Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

chunky

Members
  • Posts

    24,276
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    29

Everything posted by chunky

  1. Thanks for a fascinating post, Philip. I remember talking to Dave Lanning about him some 10-12 years ago, and even Dave wasn't sure about the rumours. He did admit though, that he was a very difficult man to deal with business-wise. My favourite Speedway Star cover pic is that B&W one from 1969, with Garry leading Clive Hitch. To me, that photo is what real speedway is all about! Steve
  2. Briggo's record in the Silver Sash : 1966 - 13 times. Beat Arne Pander. Retained against John Dews, Reg Luckhurst, Brian Brett, Ivor Hughes, Sverre Harrfeldt, Arne Pander, Ray Wilson, Doug Templeton. Lost to Olle Nygren. Beat Olle Nygren. Retained against Ray Wilson, Terry Betts. Lost to Eric Boocock. Beat Peter Vandenberg. (spent winter as holder). 1967 - 25 times. Retained against Eric Boocock, Trevor Hedge, Hasse Holmqvist, Sverre Harrfeldt, Olle Nygren, Gote Nordin, Nigel Boocock, Arne Pander. Lost to Ray Wilson. Beat Malcolm Simmons. Retained against Charlie Monk (by default), Nigel Boocock, Jim Airey, David Crane, Alan Jay, John Hart, Reidar Eide, Wayne Briggs, Bengt Jansson, Cyril Maidment, Jon Erskine, Wayne Briggs, Charlie Monk, Allan Butterfield, Norman Hunter, Terry Betts. (spent winter as holder). 1968 - 6 times. Retained against Eric Boocock, Ronnie Genz, Nigel Boocock, Dave Younghusband. Lost to Bengt Jansson. Beat Reidar Eide. Retained against Ivan Mauger. (spent winter as holder). 1969 - 2 times. Lost to Eric Boocock. Beat James Bond. Retained against Chris Bass. Lost to John Boulger (by default). Barry Briggs was Silver Sash Champion on 46 occasions, and spent three winters as holder. Steve
  3. I've never complained about them; I was merely responding to a couple of posts. Were I going to Cardiff, I would probably do something like that if I found hotels too expensive, although I don't know the Cardiff area - or public transportation system - the same as I do London. Steve
  4. You know, if it's a choice between spending silly money to stay within a 10-minute walk, or having to sit on a train for 45 minutes in order to save 50 or 60 quid, I know what I'm doing... Steve
  5. So, what about all the hotels I've just searched for that are well under a hundred notes? That includes a number in the Heathrow area. Steve
  6. I know that the World Pairs semi was the first meeting there, pretty much as a test, but I believe the track was basically laid for the World Final. Unlike other tracks, there was the opportunity to race on it before the Final. Steve
  7. What about Bradford '85, Munich, and Amsterdam? Weren't they one-off tracks? Steve
  8. Valid point, but I'm still not convinced about the feasibility of having more than one. Again, a lot could depend on outside sponsorship as well as the income that GP's can generate for local businesses. Steve
  9. At first glance, that does seem strange. However - and for whatever reason (sponsorship, public support etc) - the Poles seem very capable of sustaining multiple events. Do you believe that the same would apply in the UK? Personally, I doubt it. Steve
  10. I figure it is (months are approx) : Hancock (41) Mauger (39 and 11 months) Gollob (39 and 5 months) Price (37) Nielsen (35 and 9 months) Rickardsson (35 and 1 month) Muller (34 and 10 months) Fundin (34 and 5 months) Crump (34 and 1 month) Olsen (31 and 10 months) Briggs (31 and 9 months) Pedersen N (31 and 5 months) Michanek (31 and 3 months) Steve
  11. Trust me, I'm not going to hide it, and this will be the first place to know! It is probably going to be a little while, as I have some other sites which are taking priority. I'm hoping to have it up sometime in the spring. Steve
  12. It doesn't alder the fact that you have hijacked the thread, so I don't think you'll get very fir with this. What a pear you and parsloes are... Steve
  13. Let's assume that it WAS a lottery, and then ask this question : how many individuals have won the BIG prize four, five, or six times? Steve
  14. Yeah, you're right iris - sorry! Anyway, of course I miss World Final nights, probably as much for the atmosphere as anything. They were more unpredictable, because of one bad race. However class usually told in the end. Here's some food for thought : From 1949 to 1994, we had 46 World Finals. We had a total of 21 World Champions, with 11 one-off Champions. A number of World Finals were won by "home" track riders (I will include Muller, Michanek, and Szczakiel with Williams and Price). Removing these from the mix (totally - unfair advantage) we now have 40 World Finals, 16 World Champions and 7 one-off champions. From 1995 to 2011, we had 17 GP Series. We have had a total of 8 World Champions, with 4 one-off Champions. Hans Nielsen (one GP) and Tony Rickardsson (one Final) won using both formats, so let's reduce that to 6 and 3 one-off champions. That leaves us with : 40 World Finals, with 16 World Champions, and 6 one-off Champions. 17 GP Series, 8 World Champions, and 3 one-off champions. Looking at it realistically, not much of a difference as far as percentages, eh? Obviously, we can't base it TOTALLY on medals, because that would put Williams ahead of Collins and Lee, and Szczakiel equal with them), but Nielsen's record is impressive enough to stand on its own. Throw in the incredible brilliance and consistency as far as league is concerned, and there can be no doubts whatsoever. Steve
  15. These four all enjoyed LONG careers, and were able to perform on a very consistent basis. That's why they are not "ifs". The same with Olsen. Don't get me wrong, I think that Eric was a legend, and although he did have a relatively long career, I still feel that he had some World Titles left in him. Had he been able to continue, and perhaps win one or two more, then I possibly would include him in a top six. However, he didn't, so that is all conjecture. I would put Olsen ahead of Craven, although again, had Craven been able to continue, and perhaps added to his brace, I might include him. Again, he didn't, so that is all conjecture. Why would that make you laugh? I have given my opinion of Erik above. Just because someone had a favourable record over another individual doesn't necessarily mean that they were better. In my own sport, there are people who I consider better than me - yet I usually beat them. Then, there are others who I am head and shoulders above, but they usually beat me. So, I'm speaking from experience. What counts is what you do in the long run. Thing is, it's NOT about personal preference. Choosing your FAVOURITE riders is about personal preference; rating riders is not. Obviously, there will be a little bias, but one should be more objective. I was no particular fan of Mauger, Fundin, or Rickardsson, but I cannot put Ronnie Moore or Bruce Penhall - both favourites of mine - on quite the same level. Steve
  16. Providing we could keep plain bias out of the discussion, that could be an interesting thread... Steve
  17. Just because he finished 3rd doesn't mean that he was still at the very top of his game, because he wasn't. Honestly, it wasn't so much that the ban destroyed him as the fact that he constantly destroyed himself. The problem is that YOU are the one who is limiting the choice to six. If I had to choose six, it would be Mauger, Fundin, Rickardsson, Briggs, Nielsen, and Olsen. Gundersen would be the one to miss out. Still, you keep saying about all these "ifs". If Gundersen hadn't had that terrible crash at Odsal, if Lee hadn't been so hell-bent on destroying himself, if Penhall hadn't decided that acting was where his future lay... Nielsen had a long and truly exceptional career which - for most people - would secure him a place in their all-time top six. The reason I place Olsen above Gundersen is because Ole had to work so much harder to achieve what he did. No disrespect meant to Erik, but the opportunities and facilities were there for him BECAUSE of Olsen. To come from a very minor speedway nation - as Denmark was - and achieve such greatness is testament to the guy's ability and determination. Steve
  18. We've been here before... You can't include all these "ifs". Besides, Lee was already on the downward slide before Nielsen emerged as a true contender. Loram was very lucky to get away with the Rickardsson incident, which is how he won the title. Lucky or not, that's the way it is. Crashes are often viewed differently by different people; rules that are blatantly ignored by referees aren't. Nielsen should have won in 1993 as Ermolenko shouldn't have been allowed in the rerun. Again, that is all "ifs". I cant argue that point at all, but Nielsen didn't win his first title until four years after Penhall's retirement; who's to say that Penhall would still have been at the top of his form? He may have been, and he may not. Four World titles and a long spell as THE dominant rider in domestic competition is enough for me to put Nielsen above Olsen. However, I would still include Olsen in that elite group - along with Gundersen. That was always something that perplexed me. I was a great fan of Sanders, but I rated Crump the much better rider. It's a pity he couldn't - or didn't - do it when it really counted. Can't argue with that assessment at all... I never queried the frequency of such incidents compared to those in the GP, merely that they were - or could be - of equal significance. Sad. but true... My point exactly. To not include Nielsen in a list of the GREATEST riders of all time baffles me... (see above) I would basically agree with everything there, particularly when one considers that you didn't even include riders like Simmons, Shirra, and Phil Collins from the 1982 list. Steve
  19. ...along with : Graham Warren (1950), who fell attempting to pass eventual champion Freddie Williams. Had he stayed in second, the two would have a run-off for the title. Jack Parker (1951). While everyone talks about Jack Biggs, the English Jack emerged pointless from his first outing, on paper, his easiest of the night, A win would have seen him champion, and a second place would have meant a four-way run-off. Sorry, but while Olsen was one of the all-time greats, there's no way that I would put him above Nielsen... Steve
  20. Personally, I would hate to lose the SWC, and think that while it would nice so see a pairs back, it would have to be in addition to the SWC. In any sport, the greatest honour of all is to represent one's country, and now that we have lost all those glorious Test Series, reducing the SWC to a pairs would be a retrograde step for both riders as well as supporters. They tried it a few years ago and it didn't last long... It is nice for a number of countries to get a bite at the cherry, but I did enjoy having a week-long SWC event in one country; it certainly makes it easier for the riders. I see no reason why we couldn't compact the SWC to a weekend event, in the same way that we used to with the NL Fours and Grand Slam. Obviously, injuries could be a concern, but not much more than we have currently. I do think that seeding the host nation to the final is a wise move economically. After all, I was at White City in '79 and '82! Steve
  21. Easy to say that, but not necessarily less significant. Remember that Loram won the 2000 GP as a result of a terrible refereeing decision. He lifted and wiped out Rickardsson, who was the inexplicably excluded. Had the decision been different, Rickardsson would have won. Steve
  22. You are of course correct, Rob. I think we could be struggling to beat Vic, now... Steve
  23. While it is possible that some kind of "deal" was offered, I agree that nerves simply got the better of him. When one looks at that Heat 19 lineup, Split Waterman could not have been ruled out as a possible winner of the race; at that stage, he had 9 points in the bag, and however unlikely it may have seemed, he was still in contention for the title. Williams had 6, and Lawson 5, going into the race. Biggs didn't have to worry about winning it, but just had to finish in front of one of those two. That's why nerves seem the most logical conclusion. Obviously, he had another bite at the cherry (albeit against much stiffer opposition), but was probably still ruing that Heat 19 disaster... Steve
  24. I think you'll find that riders did that in order to get a position in the lineup that gave them some well-spaced rides, rather than concentrating on gate positions. With the old 20-heat format, a rider had to go off every gate at least once, so the most they could do is to hope that they had good gate positions when up against their main competition. Still, in those days, most tracks had enough dirt on them so that it was quite possible to come from the back. Gate 2 at Coventry was the exception, I think! Steve
  25. Don't know if you were there, sidney, but I'm sure that Parsloes will remember the 1980 Grand Prix final at Wimbledon. Dennis Sigalos won in conditions that I would put up there with Gothenburg in 1977. Steve
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy