British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Top 20 Brits Of The 80s

Following on from our Top 20 Brits of the 70s in issue 39, we'll be doing the same exercise and compiling a Top 20 Brits of the 80s in our next issue (No.41).

I'd be interested to know how others see it. Who would be you top 3, or maybe you fancy having a stab at the full 20?

It's a tricky one because some of the leading contenders, notably Kenny Carter and Mike Lee, only did the business for part of the decade, but their achievements at top level in that period (in World Championship events and for England) would, in the eyes of many, merit a higher overall ranking than others (the Grahame bros, for instance) who were very consistent THROUGHOUT the 10-season period, 1980-89.

Let the debate begin...

Edited by tmc

Steve Lawson should be in there - Consistently near to the top of the averages for many years and did so at an unfashionable club and poor team.

Consistently near to the top of the averages for many years and did so at an unfashionable club and poor team.

Aye, but it were National League!

With all due respect to Stevie and his supreme efforts for the Tigers over yonks, can't see any NL stars sneaking in to this list.

How about for the number 1 Brit to be Chris Morton followed by Wigg & John Davis. After that in no order I suggest - the Grahame brothers, Tatum, Marvyn Cox, Peter Collins & from the second division Steve Lawson, Barry Thomas, Steve Wilcock & especially Joe Owen. With the exception of Owen I've suggested riders who were around for all, or most, of the decade and at a high level (well maybe one bad year each).

& from the second division Steve Lawson, Barry Thomas, Steve Wilcock & especially Joe Owen.

You can rule out any second division riders. How can any competing in the second tier, racing against second tier opposition, possibly be considered for a place in the Top 20 Brits of the 80s?

• Like 1

Ok here goes, my top 20 brits of the 80s.

1. Kenny Carter (and i used to boo him!!!). But man he was fast.

2. Chris Morton (great rider, not sure about manager!!!).

3. Mike Lee (never saw him at his peak as i started going end of 82, but having since watched the 80 final, he was awesome.

4. Simon Wigg (the most complete motorcyclist of all time, be it on shale or grass).

5. Peter Collins (not as dominant as in the previous decade, but a world team cup win and three pairs titles puts him up there.

6. Kelvin Tatum (ok he was a start tart!!but for a large part of the decade he was one of the few brits that could mix it with those pesky Danes!!). Also our last world team cup championship winning skipper!!!

7. Jem Doncaster (world number three and world team cup winner, great team man at Ippo and Reading).

8. Marvyn Cox (always thought Marv would have gone further on the world stage, but boy could he go at the old hyde road, plus as a world under 21 champ, he gets my vote).

9. Andy FOXY Smith (ok im a bit biased as he was one of my favs as a kid, remember thinking he was certain to be a multi world champion, still great to watch, very much in the Collins Mort mould.

10. Alan Grahme (sure he was never a superstar, but as team man he was second to non, a Cradley legend, god knows how many 5-1s he got the Heathens with Phil Collins.

11. Les Collins (strange that Les was only a the very top for a few years, otherwise he would be much higher on my list, close to ultimate glory in 82, im also sure he won a BLRC??).

12. Phil Collins (remember him winning an overseas final at hyde road, the track was like a sodding bog!!). Very similar in style and action to his older more illustrious brother PC. Another Cradley stalwart.

13. Simon Cross (very unlucky with injuries as i feel he could have gone even further, great to watch).

14. Andy Grahame (more of a gater than his brother Al, but 82 british champion and close again in 83 gets him on the list).

15. Martin Duggard (not everyones cup of tea, but he really impressed me when he moved to Oxford, and did the business, pretty hard rider as well!!!).

16. Peter B52 Carr (the bomber, he actually improved when he left BV for Sheffield!!man he could fly at Owleton).

17. Dave Jessup (probably should be higher, but by the time i started going DJ was on the wane, his best years were in the 70s, although a world team cup win and no2 to Lee in 80, probably proves im doing him an injustice!!At number 17!!!).

18. Andy Silver (NL Legend, never made the mark at world level, but man he could hang off a bike!!Rubbish at gating but would find lines, other riders couldnt!!).

19. John Davis (never a huge fan, but he was always consistant, made the most of his talent, as i dont think he could be classed as a natural.)

20. Paul Thorp (if Hyde road would have remained Thorpy would have become an aces legend, he was awesome around there in 87, pitty he was so bad at Kirky lane, did a sterling job at Odsal with Bradford).

Ok thats it, boy my fingers are hurting, pretty sure ive missed out someone but hey thats life!!!

This one is tricky. For starters, who should be the No.1? Unlike the 1970s (where everyone plumped for Peter Collins), there isn't an obvious candidate.

Michael Lee was our only individual World Speedway Champion of the decade and could mix it and beat the best, but as an effective force, he was snubbed out with his ban in early 1984.

Kenny Carter didn't fulfil his potential (his list of honours is quite short, especially on the international stage) and again he rode for little than over half the decade.

Chris Morton did last the decade, and he won a few things, but never finished above eighth in a World Final - so he never shone at the biggest stage of all.

Simon Wigg won four British League titles (with Cradleay Heath and Oxford) and also won two Longtrack titles during the decade, but should someone whose main focus was away from speedway be the best Brit of the 1980s?

Peter Collins won more World titles (three Pairs and one WTC) than any other Brit in the 1980s, but while still a great rider, he was past his best in the 1980s (largely due to a painful injury sustained at the conclusion of 1980).

Kelvin Tatum is another under consideration, but I don't feel he's quite the Best Brit of the entire decade.

Hmmmmm, this one needs a little more thought than the 1970s.

All the best

Rob

1. Kenny Carter (and i used to boo him!!!). But man he was fast.

I can't agree with Carter as No. 1. Away from domestic British Speedway (couple of British Finals and couple of BLRCs), he won the 1983 World Pairs with Peter Collins. And that's it. Never finished on a single World Individual Final rostrum either. Carter flattered to decieve at the highest levels of the sport.

He never inspired Halifax to win anything either.

Carter's talent alone places him in the top 5 British riders of the 1980s. But he lacks the roll of honour to push himself into the top couple of positions, which should be reserved for winners.

All the best

Rob

He never inspired Halifax to win anything either.

All the best

Rob

Come on thats hardly Carters fault, Halifax were a one man team, he had virtually no backup!!!Only reason to watch Halifax was to watch KC!!Well that and the shay was a top racing track. Two BLRCs (when it was a meeting worth winning!!!). Two British finals in the decade (did anyone win any more than 2 over the 80s??). That said im still shocked that someone things J Davis should be ranked third!!! :blink: I must have spent the decade in some sort of parrell universe, biggest think JD did in the 80s was wear PINK leathers!!!!! :wink:

Come on thats hardly Carters fault, Halifax were a one man team, he had virtually no backup!!!Only reason to watch Halifax was to watch KC!!Well that and the shay was a top racing track. Two BLRCs (when it was a meeting worth winning!!!). Two British finals in the decade (did anyone win any more than 2 over the 80s??). That said im still shocked that someone things J Davis should be ranked third!!! :blink: I must have spent the decade in some sort of parrell universe, biggest think JD did in the 80s was wear PINK leathers!!!!! :wink:

I was surprised at JD in someone's top three!! I'm working on my own top 20 (got a list of sorts, but want to check it with the lists of BL averages first, because at the moment, my list is decided largely on honours). JD is likely to feature, but at the bottom of the list rather than the top!

As for Carter's honours, OK maybe Halifax can't be pinned on his door (although sometimes an inspirational No. 1 can propel a team to success), but how about the fact he never won a single international round of the World Championship?

All the best

Rob

Guess its all down to opinions, you do make a valid point ref Carters qualifying rounds, although he was usually partly injured/knackered!!!Broken leg in 84 overseas and 85 intercontinental. Came close in 85 overseas, but for a great cut back from the mighty Shooey!!! :) One rider i didnt submit (well forgot!!) is Richard Knight, probably worthy of making the top 20 really. Just shows how many genuine class riders we had in the decade, sadly something thats lacking at the moment!! :sad:

You can rule out any second division riders. How can any competing in the second tier, racing against second tier opposition, possibly be considered for a place in the Top 20 Brits of the 80s?

I know where you're coming from tmc! :)

However, no criteria was mentioned for qualifying as a Top 20 rider .. so I chanced my arm with someone who I feel should get more credit for what he achieved! ;)

I know where you're coming from tmc! :)

However, no criteria was mentioned for qualifying as a Top 20 rider .. so I chanced my arm with someone who I feel should get more credit for what he achieved! ;)

Steve Lawson would definitely feature in the Top 20 National League riders of the 1970s and 1980s. In fact, I would place him third behind Joe & Tom Owen.

All the best

Rob