playoffs in football!" Yes, they do, but NOT for a league title... Steve
  5. I'm not worried about your preference. You stated that, "If we want the BEST rider to win what would be the point?" What is the point of having sporting competitions and contest if they are NOT designed to find the BEST competitor? If an individual or team is the BEST over a contest (or series of contests), why should they not be rewarded for that? If we want "winners" at random, based on luck rather than skill, then why do we put in the effort to be better, faster, more accurate, than everybody else? If that doesn't merit rewards, then everything is worthless... Steve
  6. That's fine, but the World Speedway Championship is designed to find the best speedway rider in the world, not to please Colin Mills... I preferred the World Finals, but I am perfectly okay with a GP system that generally provides a much stronger competition overall, and reduces the luck factor. Steve
  7. If you don't want a fair system, that is up to you. I just find it sad when people want ability and and success to count for nothing. Just do a series of coin flips; at least nobody will get injured, and they could save money on an air fence! Steve
  8. Doesn't matter. ALL riders have the same opportunity to score the points. Trouble is, these days people think that doing exactly what the supporters want is more important than being fair to the riders. Do we want the BEST rider to win, or do we prefer a lottery? Steve
  9. Yes and no. Maybe you would lose a World Final because of a fall, and e/f, or one poor gate - but that is hardly fair either. Look at PC in 1975, or Jessup in 78, for example. However, as far as qualifying rounds, things like the Commonwealth, Overseas, and Inter-Continental finals were the complete opposite. The top 9, 10, or even 11 would qualify for the next round. So, there are flaws whichever way you look at it, but a GP system is much fairer for EVERYONE, and reduces the chances of one small thing costing you a title that you have worked hard all year for. That cannot be a bad thing... Steve
  10. Firstly, I just want to say that I HATE YOU! ALL OF YOU!!! I just wish I was able to make it over to Torun. If only it were as easy and cheap to travel around Europe while I was still there... Secondly, let's forget about Woffy and Bartek; it is a very interesting battle for the top eight now. A great last ride from Sayfutdinov has given him a great chance of overtaking Dudek. Laguta and Zagar are both also in range. That leaves Dudek to get a wild card, and I think Vaculik deserves one too; what a crazy year he has had... Then what? Steve
  11. The job isn't finished yet... It's no good celebrating before you actually win! Steve
  12. Don't you know? Being born in BRITAIN to BRITISH parents automatically makes you Australian? Adonis is clearly the world's leading authority on such matters... Steve
  13. Yeah, riders want to be constantly interviewed during meetings... Steve
  14. It's okay, just PM me your address and I will send you a box of tissues... Steve
  15. Nah, Phil wasn't a speedway fan, and he wouldn't go down to Poole when he had Stoke on his doorstep either; Shov wasn't that attractive to him!!! Phil's main sporting interest is Port Vale F.C. Incidentally, we had a similar thread a few years back. Steve
  16. Sad thing is that three of tracks don't even exist, let alone stage speedway... Steve
  17. If he's that good at running, why don't you see if he's interested in trying to run British speedway??? Steve
  18. Again, not sure he was a "fan", but I remember him being down at Plough Lane on more than one occasion. Steve
  19. Oh yeah, the old Yahoo! group... I joined the BSF around the same time, and have been a regular - if not prolific - poster here. Most of the time I am on the "Years Gone By" section, but now I can get the live streams in the US again, I have been more active in the GP section. Steve
  20. Before your time? I'm not THAT bloody old! If you look at the fact that I always sign my posts as "Steve", frequently mention that I am not in the UK anymore, and the fact that I sometimes talk about darts, I thought that MIGHT have been a clue! That was the first UK Open in 2003; the only one I qualified for. My dad passed away a couple of months after that, and I dropped out of the PDC. Do you remember me playing David in the World Championship? I am friends with him on FB, and we chat occasionally. Steve
  21. At the risk of sounding conceited, I was considered a "celeb"! Like my good friend Scott Mitchell, I played darts professionally. While I - unlike Scott - never managed to win a World title, I was third in the PDC World Championship, and am a former World No. 1. To be honest, it really doesn't seem like there have been too many really famous celebrity speedway fans over the years. Not sure, but I believe that DJ David Hamilton was actually a speedway supporter in addition to his presenting job. Steve
  22. First thing to remember is that there are a bunch of us on here who know exactly how you are feeling right now... It just makes it worse for those of us from London and the southeast. Not only did I lose my own Wimbledon, but I was a regular at most of the other venues in the area. I can't say I was a huge fan of Arena (as it was then!), but it was close enough for me to make frequent trips. In the early years, it was great to go there and see my old mate Dave Lanning who was announcing. One of my best memories was a triangular tournament between the Hammers, Dons, and Rockets. A miserable day, it started to pour down, but watching the old boys Johnsy and Middlo showing the rest how to ride a small track in the wet was well worth the cost of admission! Martin Goodwin, Bob Humphreys, Ian Humphreys, Simon Wolstenholme etc... Great times and great memories. Steve
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy