British Speedway Forum
Phil

The Garry Stead Benefit “grand Prix”

Gonna be great to see Mort & Lee racing again, Memories of Chris Morton flying round Hyde Road in the early 80's against the likes of Lee, Carter, Penhall, Gundersen, Crump snr, Sigalos, Nielsen, Shooey - win lose or draw it was fantastic to watch. Michael Lee the guy who should've won the world title two or three times, what a talent he was. Bring it on!

Gonna be great to see Mort & Lee racing again, Memories of Chris Morton flying round Hyde Road in the early 80's against the likes of Lee, Carter, Penhall, Gundersen, Crump snr, Sigalos, Nielsen, Shooey - win lose or draw it was fantastic to watch. Michael Lee the guy who should've won the world title two or three times, what a talent he was. Bring it on!

yeah theres no doubt that it will be good been mainly before my time, i think belle vue should let chris morton sign for bv in place of skornicki, hed probs be better. :blink::D

After seeing a lot of stuff about the Morton v Lee match race, can anyone confirm what part Ermolenko, Collins, Carr and Mogridge are playing? Will it be the four of them against each other in their own set of races.

This is gonna be a pretty amazing meeting, and hopefully will make lots for Steady. I'm gutted its on a Thursday (though I'm told Sheffield can only race on monday/thursday nights as all other nights the dogs are there?), as I cant book time off work to go.

Hope everyone that goes enjoys it, however.

Shame Sky dont go - didnt I read somewhere EL teams get paid a decent amount for a visit? It'd be nice if that could go to Steadys fund for that meeting - though I suppose they dont want to publicise a benefit for a rider since for that they'd have to publicise Steadys accident. :rolleyes:

Would like to wish Garry a Memorable and Successful Night. Unfortunately I can not make the meeting as I will be out of the country. Wondered if it was going to be filmed and put out on DVD at a later date to benefit Garry??

Good luck have a great night.

Edited by speedyboy

Guest Steve Dixon
Wondered if it was going to be filmed and put out on DVD at a later date to benefit Garry??

I would imagine that would be a definate!

Nice gesture and I hope it raises a lot of money on Garry's behalf...

but....

just wish these things were done on a raffle basis as opposed to a highest bidder wins auction giving the 'average' fan a chance of winning it. Sure there must be a few fans who would find an extra fiver if it gave them 5 £1 chances of winning, and wouldn't 500 £1 tickets sold be better than a winning £350 bid (or whatever?)

Still I applaud Mr. Ackroyd for his generosity

Yeah agreed, I'd love to take a match in in the refs box but would never be able to bid anything like people do, at least that way more have the chance. That's not poopooing the auction and kudos to the person that bids the highest!

I have just noticed this and can't see anything about it on here so thought I would pass on the message!!!

TAKEN FROM THE PETERBOROUGH PANTHERS FORUM

A superb painting has been commissioned by talented Peterborough artist Julian Vosper of Panthers British star Danny King racing in his 2007 Panthers kevlars.

We've decided, with Danny's permission, to put the first one available up for auction to raise money for Garry Stead who was unfortunately paralysed in a track crash at Somerset Speedway earlier in the season.

Its on ebay right now under item number 280140721874.

The scan on ebay really does not do the print justice, but it does look fabulous and will be even better when framed and signed.

It would be great to raise plenty of money through the 'Panthers and speedway family' for such a worthy cause and as it says on ebay, it will be signed by the artist and Danny himself and will also be framed with all costs covered by us.

So please, get bidding folks!

Many thanks,

Steve & Sarah Miles

c/o DK Racing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...:MESE:IT&ih=018

Recognising that many of you will be travelling from afar we have pegged the admission prices to our usual level. We would rather have more fans celebrating Garry's career than price them out at £15 plus plus plus. The programme is a magazine with only one advertisement, 28 pages of copy and photographs, it does contain the race card but at £4.00 is excellent value.

Under 12's free - we also recognise that a number of youngsters want to make a contribution so there will be collecting boxes for say 50p or a £1.00 of their pocket money if they so wish. We don't want to offend anyone's dignity on this.

Official Passes will admit 1 person only, no guests and our Rotweillers on the pit gate will take a paper contribution from every passholder, their guests pay on.

I am tempted to charge passholders £30 for having the audacity ;

For the record here is the Press release on the pricing strategy

Steady as you go”

With only a few days to go before the Garry Stead Benefit Grand Prix Speedway meeting Co-Promoters, Neil Machin and David Hoggart, have announced their admission strategy and it is very much business as usual at the Owlerton venue.

Admission has been pegged at the regular Premier League weekly rates of;

Adults £12.00 OAP’s £9.00 Children Aged 12 – 16, £5.00

Children Under 12 FREE

Neil Machin commented “We are indebted to Cyril Chell from Easy Rider Motor Cycles who has taken on the main sponsorship and allowed this to happen. Everyone is working on a voluntary basis but there are some hard costs and Cyril has covered this”.

The Sheffield club have produced a 28 page glossy colour magazine featuring Stead, who is paralysed following a track crash in May, Co-Promoter Hoggart is full of enthusiasm “The quality is excellent with only 1 advertisement, editorial from Garry and superb photography it will rank as one of the best ever. Elvis Jones has designed the cover and we have already been offered £1,000 for the original artwork which is signed by the 2007 British Grand Prix Riders” The cover price for the magazine is £4.00.

Donations may be sent payable to, “Garry Stead Benefit Fund” c/o Yorkshire Bank, 14 High Street, Alfreton, DE55 7BB or paid in at any Yorkshire Bank branch quoting the above detail.

Guest Steve Dixon

Will the back straight be open? would imagine this will be one of the biggest atendances anywhere this season. :D:D

Will the back straight be open? would imagine this will be one of the biggest atendances anywhere this season.  :D  :D

I did hear that there was talk of it, and by the sounds of the planned crowds I think that might have to, I don't know whether they have to get special permission to open it up, I know that they had it open for Sean Wilson's meeting.

Will the back straight be open? would imagine this will be one of the biggest atendances anywhere this season.  :D  :D

Think it will be, or it might get very cramped.

We'd like to offer to run a 'Beat The Starter' Speedway Simulator at the Garry Stead Meeting next Thursday to raise some extra funds but I can't find a contact number on any of the sites to offer our services, if anyone can help can they please PM me??? ot text me on 07813 846250.

Cheers

Chris Simpson

Eazy Oils PR

This is shaping up to be a cracking evening, can't wait! Not that it really matters in the great scheme of things, but any takers for a winner for this one?

I'd go with Lingren, Compton, Simon Stead and Zorro in the final, Steady to win it!