British Speedway Forum
redlead

No Black Arm Bands For Kenny.

After showing no respect for Kenny Smith on Monday, I was hoping that there would have been a show of respact for Kenny last night, but once again it was missing. I find this totally disgraceful, Team GB should hang thier heads in shame.

After showing no respect for Kenny Smith on Monday, I was hoping that there would have been a show of respact for Kenny last night, but once again it was missing. I find this totally disgraceful, Team GB should hang thier heads in shame.

I assume you've emailed the bspa / teamgb or whoever else as well have you ?

There was an ex rider who died last week also, so is it disgraceful he wasn't remembered either.

Don't get me wrong here, its a valid question from you i guess, and it would have been nice to see him remembered in that way - but calling it disgraceful and saying people should hang their heads in shame is way way over the top.

I would be pretty surprised to see, let's say, the Polish team with armbands on to remember a manager from, for example, Poznan.

To be honest, i can't really think of any other sport other than football that does it much if at all.

Aim your anger at Ole Olsen nothing happens at a world cup meeting without his permission, but I'll bet if you mentioned Kenny's name to him he would say Kenny who ?. Marks of respect are being made around British tracks but this was an international meeting.

Whilst the passing of any one connected with our sport should be given due respect and recognition as with the former rider who recently died, I feel that in the case of Kenny Smith, he was in post as it were when he died, and after devoting most of His life to speedway, from bike pusher at Cleveland Park to manager/promoter at Scunthorpe, and after being instumental in the careers of some of British speedways brightest prospects, Auty,Haines and Woofenden, I feel it was a disgrace that in the British round of the S.W.C on the day he passed away, no one, management, riders, or former riders paid any respect to Kenny. As far as I'm aware there was no minute silence.

I've seen in other sports black arm bands worn out of respect, football, rugby, cricket, athletes have worn black ribbons, Motor GP, Formular one, Indy cars have all held a minutes silence on the starting grid prior a race being started. Where as I would'nt of expected a minutes silence in Poland on Thursday, I would have thought a silence would'nt have been out of the question at Peterborough.

Your assumption is correct, I have contacted the B.S.P.A and I'm awaiting a reply.

As you say Ole Olsen is in charge of the meeting, I can't see him refusing a request from the Team GB management to wear black arm bands, I could be wrong, But I don't think a request would be refused.

Whilst the passing of any one connected with our sport should be given due respect and recognition as with the former rider who recently died, I feel that in the case of Kenny Smith, he was in post as it were when he died, and after devoting most of His life to speedway, from bike pusher at Cleveland Park to manager/promoter at Scunthorpe, and after being instumental in the careers of some of British speedways brightest prospects, Auty,Haines and Woofenden, I feel it was a disgrace that in the British round of the S.W.C on the day he passed away, no one, management, riders, or former riders paid any respect to Kenny. As far as I'm aware there was no minute silence.

I've seen in other sports black arm bands worn out of respect, football, rugby, cricket, athletes have worn black ribbons, Motor GP, Formular one, Indy cars have all held a minutes silence on the starting grid prior a race being started. Where as I would'nt of expected a minutes silence in Poland on Thursday, I would have thought a silence would'nt have been out of the question at Peterborough.

Your assumption is correct, I have contacted the B.S.P.A and I'm awaiting a reply.

As you say Ole Olsen is in charge of the meeting, I can't see him refusing a request from the Team GB management to wear black arm bands, I could be wrong, But I don't think a request would be refused.

You keep using the word "disgrace"...maybe if the authorities actually refused to allow the team to wear armbands, then by all means, call it a disgrace, but for overlooking it...disgrace isn't the word. Disappointing yes...disgrace no.

You said "no one, management, riders, or former riders paid any respect to Kenny" - that's only an assumption by you there...no one knows if the team gb manager didnt mention it in any team talks he might have had. And who knows if for example Woffinden might have had a quiet thought about him during the evening ? No one knows...bit harsh to assume things just because you didnt see them yourself.

The other sports you mentioned may well wear armbands when high profile figures pass away, but again, i'm sorry, but put a football spin on it - would the England football team wear black armbands if the Scunthorpe United football manager had died ?

Sorry to sound harsh, but they just wouldn't.

Clearly you have strong opinions on it, and fair play to you - i hope the bspa or whoever get back to you with a response that you don't find is a disgrace.

With no disrespect intended to the memory of Kenny Smnith or anyone mourning him, it's not as if he was a major figure in the sport. He was a team manager for a junior side, and only stepped up into team management in the second tier in the past couple of years. His passing is sad, but really not worth noting at a meeting of such stature of the SWC, which should be reserved for riders who rode on that stage.

With no disrespect intended to the memory of Kenny Smnith or anyone mourning him, it's not as if he was a major figure in the sport. He was a team manager for a junior side, and only stepped up into team management in the second tier in the past couple of years. His passing is sad, but really not worth noting at a meeting of such stature of the SWC, which should be reserved for riders who rode on that stage.

Sorry I disagree -

To many he is a major figure in the sport

Sorry I disagree -

He might have been in UK, but I don't think out in Europe.

I have never heard about the guy. . .

But then again, it does not mean anything that I don't know him.

I just don't think it is fair to blame international speedway in this case.

Furthermore the fact that he had passed away has to be known by the people you expect a reaction from. If they don't know anything, then they can't do anything. .

Simple as that.

Sorry I disagree -

I mean no disrespect but in 30+ years of following speedway I'd never heard of him before the thread on here.

To my mind, he wasn't a major figure in British speedway.

I mean no disrespect but in 30+ years of following speedway I'd never heard of him before the thread on here.

If you didn't know Kenny Smith was, then you're more than a little out of touch.

I was a little put out by the lack of a minute's silence at Peterborough on Monday.

All the best

Rob

I mean no disrespect but in 30+ years of following speedway I'd never heard of him before the thread on here....

If you didn't know Kenny Smith was, then you're more than a little out of touch.

That's a wee bit unfair LS. I had never heard of him either - probably because I concentrate on EL and not the other leagues.

Same here.

Its a sad loss to the sport but I wouldnt have known who he was either.

I have said in a previous discusion that it is important for the British domestic leagues to remember him but I am not suprised this was not done for an international.

I was a little put out by the lack of a minute's silence at Peterborough on Monday.

All the best

Rob

Rob, I will be totally honest with you, I wasn't aware of Kenny's sad passing until I got back home after the event and I have to say it took the shine off the day for me personally. I dare say many or all of the people working at the stadium all day long to put the event on, were not aware either. Had we (Peterborough) known, we would have asked the organisers to hold a minutes silence, but I am unsure whether they would have done. However, Peterborough will be holding a minutes silence in Kenny's memory at our next home match against Wolves this coming Thursday.

Sorry I disagree -

i have to agree with you he has brought man rider on some of whwom are now in the elite leauge .

and a friend to many more juniors world champs and fans .

and one nice hell of a guy.

Sorry I disagree -

And by the same token, he clearly wasn't, to a lot of others.

As harsh as it sounds, if he was a major figure to everyone, there would no doubt have been some gesture made by teamgb.