British Speedway Forum

Olympic football at the Millennium Stadium between 25th July and 10th August

18th or 25th August then.

THE British Grand Prix requires a stadium with so much more than just a speedway track. For example, over 500 people availed themselves of hospitality on Saturday, many of the corporate boxes were taken. I am sure that given how much BSI want to remain at the Millennium, and how much the Millennium want the event (now rated second only to Wales rugby internationals) a date will be agreed especially if the Olympic committee can be persuaded that the stadium doesn't have to lay dormant throughout June.

Of course Phil, fully agreed.. speedway is an annual thing there, and along with your thinking, I'm sure that they appreciate that the relationship with the British GP is worth much more than just a lucrative 'one off' deal to host football with probably the last ever Olympics to be held.. in.. erm.. England!

To peev the speedway people off would be an error, agreed.

And not only is it a big sporting event, I'm sure that the Cardiff people appreciate how LITTLE the speedway needs policing.

We're a well behaved bunch in general, and it won't go un-noticed (hopefully) by the powers-that-be.

:)

saturday 23/06/2012 1 night in the dingy cardiff central travelodge coming up at a staggering £153. which is up to £75 more than the other saturdays in june, unless there is another major event on that date in the city that then i think its safe to assume that will be the date and venue?

And yet all the fools will once again book their rooms at that price, whilst moaning about it, whereas if no-one booked they'd soon put their prices back down again. No-one going to Cardiff for anything else that night would pay those prices, so they'd have to... :rolleyes:

Of course Phil, fully agreed.. speedway is an annual thing there, and along with your thinking, I'm sure that they appreciate that the relationship with the British GP is worth much more than just a lucrative 'one off' deal to host football with probably the last ever Olympics to be held.. in.. erm.. England!

To peev the speedway people off would be an error, agreed.

And not only is it a big sporting event, I'm sure that the Cardiff people appreciate how LITTLE the speedway needs policing.

We're a well behaved bunch in general, and it won't go un-noticed (hopefully) by the powers-that-be.

:)

THERE is no doubt that the City Council are well aware of the huge benefits brought by having the British GP there and, as you so rightly say, at very little financial cost with no huge policing bills. It is hard to think of any other stadium (and not just the roof, important though that is) and city in Britain that can match Cardiff which is now, rightly, the home of speedway's premier event.It is no so much more than just a speedway meeting, the whole package stands alongside any other major sporting event in the UK and most of that is made possible by the facilities available at the Millennium, not least the two magnificent new video screens.

saturday 23/06/2012 1 night in the dingy cardiff central travelodge coming up at a staggering £153. which is up to £75 more than the other saturdays in june, unless there is another major event on that date in the city that then i think its safe to assume that will be the date and venue?

At £153 you could pay for a limo to take you to and from Cardiff from as far away as the midlands! And you can get 8-12 people in your limo, so you could probably get to Scotland for less if theres 12 of you :o

I sir, have passed my NVQ and BTEC Level 2 in Passenger transportation / Chauffering. I'd happily pick you up en route next year, in the West Midlands, take you to Cardiff, (I'll be attending), meet you after the event and take you home for a signficantly less amount than £153!! :wink: :wink:

speedway-forum.co.uk... the gift that keeps on touting!! :party:

for the record folks i would never pay that much to spend one night in a travelodge . But always check there site for clues on the gp date. DukesGreg if you want to ferry half a dozen boozy black country blokes down to cardiff next year inbox me.. we can bung a couple in the boot, they wont mind. :-)

for the record folks i would never pay that much to spend one night in a travelodge . But always check there site for clues on the gp date. DukesGreg if you want to ferry half a dozen boozy black country blokes down to cardiff next year inbox me.. we can bung a couple in the boot, they wont mind. :-)

12 of you?? No, you're alright, I'll give it a miss then thanks fella. :wink:

Though I know Halesowen very well, if any of you are stuck. ;)

12 of you?? No, you're alright, I'll give it a miss then thanks fella. :wink:

Ahem... Half a dozen is only 6.

cant be bothered lol to go back and check who posted the 23rd june but kudos to him/her anyway as i also checked hotel prices and premier inns rates are a bit higher for that weekend . cwmbran where we stayed is actually slightly dearer than we paid for this weekend.

date wont be announced until IMG have booked all their rooms.

you heard it here second lol

Ahem... Half a dozen is only 6.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aye. Good call. :oops::rofl:

Edited by DukesGreg

I saw -

Rosco

Middlo

Colin Pratt

Peter Oakes

Pete Simmons

The Russell Brothers

and that's without starting to think about it.

Patchett, English, Pairman, Anderson, Harkess, Chapman,Louis and that's without starting to think about it.

Think Robert72 needs to have a word with his sources.

I saw -

Rosco

Middlo

Colin Pratt

Peter Oakes

Pete Simmons

The Russell Brothers

and that's without starting to think about it.

Also - our hotel has not yet been given a date but I really do hope it stays in the City. Yes it is about the GP but the PR that can be done using Cardiff is worth a million in the bank for potential sponsors.

Take any possible future sponsor to Cardiff and they will take in the atmosphere and will hopefully be willing to write a bigger cheque than if at a flat event where the fans don't participate in the 'day' as much!

Cardiff is the showcase even. It would be wrong for it to go.

Plus Buster, George English, Pete Adams, Trevor Swales, Richard Frost and Judy, Tony Letheridge(Exeter), Hoggy, Morton, Gordon, Matt Davis and SCB.

So who says that all the important people are giving it a miss. :lol:

Patchett, English, Pairman, Anderson, Harkess, Chapman,Louis and that's without starting to think about it.

Think Robert72 needs to have a word with his sources.

Well i only saw pratt myself, never saw anyone else all day and nor did the source who went walkabouts in the pits.

Well i only saw pratt myself, never saw anyone else all day and nor did the source who went walkabouts in the pits.

I didn't see a Walkabout in the pits. Good thing Holder didn't either.