British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

World Finals Of The 70s

WHAT OTHERS HAVE SAID...

Just want to say how much I’ve enjoyed the DVD. The period exactly matches my own golden age of speedway since being taken to see the WCQR at Belle Vue as a 10-year-old in 1970 and seeing the World Champion (Ivan of course) at the very first opportunity. By 1979 I'd begun to find other things to do and Belle Vue, as a power, were fading along with my interest.

This DVD has brought back so many memories and filled in so much missing detail that just wasn't available to us at the time. It's clear that you have the respect of all the boys because there is a wonderful warmth that comes over through your interviews. I never expected them to be so candid.

Ivan is a much more generous person than you would have guessed at the time, and the reminiscences of Peter Collins and Ole Olsen are just wonderful. Ole's comments really had me laughing.

I can truly say that "I was there" because I went to all of the three Wembley finals (as well as the 1974 European Final). Your DVD isn't just a record of some great sporting moments, it's a moving scrapbook of my teenage years. I can only thank you for all your efforts.

Ian Harwood

http://www.retro-speedway.com

Mary Whitehouse lives!

Oh, come on, please. We're all grown ups here, aren't we?

You're right, we do add a warning at the very beginning about the occasional use of strong language, so if you have any children in the viscinity who are likely to sit down and watch a 4-hour double DVD about apeedway in the 70s, then the warning note is there to alert you to cover their ears. Or wait until they've gone to bed until you play it!

Will get this DVD at some point, did Barry Briggs HAVE to swear in his interview, it's pretty unprofessional and unnecessary surely?

Will get this DVD at some point, did Barry Briggs HAVE to swear in his interview, it's pretty unprofessional and unnecessary surely?

I thought I fully explained the circumstances in my earlier reponse.

Yes you did, I hadn't read it, till now, all your fault then!!

WHAT OTHERS HAVE SAID...

I've just finished watching your fantastic 1970s World Finals DVD. I loved every minute of it.

I began watching Coventry in 1975, so only saw one final in the 70s and that was Wembley 1978, but the DVD was great. I was immediately transported back through the years.

It was good both to see the action and to hear the comments today of the riders as they looked back. So thank you so much for producing it.

I just love Backtrack magazine and have been a subscriber right from the start. Thank you for a fantastic magazine too.

Julia Wilson

http://www.retro-speedway.com

Barry Briggs has been a Hero to me since I first got interested in Speedway 46 years ago. The man is a true Legend of the Sport. I have been fortunate enough to have met him on a number of occasions over the last five or six years. He is still my Hero. He had time to talk to me, allowed me to have my photograph taken with him and was at all times a perfect Gentleman in the true sense of the word.

So he used some industrial language on a DVD - So what - a warning was given. Speedway is a tough Sport and Riders have to be tough to take part in it. A few swear words won't tarnish my memories of 'Briggo' - in fact it could be said that he is showing an obvious passion for the Sport.

Finally - 'Briggo' has my total admiration for what he is attempting to do for our disabled Speedway Riders - it is good to see that even at his age - 'Briggo' has not yet settled for his pipe and slippers.

Near the start of the DVD, there is mention of the fact that no footage exists from the 1970 World Final.

If you check out the Ivan Mauger documentary 'Circuits Of Gold", there, apparently, is film from the final.

Near the start of the DVD, there is mention of the fact that no footage exists from the 1970 World Final.

If you check out the Ivan Mauger documentary 'Circuits Of Gold", there, apparently, is film from the final.

There is coverage of one heat, which shows Ivan holding his nerve (and line) under severe pressure from two (unidentifiable) riders - it's the same clip which is available on YouTube

Incidentally, Circuits of Gold is available to view online if you Google it