British Speedway Forum

Just seen this from a Polish website.

Sounds like negotiations must be well under way, especially as they already mention a specific date for it.

Gonna be a bit more expensive than our usual trips to Europe so better get saving & quick!!!!!

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2011/09/10/grand-prix-wraca-na-antypody/&usg=ALkJrhicOPWiBY79zzDwDmVbTXPYMPT2rw

Edited by Bradford Ace

Any ideas on where track would be?

Western Springs is the first one that comes to mind, Very decent set up and good size track (428mtrs) and not to far from city centre. Altho not sure could accomodate the size of a GP. (not that im expecting crowd size like in EU) Other option would be in a stadium like Eden Park or Mt Smart. Defo making my way back out there if this is confirmed.

Any ideas on where track would be?

Western Springs is the first one that comes to mind, Very decent set up and good size track (428mtrs) and not to far from city centre. Altho not sure could accomodate the size of a GP. (not that im expecting crowd size like in EU) Other option would be in a stadium like Eden Park or Mt Smart. Defo making my way back out there if this is confirmed.

Grand Prix 2012 Auckland

speedwaylive.hu 10/09/2011. 14:191315657195.jpg

Next year's Grand Prix added a new location.Western Springs Auckland

The season starts in the Grand Prix is on March 31 will begin on New Zealand and this means that the 2012 season, is home to twelve of the best battle scene. BSI entered into a three-year contracts in New Zealand.

Edited by kiwi

Grand Prix 2012 Auckland

speedwaylive.hu 10/09/2011. 14:191315657195.jpg

Next year's Grand Prix added a new location.Western Springs Auckland

The season starts in the Grand Prix is on March 31 will begin on New Zealand and this means that the 2012 season, is home to twelve of the best battle scene. BSI entered into a three-year contracts in New Zealand.

A LITTLE premature but hopefully will become a reality when all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed but they aren't there yet

A LITTLE premature but hopefully will become a reality when all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed but they aren't there yet

Perhaps this is a knee-jerk reaction, but...

I imagine this would have huge implications for the start of the UK and Polish seasons (last year the Extraliga started on the first Sunday in April). Is it safe to assume the season in both leagues might not get going until the second week of April as a result of this GP?

I would imagine for a GP on a weekend in NZ, you might as well write a GP rider out of fixtures from at least the Tuesday/Wednesday before (in this case, the last week of March). The riders would also need a couple of days to get back and rested. I imagine Monday fixtures (at least) would also be out following the GP (the first few days of April). You might as well write off a whole week of EL fixtures for those riders.

GP's on the other side of the world are much more complicated to deal with in comparison to European events, especially in terms of getting equipment to and from the GP. I seem to recal the Australian event being unpopular for that reason. How long will it take the riders to get their equipment back from the GPs?

I personally have no problems with the UK season starting in April, rather than mid-March as it seems to at present, but a GP fixture on this date would also rule out racing in the first week of April for Monday night clubs too!

A week (or preferably two) earlier would be a much better option in my opinion. Obviously there is then the issue of a large gap between GP dates, but would this really be a huge problem?

I wonder if BSI/IMG have consulted with the UK and Polish authorities on this. I would like to think they have, but wonder if this is the case. Perhaps Mr Rising, with his contacts at BSI/IMG might be able to fill us in?

Edited by G the Bee

G, why would they? does the British leagues consult any other league when deciding fixtures?

Its great to see such expansion plans, no reason now why we cant have an Australian GP a week before or a week after.

That must cut costs of staging them both.

Cant see the need for any consultation with 'leagues' its up to individuals if they compete in the GPs, and who wouldnt want to compete for the possibility to be World Champion?

G, why would they? does the British leagues consult any other league when deciding fixtures?

I really don't see how that is relevant. We are not talking about communication between leagues and their fixtures but between BSI/IMG and the leagues in the UK and Poland. The season dates in all three major European leagues are well known. The UK season starts in mid-March and has done for decades!

This isn't just a normal, extra GP. It is one which could tie up a GP rider for as good as a whole week.

I think it is relevant to point out that the GP product is reliant on league racing to supply and develop their riders. How many GP riders have not progressed through the league system in one of the three major leagues? I suspect also that for many GP riders, their league fixtures subsidises their GP ones. Is it therefore reasonable to assume BSI/IMG would at least consult the leagues who, ultimately, supply and develop one of their key resources for their product (the riders)?

For all I know, this dialogue could have happened. I am just asking the question. I welcome the extra GP and the broadening of the series and am a huge fan of the GPs. I just question the timing that's all.

For what it's worth the UK does consult (or at least take into account) other leagues when deciding fixtures. How many Elite League fixtures take place on Tuesdays and Sundays?

Edited by G the Bee

Its great to see such expansion plans, no reason now why we cant have an Australian GP a week before or a week after.

That must cut costs of staging them both.

Cant see the need for any consultation with 'leagues' its up to individuals if they compete in the GPs, and who wouldnt want to compete for the possibility to be World Champion?

An interesting point Keith but I wonder whether your opinion would be the same if you supported an EL team.

A hypothetical situation. Imagine the GPs are 20 odd years ago. You are now told you can't have Erik Gundersen until early April at the earliest because he is needed in NZ from the last week of March. Because Erik is World Champion he has also been asked to go over the week before to undertake promotional activities so won't be available for your press and practise day or pre-season challenge matches either.

Of course, your argument 'who wouldn't want to compete for the possibility to be World Champion?' is correct, and riders signing up for the GP will have to go to NZ if it appears on the calendar, but I wonder how many of them will be happy about it.

Edited by G the Bee

An interesting point Keith but I wonder whether your opinion would be the same if you supported an EL team.

A hypothetical situation. Imagine the GPs are 20 odd years ago. You are now told you can't have Erik Gundersen until early April at the earliest because he is needed in NZ from the last week of March. Because Erik is World Champion he has also been asked to go over the week before to undertake promotional activities so won't be available for your press and practise day or pre-season challenge matches either.

Of course, your argument 'who wouldn't want to compete for the possibility to be World Champion?' is correct, and riders signing up for the GP will have to go to NZ if it appears on the calendar, but I wonder how many of them will be happy about it.

HOW many GP riders will be involved with British tracks? Not many, at most, so doubt whether it will be a major problem in the UK. Polish authorities have already agreed to a later start IF the GP event goes ahead. Swedish league won't have started anyway.

Why shouldn't riders he happy with a Grand Prix in NZ as long as it doesn't really affect their European commitments (which it won't) and the travel and freight arrangements are what they might expect, which they are.

At this stage BSI/IMG would prefer to concentrate all their efforts on one southern hemisphere GP. Hopefully, once that is established expansion into Australia will follow.

HOW many GP riders will be involved with British tracks? Not many, at most, so doubt whether it will be a major problem in the UK. Polish authorities have already agreed to a later start IF the GP event goes ahead. Swedish league won't have started anyway.

Why shouldn't riders he happy with a Grand Prix in NZ as long as it doesn't really affect their European commitments (which it won't) and the travel and freight arrangements are what they might expect, which they are.

At this stage BSI/IMG would prefer to concentrate all their efforts on one southern hemisphere GP. Hopefully, once that is established expansion into Australia will follow.

Thanks for your reply. So dialogue has clearly happened with Poland. Has it with the UK?

It clearly will affect the European commitments of GP riders if they ride in GB!

Emil, Holder, Ward (assuming he's in), Bjarne P, Nicki P, Lindgren (will he qualify or get a wildcard or neither), Bjerre, Harris (if he gets a wildcard - not beyond the realms of possibility). All of these are GP riders for next season over here at the moment. Could we see Lindback or Jonsson returning? Especially if fixtures are reduced. Will Nicki or Emil be back?

The fact is, we don't know how many gp riders will be over here. It could be 'not many' but it could be more than that. Who could have forseen Emil or Nikki riding over here a year ago?

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not sure I would want to go flying half-way around the world just as the season starts. Then again, riders are more used to jumping on and off planes than I am!

Like I said, I welcome the extra GP, especially in a country outside Europe, I just question the timing. An early to mid-march date would make more sense to me, as it would cause less disruption to the European fixtures but obviously I don't know the wider picture.

Thanks for your reply. So dialogue has clearly happened with Poland. Has it with the UK?

It clearly will affect the European commitments of GP riders if they ride in GB!

Emil, Holder, Ward (assuming he's in), Bjarne P, Nicki P, Lindgren (will he qualify or get a wildcard or neither), Bjerre, Harris (if he gets a wildcard - not beyond the realms of possibility). All of these are GP riders for next season over here at the moment. Could we see Lindback or Jonsson returning? Especially if fixtures are reduced. Will Nicki or Emil be back?

The fact is, we don't know how many gp riders will be over here. It could be 'not many' but it could be more than that. Who could have forseen Emil or Nikki riding over here a year ago?

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not sure I would want to go flying half-way around the world just as the season starts. Then again, riders are more used to jumping on and off planes than I am!

Like I said, I welcome the extra GP, especially in a country outside Europe, I just question the timing. An early to mid-march date would make more sense to me, as it would cause less disruption to the European fixtures but obviously I don't know the wider picture.

FIRST available date at Western Springs is March 31 ... riders need only be away for a week and given that date would be known well in advance cannot be beyond the wit of man to work out fixtures

FIRST available date at Western Springs is March 31 ... riders need only be away for a week and given that date would be known well in advance cannot be beyond the wit of man to work out fixtures

Again, Philip, thanks for your reply - an earlier date is not possible due to availability of the track. Fair enough.

Of course it will be possible to work out fixtures - lets not forget how quickly fixtures were arranged when Cov and Peterborough came back into the fold. But, on the other hand, and for the sake of debate which, ultimately, is what this forum is about. Could it be argued that this event (if it happens) is a further example of how the BSI/IMG run events are further impacting on domestic speedway which, it could be argued, is the very lifeblood of their own product.

I seem to recall Speedway Star being against the GP's way back when they were first mooted. Was this because of the disruption posed to the domestic calendar?

First it was 6 GPs. This impacted on the Saturday tracks, but they worked around it. Then the amount of GP's went up and the SWC was introduced (which took away a week of the domestic season in the height of summer). Saturday EL racing was now not a viable option for many tracks. Now we see a GP taking away GP riders for a further week (not 1 or 2 nights like the European events do) right as the season is due to get underway.

Where is the line drawn? What if next year or the year after an Aussie date is introduced after the NZ event.

Again, Philip, thanks for your reply - an earlier date is not possible due to availability of the track. Fair enough.

Of course it will be possible to work out fixtures - lets not forget how quickly fixtures were arranged when Cov and Peterborough came back into the fold. But, on the other hand, and for the sake of debate which, ultimately, is what this forum is about. Could it be argued that this event (if it happens) is a further example of how the BSI/IMG run events are further impacting on domestic speedway which, it could be argued, is the very lifeblood of their own product.

I seem to recall Speedway Star being against the GP's way back when they were first mooted. Was this because of the disruption posed to the domestic calendar?

First it was 6 GPs. This impacted on the Saturday tracks, but they worked around it. Then the amount of GP's went up and the SWC was introduced (which took away a week of the domestic season in the height of summer). Saturday EL racing was now not a viable option for many tracks. Now we see a GP taking away GP riders for a further week (not 1 or 2 nights like the European events do) right as the season is due to get underway.

Where is the line drawn? What if next year or the year after an Aussie date is introduced after the NZ event.

I would imagine that they would try to go to Australia earlier than NZ. Apart from anything else, they have to be mindful of the fact that riders earn their money through league racing (notably in Poland).

Yes, Speedway Star was against the GPs a lifetime ago but just about everything has changed since 1994. But that was nothing to do with domestic calendar and, of course, Polish domestic speedway wasn't the force then that it is now.

Of course, this might be yet another reason why a squad system could be beneficial to Elite League clubs here.