British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BilaHora

you live and learn...

Guest BilaHora

All

I am in Prague and the old saying you learn something new every day still stands the test of time.

In my hotel lobby (Hotel Cloister Inn) is a magazine called Travel in the Czech Republic which contains an interesting little article of Jawa.

Did you know that Jawa were originally called ESO (Ace)? I certainly did not. It seems a Czech rider called Jaroslav Simandl founded the company in 1948. His first speedway bike - a 125cc machine - was called "esicko" (little ace) after the first two letters of his sirname. However, as you can imagine, the name ESO brought him into conflict with the might Standard Oil of New Jersey - now known as Exxon - who, of course, market their products as ESSO. Mr Simandl changed the name of his product to Jawa and the rest is history.

As I said, you live and learn. Of course, most members of this forum would know this little piece of history but I did not and found it most interesting.

Regards

BilaHora

Your in Prague and you come on the forum! :o:)

Guest BilaHora

iris123

I like to keep abreast of matters.

Regards

BilaHora