Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

BOBBATH

Members
  • Posts

    2,221
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by BOBBATH

  1. #2 is either Phil or Arthur-Split must be #4.When was Phil born,?? Arthur was born in Aug 1923 apparently
  2. Ta much Norbold-anybody know bd of Fred Brand-starghost?? anybody??-btw Vonny if you are Dick's daughter wish him Happy Birthday from me at end of the month- a great rider and a great gentleman.
  3. OK OK great conversations but does anyone know the actual birthdates of the 10 guys listed in my Nov 5th posting??(BTW for any Aussies out there-we had our first snowfall yesterday here in Toronto)
  4. Thanx Knowle do u know where is Jon these days??-a good rider in his time also
  5. Ok then it sounds like the list is 1. Cyril Roger 2. Phil Clarke 3. Split Waterman 4. Arthur Payne 5.Danny Dunton 6. Dick Bradley 7. Fred Brand 8. Freddie Williams 9. Chum Taylor 10.Eric Boothroyd. However can somebody confirm this by adding birthdates as a couple of these gentlemen are listed as having the same age e.g. Chum and Eric; Dick and Fred; Split and Arthur. So until we know birthdates we won't know the actual order. Sorry to be a nerd (or"anorak" as you Brits say) about this!!!!!!!.Incidentally the only survivor of the 1949 World Final(sixty years ago- hard to believe) is now Cyril Roger. For the 1950 Final(assuming Mike Erskine has passed away-BTW anyone know the answer to that?)- besides Cyril , Freddie is still with us, as are Split,Ronnie Moore,Danny Dunton and Arthur Payne. Long may it remain this way.
  6. I saw Timmy in his one and only meeting in 1975-think it was against BV. Speedyguy you are correct in all your comments.
  7. I know that Nigel Boocock topped the top div. averages in 1965-but who did it in the years you missed out Rob-I think it may have been Betts or Wilson in 67 but am not sure-did Ole Olsen ever top the averages??
  8. Can't wait to get mine here in Canada.
  9. Sorry mate must have got it wrong-its my memory!!
  10. No I'm sure it was the Speedway Star and think it was about 1954-56-anybody out there remember this series of srticles by Howdy.
  11. davidba,hope if there is another opportunity for you to meet Anders you will introduce yourself-my experience is that ex-riders are real gentlemen who are always glad to know they are remembered with affection(after all wouldn't any of us like to be remembered and respected)-bet ya he'll be happy to have a chat with you-perhaps even sign your poster!!Anyway all the best.
  12. Perhaps Bob Andrews would know-pretty sure if you contacted John Skinner who runs the Defunct Speedway Tracks website he'd know or put you in touch with someone who did,
  13. Thanx for sharing this falkirkbandit-Howdy was a great guy-just remember the end of his riding career with Hackney I think. In the Speedway Star years ago he wrote his reminiscences about his time as P.O.W. in Japan-made a real impression on me-it was serialised over about three issues-he had a way with words as well as being a great character.Thanx again for reminding us of good old Howdy.
  14. I think you are right Tom re Bill riding for Oz-offer of beer when in To applies to you too!!
  15. Ask the RCMP(mounties)- they are keeping a close eye on me!!!
  16. Thanx Ian -I'm in Toronto-but gimme a bell if you're here my # is 416-316-1935 and I'll buy you a beer (maybe two) same applies to any other forumlanders who recall Prov Lge. speedway!!!Even you Norbold!!!
  17. Just heard from Reg Fearman who confirms that Arthur Payne is still with us.
  18. Thanx Ian-great thread on Bill on the Monarchs site-didn't know so many of us remembered his Scottish Champ win-tho' I was off by a few years. Never got to Old Meadowbank unfortunately -tho' when in Edinburgh a couple of years ago drove by the old site -now an Athletics stadium I guess.The mid sixties were great weren't they!!
  19. I'm sure some folks must recall Bill-usually a second string he surprised everyone by winning the Scottish Championship in I think 1964-he emigrated shortly thereafter to Oz. Any old Monarchs fans out there know what has happened to him- I think he may have ridden in Australia later but am not sure.
  20. Dos anyone know if Arthur Payne is still alive??
  21. Thanx v. much Tigerowl-was under the impression that Arthur Payne had passed- tho may be wrong.
  22. Thanx folks the thread was indeed about oldest surviving World Finalists so it sounds like 1-Roger 2-Clarke(I didn't know that) 3 -Waterman 4 -Dunton. Interesting stuff on the oldest Champions also.
  23. With the sad passing of Louis-as before Cyril Roger is the oldest surviving World Finalist, Split Waterman is second-so who is the third oldest-I reckon it must be Fred Williams(who is also the oldest surviving World Champ.)?? Do others e.g. Norbold agree??
  24. Nice story Steve Turner-what say you Norbold I reckon we should crown Harry Huntly as the tallest ever!!!!!!!!!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy