British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mIcK50

Bars Handle, the history of.

I don't want to re-ignite the great handle bar debate that was doomed to find a tangent and go off on, but I would like to address whowasthatberntpersson's query about the handlebars he saw on some bikes ridden by the Russians. I seem to remember that some of the early model ESO's that came out in their own frames had handlebars that were fitted to the tops of the fork legs, much in the same way clip-on handle bars were fitted to road racers, instead of the usual set-up.

"Cowboy Bob Sharpe had such a bike as did Bert Kingston and ( I think ) his fellow Queenslander, Kev Torpie. They were common on the bikes of riders from the old Iron Curtain countries. Valeri Klementiev rode one in the 1969 World Final. Just how much value they were to him is open to debate, given the reports I read on the way he got around Wembley that night. It was written that he careered around, and all over the track in such an erratic manner, that even the great Barry Briggs couldn't get passed him!

By the way a tangent is a small, enclosed cart which was used to take condemned people to the executioner in the middle ages. Quite a lot of people have gone off on one. Not to be confused with a high dudgeon.

I heard a story many years back that the Russians used these bars to make it easier to transport their bikes.

Anyone know?

Crouch.

Psssssssst... Anyone wanna talk about Renthals? :?

Ivan Mauger style Renthals to be precise...

I believe them to be the most comfortable for the smaller riders while the Olsens were better suited to the taller riders? :?

Plus in retirement he designed handlebars for Jet Skis! 8) PS, DD's spelling is better than mine?

and made an impressive impact on the jet-ski world also

I had a pair of Ivan Mauger bars on my first grasstrack bike, but I didn't rent them, I bought them.

Guest DONY

I think you will find, most riders in this day an age use Moto X bars