British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dizzy_Heights

Speedway...

Guest Dizzy_Heights

Will speedway always be a minority sport? :(

Guest BilaHora

Ms Dizzy_Heights

What a shame that no one has, up until now, chosen to reply to your post.

Your post does, however, beg the question: "Has speedway always been a minority sport?" After all, in the halycon days of the 1950s a league meeting between Wembley and Wimbledon could see Wembley stadium filled to capacity. Throughout the 1970s speedway was widely regarded as the second biggest spectator sport in the United Kingdom and even as late as 1981 the world final, held at Wembley, attracted a crowd of 90,000.

In those days speedway was also well-served by television, with regular coverage of the major events on ITV's World of Sport. This was at a time when live coverage of sports was virtually non-existent. Perhaps speedway deserved a little more coverage but, all told, television coverage was respectable.

Speedway's decline really set in with the recession of the early-1980s and the rise of television-friendly sports such as snooker and darts. The loss of Wembley Stadium after 1981 was another blow. Furthermore, other sports adapted and increased in popularity, such as Rugby Union going professional. Speedway, on the other hand, seemed not to address changing times and descended into obscurity.

I still believe that there remains a residue of good feeling towards speedway abroad within the United Kingdom, but unless this good feeling is turned into attending meetings, it is difficult to see a true renaissance of the sport. Especially, as the residue can only exist as long as there are people who remember attending meetings in the past to pass this onto future generations.

What to do, I do not claim to know, but speedway need not necessarily be a "minority" sport indefinitely.

Regards

BilaHora

BilaHora, Sir,

I agree with your comments. At the risk of repeating myself, I believe the fault lies with promotion.

Promotion of a sport or any product, does not mean relying on word of mouth, as seems to be the case with speedway, but actively (and aggressively) marketing the product. It would be easy to blame local promotions but perhaps the root of the problem is at National level. I suggest that a clearly defined plan be drawn up by the BSPA to improve the marketing of speedway backed up by local initiatives.

At this point I cop out on the grounds that I am not, nor ever will be, an expert at marketing. However, a "supremo" well versed in such techniques would be able to set something up. It will cost money to employ such a person or persons, but the outlay could be quickly recouped.

Trouble is Promoters take a lot out but are not willing to put in, too much of speedway is a closed shop, if some one comes in and can do a job, but needs to shift some old deadwood, it is frowned upon and they quickly are moved out and lost to the sport.

Not being unkind, but you can count the good promoters on one hand, and it has been said many times, until you get a independant body in charge of the sport with no conections to a club this will not change.

Rules need to not just be made, but kept, not stupid double points rules, but real rules, realistic averages, no team could afford 7 numbers 1's and no number 1 would want to be at number 4,5,6 or 7 in a team.

What is wrong with Poole being the Manchester United of speedway?

They won't put more bums on their own seats, but they will when they travel to others and if they get beaten, great everyone goes home happy.

People are quick to knock our sport, our stars and our managers when they are successfull (such as Neil Middleditch), but maybe they should be setting thereselve the same high standards that are set down at Wimbourne Road.

We need a national team to be proud of, we came so close last year, but where will we be in 2010?, the Brit riders need to have targets and want to ride for Britain or ENGLAND as it used to be, they need backing and support. British speedway is better than Polish, Swedish, Danish and USA or used to be and that is the problem terms such as "USE TO BE", "USE TO GO" are heard more often than do go. This needs rectifying, but to get them back is going to be hard.

Than and only then will speedway be taken seriously.

Edited by tape2tapevideo

Maybe this is not the case but im sure that in the seventies the BBC wanted to use speedway as a replacement for cricket. But because of the lack of interest shown by the BBC in the past the BSPA told them no way. And so darts and snooker stepped in to fill the gap. I wonder if things would have been different if speedway had replaced cricket. Looking at cricket they changed their ways to attract the fans back and it seems to have worked. So why can't speedway change when it needs to.

Most people attending speedway are over 40, the sport is not attracting young people as there is so much more to do and most find it boring. Over the next 10 years the numbers will drop sharply, sad but true.

Why? Is everyone over 40 going to kick the bucket within the next 10 years? ;)

Depends on your view as a minority sport? Most sports are 'minority' compared to the big 4 or 5 and it depends on what country you're in. Is speedway a minority sport in Poland?

All comes down to marketing and until promoters get away from the safe 'family' image and start portaying it more as an extreme sport you will have a hope in hells chance of attracting a more youthful audience. I cringe when i hear this 'family' tag linked to speedway - it conforms to every boring, warm and fluffy, anoraky stereotype that exists.

Speedway in it's raw form is as extreme as any motorsport - that's the angle to go with not old boys with badges flasks and a rug!

Now beating a quick retreat from an army of old boys armed with flasks

Edited by rabbit

Been going to poland four many years, attendances down there and football now more popular than speedway. Think what you will but it will not get any better than it is now.

Been going to poland four many years, attendances down there and football now more popular than speedway. Think what you will but it will not get any better than it is now.

Must be very close if football is more popular.See here football has increased by 2.7%.From what i remember of the speedway figures they hold up quite well in comparison

too many old ppl go to speedway.

maybes that is why concessions are being cut?

we will have to wait and see what happens.

Most people attending speedway are over 40, the sport is not attracting young people as there is so much more to do and most find it boring. Over the next  10 years the numbers will drop sharply, sad but true.

First Norbold then everyone over 40 ;):P

All comes down to marketing and until promoters get away from the safe 'family' image and start portaying it more as an extreme sport you will have a hope in hells chance of attracting a more youthful audience. I cringe when i hear this 'family' tag linked to speedway - it conforms to every boring, warm and fluffy, anoraky stereotype that exists.

Speedway in it's raw form is as extreme as any motorsport - that's the angle to go with not old boys with badges flasks and a rug!

Now beating a quick retreat from an army of old boys armed with flasks

I agree and have said before a number of times,one of the biggest problems is the fans.To see a bunch of speedway fans is like looking at society's mis-fits.It hardly helps that speedway is staged at places like Mildenhall,Peterborough,Arena-Essex.....It's all set up not to be attractive to a large and young audience.It is well made for the camper van,deck-chair,jacket covered in badges with year bar brigade B)

Maybes if the likes of Lupus and Dyer stopped taking tippex to meetings with a plastic sheet to guard themselves from shale and a deckchairs, more kids would attend speedway. :approve: