British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
montie

Scunthorpe Saints 2012,

Last seasons NL winners Scunny are one of the best clubs for encouraging young inexperienced riders but the side they used for most of the season was made up of quite a few PL regulars albeit messrs the Worrall twins and Birks who are still fairly new to the game!

But PL regulars wernt when they started the season,but they developed into them,and think that is the important point,i remember a certain plymouth fan stating he wouldnt turn up to watch an awfull weak scunny team,3 months later the team he wouldnt turn to to see beat Plymouth!!!

Messrs Worrals and Birks were PL regulars at the start of the season but like I said in my post the riders who do make it progress quickly and these 3 talented riders have certainly done that and look like they could indeed make it!

I'm convinced we'd have more British professional riders if we had a system like Denmark and Poland or hardly any planning restrictions like Australia but also know that good quality riders will come through whatever the system. Like I said in my last post a rider whos been riding speedway for 4-5 years since mid teens and hasn't made PL by the age of 20 is very very unlikely to make it in the future!

Edited by 25yearfan

Messrs Worrals and Birks were PL regulars at the start of the season.....

While Steve had a few meetings for Scunthorpe towards the end of 2010, both Birks and Richie saw the year out in the Saints team - Richie getting most of his gigs as a replacement for Steve.

It's a stretch to describe Steve as a PL REGULAR at the beginning of the season, but as Richie and Birks had no PL experience whatsoever at the start of the season, perhaps I don't have a grasp of the meaning of REGULAR.

What I mean is they had regular PL spots!

I'm not begrudging them anything cause all 3 of them, the Worrals and Birks have deserved their PL spots through showing talent on track combined with the desire to make it!

This then goes back to what I was saying earlier - you've got guys riding at NL level who've been around longer than 3 combined yet are nowhere near a PL spot which means in all probability they'll not make it at that level!

What I mean is they had regular PL spots!

I'm not begrudging them anything cause all 3 of them, the Worrals and Birks have deserved their PL spots through showing talent on track combined with the desire to make it!

This then goes back to what I was saying earlier - you've got guys riding at NL level who've been around longer than 3 combined yet are nowhere near a PL spot which means in all probability they'll not make it at that level!

I think you are being a bit unfair there. Nobody denies that the aforementioned riders are good riders but they ae not the only ones in the NL of that standard, there is a long list actually, They were all given PL places last season Richie without even competing in the NL for a season. They were never dropped and were given a fair amount of support morally if not financially. I would say they are the for-runners of what can happen when a brit is supported and given the opportunities. There are some riders who have been around in the NL for too long because they haven't been given the opportunity of anything else.

It does very much sound like teams are turning a corner with Stoke, Mildenahall Poss Scunthorpe and I assume others who are looking to breed homegrown riders. It wont happen overnight but if the riders keep coming through then the future is looking bright.

Edited by TMW

It does very much sound like teams are turning a corner with Stoke, Mildenahall Poss Scunthorpe and I assume others who are looking to breed homegrown riders. It wont happen overnight but if the riders keep coming through then the future is looking bright.

Whos Poss??

Whos Poss??

Possibly Scunthorpe. As if you didnt know.

Well I have missed Scunthorpe's aim whether it is to provide riders to sell i.e revenue or whether it is to filter them into the Scorpions. Mildenahll and Stoke have said thet they are going to filter them through to senior teams. I imagine Stoke are going to enter the PL again at some point and Mildenhall have Ipswich.

Thats my understanding anaywyay. I'm sure you will tell me if I am wrong.

Edited by TMW

Possibly Scunthorpe. As if you didnt know.

Well I have missed Scunthorpe's aim whether it is to provide riders to sell i.e revenue or whether it is to filter them into the Scorpions. Mildenahll and Stoke have said thet they are going to filter them through to senior teams. I imagine Stoke are going to enter the PL again at some point and Mildenhall have Ipswich.

Thats my understanding anaywyay. I'm sure you will tell me if I am wrong.

So you are saying,in your post that Scunny have possibly turned the corner and are now starting to breed home grown riders????

Would one be so kind as to tell me what Scunny have been doing for the past 4 or 5 years???

• Like 1

However much a promoter wants to filter riders to his senior league, It is the rider themselves who decide where they want to ride. Don't you think Scunny would have loved to have kept Tai, Josh etc.( I know I would ) I imagine its Promoters who tempt them away from their club by offering better deals. The point is that Scunny give these lads their first opportunity to get onto the ladder and thats something which no one can deny. Other NL league teams are quick to sign our riders so as far as I see it.....Its job done! and Mr Godfrey gets his just rewards in loan fees. I say keep this going Mr Godfrey its a system which has proved to be successful .At least we have a flow of youngsters on the climb up!

• Like 1

So you are saying,in your post that Scunny have possibly turned the corner and are now starting to breed home grown riders????

Yep thought so. Maybe I didn't word it quite how I meant it. I was just pointing out the different approaches and how more teams are now focusing their approach. maybe I should have lost the 'possibly'

However much a promoter wants to filter riders to his senior league, It is the rider themselves who decide where they want to ride. Don't you think Scunny would have loved to have kept Tai, Josh etc.( I know I would ) I imagine its Promoters who tempt them away from their club by offering better deals. The point is that Scunny give these lads their first opportunity to get onto the ladder and thats something which no one can deny. Other NL league teams are quick to sign our riders so as far as I see it.....Its job done! and Mr Godfrey gets his just rewards in loan fees. I say keep this going Mr Godfrey its a system which has proved to be successful .At least we have a flow of youngsters on the climb up!

The only thing with them going off and being owned (transfered) or loaned by other teams is they can get lost in the system. Now I wouldn't like to spark a massive debate on this it is just my perception.

Yep thought so. Maybe I didn't word it quite how I meant it. I was just pointing out the different approaches and how more teams are now focusing their approach.

Whats the Colts up to TMW,its all very quiet on there team this year?? Are they running???

Whats the Colts up to TMW,its all very quiet on there team this year?? Are they running???

I know that is why I have had to hijack all the other threads :)

Not running in 2012.

Will be interesting to see Scunthorpes last 2 riders, I am very pleased we have gone with some good new talent but I am slightly worried that we will get absolutely hammered, we have 23 pts to play with for the last 2 riders, I hope rob's finances allow us to get a good number 1 to nurture & assist these young lads.

Dont get me wrong I suspect we lose money on the NL & it is run to bring on talent, I am very pleased we even have a team running this year

Who would I like as no.1? no idea!