British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
frenchy

Southern League 1929 & 1930

Can anyone supply me with riders scores (preferably heat details) for the Southern League in 1929 & 1930 ? The Speedway Researcher site has details for the Northern League and I've got a few for non-League teams but nothing from the South.

Cheers.

Can anyone supply me with riders scores (preferably heat details) for the Southern League in 1929 & 1930 ? The Speedway Researcher site has details for the Northern League and I've got a few for non-League teams but nothing from the South.

Cheers.

Re the 1930 Southern League: I have been trying for some time to get the team squads for use on

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/index.cgi

The 1930 league appears to be something of a mystery. There may be results in Speedway News for that year - copies possibly on file at the newspaper museum at Colindale, north London.

The London Speedway site does carry the team squads for 1929 but does not go into match results. I wish you good luck in your research.

Edited by speedyguy

Re the 1930 Southern League: I have been trying for some time to get the team squads for use on

The 1930 league appears to be something of a mystery. There may be results in Speedway News for that year - copies possibly on file at the newspaper museum at Colindale, north London.

The London Speedway site does carry the team squads for 1929 but does not go into match results. I wish you good luck in your research.

The results of all the matches are printed in Robert Bamforth's "Speedway - The Pre-War Years". That is just the results, not all the scorers.

All the full results are certainly in the Speedway News for 1930. There is no mystery about them.

The results of all the matches are printed in Robert Bamforth's "Speedway - The Pre-War Years". That is just the results, not all the scorers.

All the full results are certainly in the Speedway News for 1930. There is no mystery about them.

Hi Norbold:

It was a mystery to me in the sense I couldn't find the line-ups in a collated format :rolleyes: All other pre-war years are in either Stenners or The People Guide. My other usual research is the Speedway Researcher. Guess that I'll have to go to Colindale - one of these days - and browse the Speedway News for the line-ups/squads for 1930!!!

I don't need the results, so I'll pass on getting a copy of Robert Bamforth's book.

Well I can tell you who rode for Wembley, Crystal Palace and Coventry in 1930:

Wembley:

Jack Ormston

Colin Watson

Stan Catlett

Harry Whitfield

Arthur Atkinson

George Greenwood

Buster Frogley

Crystal Palace:

Roger Frogley

Triss Sharp

Ron Johnson

Clem Mitchell

Joe Francis

Wally Lloyd

Jack Barrett

Harry Shepherd

Coventry:

Jack Parker

Norman Parker

George Allbrook

John Deeley

Lew Lancaster

Tiny Timms

Bill Stanley

Cecil Walker

Tom Farndon

How's that for a start?

Edited by norbold

Well I can tell you who rode for Wembley, Crystal Palace an Coventry in 1930:

Wembley:

Jack Ormston

Colin Watson

Stan Catlett

Harry Whitfield

Arthur Atkinson

George Greenwood

Buster Frogley

Crystal Palace:

Roger Frogley

Triss Sharp

Ron Johnson

Clem Mitchell

Joe Francis

Wally Lloyd

Jack Barrett

Harry Shepherd

Coventry:

Jack Parker

Norman Parker

George Allbrook

John Deeley

Lew Lancaster

Tiny Timms

Bill Stanley

Cecil Walker

Tom Farndon

How's that for a start?

Many thanks norbold. I am only interested in the London teams, but I fancy that the main poster would like all the 1930 Southern Leageu squads? :unsure:

Thanks chaps. Was looking for result/rider score wise but everything gratefully accepted (just can't get along to the British Library, will have to wait until they've put everything on-line).

Any help with the 1930 line-ups for Stamford Bridge, Lea Bridge, West Ham, High Beech, Harringay, would be appreciated.

Stamford Bridge: Frank Arthur, Wal Phillips, Gus Kuhn...

Lea Bridge: Jimmy Stevens, Stew Fairbairn, Alf Foulds, Reg Stanley, Howie Osment, Harold Hastings, Alec Slow, Charlie Spinks

West Ham: Tiger Stevenson, Bluey Wilkinson, Tommy Croombs, Arthur Westwood, Allen Kilfoyle, Bert Jones, Don Durrant

Harringay: Vic Huxley, Colin Watson, Eric Spencer, Stan Spencer, Alf Sawford, Will Dennis, Jack Kidwell, Lou Burger, Howard Traynor, Geo Preston, Ron Thompson, Ben Unwin.

High Beech: Jack Barnett, Syd Edmonds, Phil Bishop, George Bishop, Stan Baines, Stan Taylor, Charlie King

May I suggest you invest in copies of "Speedway in London" and "Speedway in the South East"? All the information you ever wanted to know is in those two books...or, at least, the above line-ups are! :wink:

Edited by norbold

Stamford Bridge: Frank Arthur, Wal Phillips, Gus Kuhn...

Lea Bridge: Jimmy Stevens, Stew Fairbairn, Alf Foulds, Reg Stanley, Howie Osment, Harold Hastings, Alec Slow, Charlie Spinks

West Ham: Tiger Stevenson, Bluey Wilkinson, Tommy Croombs, Arthur Westwood, Allen Kilfoyle, Bert Jones, Don Durrant

Harringay: Vic Huxley, Colin Watson, Eric Spencer, Stan Spencer, Alf Sawford, Will Dennis, Jack Kidwell, Lou Burger, Howard Traynor, Geo Preston, Ron Thompson, Ben Unwin.

High Beech: Jack Barnett, Syd Edmonds, Phil Bishop, George Bishop, Stan Baines, Stan Taylor, Charlie King

May I suggest you invest in copies of "Speedway in London" and "Speedway in the South East"? All the information you ever wanted to know is in those two books...or, at least, the above line-ups are! :wink:

Norbold, you really are a gem... :wink: Many thanks for this.

Given that many riders of the era used some quite colourful nicknames, I'm surprised Alec didn't.

Or perhaps he did and was being ironic!

Any idea if that was his real name Norman?

I have a list of these riders as Wimbledon's 1929 Southern League team. I am certain it is incorrect as many 'star' riders are listed. Does anyone have any ideas about that season's Dons' side please?

1929 WIMBLEDON: Jim Kempster (captain), Sonny Wilson, Alf Sawford, Jack Kidwell, Alf Summersby, Dudley Cox, Bert Garrish, Mart Seiffert, Cecil Brown, Sid Cambers, Freddy Cooper, Dudley Cox, Les Dearth, Vic Huxley, John Leete, Howard Traynor.

Edited by speedyguy

Hilary Buchanan, Cec Brown, Sid Chambers, Fred Cooper, Clem Cort, Dudley Cox, Les Dearth, Dank Ewen, Del Forster, Bert Gerrish, Jack Kidwell, John Leete, Fred Osborne, Alf Sawford, Mart Seiffert, Eddie Slade-Jones, Stan Spencer, Jimmy Stevens, Alf Summersby, Rube (Sonny) Wilson plus Jim Kempster and Vic Huxley after Star riders were allowed in.

Cort, Foster and Spencer also appeared for Harringay.

Edited by norbold