British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Guest Rules - Poll And Discussions…

Do you think the new Guest rules are a good idea?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the new Guest rules are a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

I like the theory that injured riders will more likely be replaced but it is a pity this may favour foreign riders more as Tsunami suggests.

Except perhaps in the case of those PL riders who don't make the jump to EL due to expectations of higher earnings in the PL.

Again I see your point Tsunami. Maybe I should get a job with the BSPA as I didn't think it through properly :lol::)

Not only that but where - prey tell - to all these unattached riders come from?

There are usually one or two on the sidelines at the start of the year who are soon snapped up as soon as any injuries hit.

If you lose a second heat leader on say 8.00 - how do you replace him?

If you are under the 45 point limit you could go out and get a 9.00 foreigner but if you are over you are pretty much stuffed.

Effectively you have to ship out a lower order rider (say replace a 4 pointer with a 3 pointer) and axe your injured rider to bring in a 9 point rider.

This will cuase howls of protest if anyone has to do it.

The wording of the new rule is confusing. Does it mean you can only have a guest when the rider named at No.1 in your team line-up is out - or does it mean your No. 1 in terms of your rider with the highest average ?

I took it to mean your named, top, ( grade A or B ) rider, at the start of the season. I don't think it means whoever is top of the averages at the time of the injury...I think... :blink::rolleyes:

If it meant the rider who is the top of the teams averages in say June for arguements sake then there's another potential pitfall. Lets use Cov as an example, because this is possible with them. If they sign AJ and BJ it's possible that AJ could have a slightly dodgy season and that BJ could put another point on his average. So lets say that they are both averaging around 8.80 by mid-season. AJ has a slightly higher average and picks up a long term injury (say 6/8 weeks). Before he is ready to return BJ could have upped his average a fraction and become Cov new number one in the current averages (at that time). BJ picks up an injury, doesn't mater if he's out days or weeks. Would Cov be allowed to continue using a guest for AJ, who could still be out for a week or 2, and a guest for BJ???

Confused!!! :mad:

:wink::P

Edited by 21st century heathen

Yeah, but the grading system doesn't apply to PL so what happens there ? All it says is "the team's No. 1 rider" - now that could mean the guy who wears the No. 1 race jacket, it could mean your highest average at the start of the season, your highest average at that time etc etc etc

Clarification needed !

I have always though that when you refer to your buber one you refer to the guy highest in the averages. eg. your number 1 ride in the EL/PL/CLRC. Not the guy at number one.

SCB

Likewise. The only problem I can see is if two riders on very close averages cross over on the introduction of averages. A guest booked for one may not be able to guest for the other but I suppose there is enough time to replace him.

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

That should not be a problem if the rules say the rider who is number one at the start of the year OR they do averages the same as this year, the averages are rom 15th to 15th but used from 1st to 1st, that gives 2 weeks for the promoters to get the averages. No different to knowing whether or not a rider is a heatleader/second string or second string/heatleader and thats never caused probalems in the past.

SCB

I think the averages will decide each month who is number 1 but as U say they have two weeks to change the guest.

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

I think the question being asked by the poll is meaningless. Yes, most of us wish to see the abolition or reduction of guests, but adequate alternatives must be made available.

I do believe that fans have become too conditioned to thinking that teams should not be weakened by injuries, when this is usually the case in every other sport. However, the loss of a heat-leader is arguably far more devasting for a speedway team than say a star midfielder is for a football team.

What are teams going to do if they lose 3 or more riders in the lower order (i.e. Nos. 2 to 7), as the rules only seem to make provision for two doubling-up riders and R/R? I can't see that using BCL riders is going to be acceptable.

I fully agree that last season was farcical, but this would have been an ideal time to introduce a proper squad system, perhaps still allowing guests if two or more heat-leaders were missing. The additional riders could be a combination of those doubling-up in the BPL and a number of substitute foreigners.

I feel it is a step in the right direction but needs a bit more thought and tweaking.

I think it needs a lot more than just tweaking :P

Surely you haven't forgotten the time when Edinburgh had all three heatleaders out injured at the same time :cry: Thank goodness it didn't last for too long and also that we had a less than full PL fixture list at that time.

But what would happen if the same scenario strikes any team next season? There does not seem to be have been any provision made for teams experiencing this.