British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tanya

10th Anniversary Meeting - Newport

In the local paper today there is quite a good sized article on how Tim Stone is looking to put on a 10th anniversary meeting at Newport this season. He wants to invite lots of former riders and is hoping to get Anders Henriksson over for the meeting. The likely date is May 6th.

Theres also some fixture dates in there the Scottish Meetings are provisionally 14th and 15th June. And the Birmingham Knock Out Cup matches are provisionally April 25th up there and the return on the following Sunday at Newport.

In the local paper today there is quite a good sized article on how Tim Stone is looking to put on a 10th anniversary meeting at Newport this season.  He wants to invite lots of former riders and is hoping to get Anders Henriksson over for the meeting.  The likely date is May 6th.

Theres also some fixture dates in there the Scottish Meetings are provisionally 14th and 15th June.  And the Birmingham Knock Out Cup matches are provisionally April 25th up there and the return on the following Sunday at Newport.

Will we see the return the one and only Smarty

It says Anders is ready to ride :)

Get Wato, Smarty, Anders, Emil Bjorn etc to ride. Would be worth getting Bobby Eldridge back on borrowed equiptment, OK he would probably be crap but its the fact they are back!

Can't see Smarty coming all the way over for it, though apparantly he will ride in Wato's testomonial.

Could be a potentially great meeting and a great day. Would be good to make a night of it and have a get together in the bar after it. :)

Definately this has to be a 'big' occasion definately a disco and karaoke night :)

So many riders I'd love to see back in Newport colours along with Wato it would have to be Anders, Emil :):) , Ben Howe, Wilko, Fryer, Neathy, Andrew Appleton and how about Puk too!

I hope that intend to invite Newport Legend Neil Street along to this meeting.

Best wishes,

Judy

Streety is always at Newport on a Sunday he is team manager. Neil is held in very high esteem at Newport and maybe there might be a befitting guesture given to him on the same day.

Edited by tanya

Dear Tanya,

I was thinking of something more than just his normal role as team manager, more like as the guest of honour. I remember watching him race over forty years ago at Wimbledon and Somerton Park. Not many today realise that Neil Street actually invented the four valve speedway engine.

Best wishes,

Judy

Edited by The Little Un

You don't have to tell us about Neil and what he's done, he's already told us. Neil is a lovely guy who is always great for a chat and has many stories to tell and he's only too happy to tell them. I've said it before and I'll say it again, someone needs to write a book about his time in the sport as there's not many who can claim to have been a rider, a manager, engine tuner/engineering guru, as well as a SWC winning team manager and grand father to a World Champion.

Edited by SCB

I agree with you Shawn somebody has to get a book out of Streety he has had such a fascinating time in Speedway. He is such a generous and kind man and it needs to be recognised in hardback.

Lot's of people talking about this meeting at the training school already speculating on who will be invited to ride. Most popular rider wanted was Frank Smart which came as no suprise. Although I can't see Frankie coming over to do two meetings this season.

Edited by tanya

For Bill to be honerd in this way is great to work with the man is a honer I have learn't so much from him things you can not learn from a book

just goes to prove your never too old to learn hey dave? ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, someone needs to write a book about his time in the sport as there's not many who can claim to have been a rider, a manager, engine tuner/engineering guru, as well as a SWC winning team manager and grand father to a World Champion.

Blimey! How big would a Neil Street book need to be to convey the multitude of stories Neil has to tell on just about every aspect of speedway?

A slightly different approach to the usual Retro and Tempus styles would be nice, with an up-tempo writing style more akin to Neil’s character…sort of like listening to a sagacious owl waxing lyrically, only in print, if you know what I mean.

I don’t know how many of you have read Jeff Scott’s books, but Jeff writes in a lovely off-beat style that captures the essence as if you are part of the conversation. I am sure Jeff would do justice in capturing Neil’s eloquence and bring his terrific spirit to the page.

Jeff, if you’re out there, go on…this great sport hardly has a bigger subject.

Blimey!  How big would a Neil Street book need to be to convey the multitude of stories Neil has to tell on just about every aspect of speedway?

A slightly different approach to the usual Retro and Tempus styles would be nice, with an up-tempo writing style more akin to Neil’s character…sort of like listening to a sagacious owl waxing lyrically, only in print, if you know what I mean.

I don’t know how many of you have read Jeff Scott’s books, but Jeff writes in a lovely off-beat style that captures the essence as if you are part of the conversation.  I am sure Jeff would do justice in capturing Neil’s eloquence and bring his terrific spirit to the page.

Jeff, if you’re out there, go on…this great sport hardly has a bigger subject.

The speed Neil talks at someone would need to be ultra quick at shorthand to keep up!

Got to agree though a book about Neil's life and times in and around speedway would be a good read. This has been mentioned to him by our family when we have spoken to him as well.

Getting back to the topic of this thread though and why has no one mentioned everyone's favourite Wasp Glenn Cunningham riding in this meeting? :lol:

Maybe he will be a full time Wasp again by then though!

Getting back to the topic of this thread though and why has no one mentioned everyone's favourite Wasp Glenn Cunningham riding in this meeting?

We try not to mention him as much as possible.

Neil is held in very high esteem at Newport

Not just at Newport but right around the Speedway Globe.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, someone needs to write a book about his time in the sport as there's not many who can claim to have been a rider, a manager, engine tuner/engineering guru, as well as a SWC winning team manager and grand father to a World Champion.

And, having visited his abode here in Oz I can exclusively reveal that he makes his own jam when here too! :blink:

In addition, a visit to his workshop situated under his house really is mind boggling - I don't think Streety EVER throws anything away! :lol:

Edited by Bryn