British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Shawn Moran Interview

Backtrack will be off visiting and interviewing SHAWN MORAN next week. He will be our main front cover man for Issue 43.

Does anyone have any favourite memories of 'Shooey', good stories or anecdotes about this popular racer they would like to share here on the forum?

What are your favourite races involving him?

Maybe a question or two you'd like us to put to the former American ace?

Let's hear from you...

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Edited by tmc

Backtrack will be off visiting and interviewing SHAWN MORAN next week. He will be our main front cover man for Issue 43.

Does anyone have any favourite memories of 'Shooey', good stories or anecdotes about this popular racer they would like to share here on the forum?

What are your favourite races involving him?

Maybe a question or two you'd like us to put to the former American ace?

Let's hear from you...

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Thanks Tony,

Could you please ask Shawn

(1) If Sheffield had not closed down does he think that he would have seen out his career at Sheffield?

(2) Which present day riders excite him?

(3) Does he feel that he could have stood a better chance of winning a World Title if the Grand Prix Series had been around in his era?

Great news Tony, long overdue having Shooey as cover man. Love to know who was his hardest opponent he rode against, plus what happened to his leathers for the 1990 world team cup final (remember him using some dodgy reserves leathers!!!! ;) ). Oh and tell the miracle worker were looking forward to seeing him at Belle Vue this season!!!!!! :)

Great news, Shawn Moran was always my favourite non Glasgow Tiger when I was a lad. I will never forget the cold 1985 October night when he turned up at the less than palatial Craghead Park to pay tribute to the Tigers' Jim Beaton in his Testinonial and proceeded to put on a show like that place had never seen before or since, seeing him blasting around there was a sight to behold :shock: He was the ultimate showman and just oozed class on and off the track. Shooey was arguably at the height of his powers that year, so the fact that he came up to pay tribute to Jim was a measure of the man :approve: That night also made up for the disappointment that I felt when I missed seeing him at Ivan Maugers Farewell To Scotland at Powderhall a few weeks earlier. The powers that be wouldnt let him ride in the meeting proper, the allowed him a few token demo laps on a wet track before the meeting, but I missed them thanks to a traffic jam on the way to Edinburgh for the meeting :rolleyes:

Edited by mervjankefanclub

(1) If Sheffield had not closed down does he think that he would have seen out his career at Sheffield?

He did didn't he? He did few weeks in Division 2 for them, before admitting he had lost his nerve and retiring.

I've got loads!

* Who came up with David East?

* Did he have a bug eyed fish that he and Kelly named "Kelvin"? Think that's what I heard!

* How did he cope with the broken leg when winning the World Long Track?

* Why has he stayed away from the sport for so long?

* Does he think he should have done better in World Finals?

* How did the single "Motorbiking" come about?

* Why on earth was he allowed to ride in the 1990 World Final after the FIM knew he had tested positive for a banned drug in a previous round? What does he think would have happened had he won that run off with Per Jonsson?

* What was his favourite tracks?

* Most feared opponents?

* What are his memories of England v USA test matches?

Thanks Tony,

Could you please ask Shawn

He did.

He did.

Yeah and you are a bit later with that statement.

looking back,would he have done things any differently ie/ would he have taken more of a danish approach than a californian one?

Yeah and you are a bit later with that statement.

Not really. Someone else questioned it. I confirmed it.