British Speedway Forum

If a rider wants more rides, they need to ride well. It's ridiculous that riders wouldn't want to challenge themselves against the best riders in their league on one of the fairest tracks in the league. Frankly it shows a bit of a lack of ambition. Speedway isn't cheap, but showing that you have the ability to beat the best riders around you under pressure is worth a lot more than £100.

And if their team mates don't ride so well? They've travelled some distance for some of the riders, for 2 rides. Even with the amount riders get for fuel it probably wont even cover costs to go to the meeting. And it's all very well saying they need to ride well... they don't go out to do crap. If they've travelled they'll be going to win, but only one rider in each race can win. At the higher levels, PL and EL, they'll probably get paid enough even scoring low to cover their costs. NL? Not so much. Not saying the meeting should be scrapped, but can understand as waco said, why riders may not want to ride in it. Just my opinion.

But your last comment takes us back to the problem in the NL... What's the point if chances are, you wont be offered a spot in the PL? Particularly for some riders in the NL who aren't eligible to guest at PL - how will they ever get signed again to further their career if the club cant give them a trial run? Seperate issue, but related to the lack of ambition comment.

• Like 2

Well, the converse of that argument is that another couple of rides at NL pay rates is hardly going to pave the streets with gold, so it's their choice to ride or not and show the sort of attitude necessary to succeed.

If they're prepared to pull out of the meeting for the sake of £20 or £30, maybe spending a week less in the bar after a meeting being "speedway riders" for girlies' benefits might be a plan.

They either want to get on in the sport or slope off into the nether regions of the sport and join the "used to ride a bit" brigade.

Ridassa and myself are involved with riders in this league we therefore have a knowledge of the considerable financial problems they face just to keep riding....To say loseing a £100 is not important is nonsense....

Edited by waco

how do you lose £100 ( don t take this as me having a go i m just don t see how ) if say a rider gets 2 pts thats his fuel and oil covered he will then get half his fuel costs as most vans cost 20p not 10p a mile to run so if fuel home and back is £100 he ll get £50 so only lose £50. i would like to say no riders shouldn t lose money but come the winter most nl riders will be paying to ride. Wait for me to get slaughtered now

Well, the converse of that argument is that another couple of rides at NL pay rates is hardly going to pave the streets with gold, so it's their choice to ride or not and show the sort of attitude necessary to succeed.

If they're prepared to pull out of the meeting for the sake of £20 or £30, maybe spending a week less in the bar after a meeting being "speedway riders" for girlies' benefits might be a plan.

They either want to get on in the sport or slope off into the nether regions of the sport and join the "used to ride a bit" brigade.

I was unaware all speedway riders spent time in the bar flirting with girlies drinking... I'm sure some do, but it's best not to stereotype in anything, including sports. I could make a football joke here, but best not at the moment. ;)

It isn't all black and white. And as I said, showing the right attitude and working hard won't necessarily get you anywhere in British speedway at the moment. I'm not saying riders will refuse to ride, or indeed should. I'm just pointing out there are other factors; if you live nearby you probably look forward to another chance on a bike. Whilst Stoke is reasonably central, if you're travelling for example from Scotland or Cornwall (no, I don't know all the riders geographical locations or care), it's still expensive. And Neil, there are other costs to take into account. What about the general sundries, more rides on the engine taking it to its next service, etc. That's without pointing out some rider's are probably struggling to afford to race full time in meetings with 4 races with all the costs of the sport. There's probably more costs but to be honest I'm doing too many other things that require brainpower to try and think it through.

I'm just putting another side across. Not sure why..

• Like 1

Just a tyre for the meeting is £42 ..plus regular clutch plates,,fuel in the bike at £8 a gallon...oil every meeting,, and not everyone lives in the midlands ..Ten pounds a point does not go far .....especially if you only get two rides ,,and there lies the problem halfway across the country for two rides!!.

Edited by waco

oh well 771neil if the only costs are fuel and oil for bike, and diesel for van, then speedway riders must be making a fortune, and its there fault the clubs have to charge so much for entry

why need a tyre doesn t make a difference at this standard really also stoke will be slick so better of having couple of good worn tyres, reg clutch plates were talking about 2 rides so unless you got problem with clutch sure 2 rides won t hurt and whats living in midlands got to do with it i agreed with your £100 fuel cost just said you d get half back unless your using a range rover. I agree £1a point doesn t go far but like i say in winter most pay to ride plus these meetings are bit like indiviual so your rider is there to showcase himself

builderbob didn t you know they are making a fortune ( NOT ) unless your a dudley or mildenhall rider ( NOT ) I m not that green just don t understand we moan not enough done but then don t want to ride when something is put on

why need a tyre doesn t make a difference at this standard really also stoke will be slick so better of having couple of good worn tyres, reg clutch plates were talking about 2 rides so unless you got problem with clutch sure 2 rides won t hurt and whats living in midlands got to do with it i agreed with your £100 fuel cost just said you d get half back unless your using a range rover. I agree £1a point doesn t go far but like i say in winter most pay to ride plus these meetings are bit like indiviual so your rider is there to showcase himself

builderbob didn t you know they are making a fortune ( NOT ) unless your a dudley or mildenhall rider ( NOT ) I m not that green just don t understand we moan not enough done but then don t want to ride when something is put on

A £1 a point would go nowhere for sure,..£15 a point would help ,on what should be a well attended meeting .. And most capable riders do not ride in the winter

I see there's now a new date.

STOKE have confirmed the corbettsports.com National League Fours will now take place the day after the British Speedway Grand Prix at Cardiff.

The meeting which has been postponed twice will now take place at Loomer Road on Sunday 26 August with a 3pm start time.

Easy Rider Potters promoter Dave Tattum said "We looked through the fixture list to see what was the best date when most of the riders are available as we want the best from all teams to be racing and this date stood out by a mile with only Leicester running on this particular day. It also made sense as we normally run the day after the British Grand Prix anyway and it all just fell into place. It means all the teams will be able to name their best line up possible and it should prove to be a spectacular afternoons racing for the supporters."

c/o

http://www.stokepotters.co/news.php?extend.359

Seems a sensible date, especially as the only other meeting that day is at Leicester and that's an individual. Means that every team can track their strongest line up, and could draw a few neutral fans in, as it will be 24 heats of speedway, with some recognized PL names for a reasonable price!

I ll shut up then as don t know what i talking about

Ps sorry all your riders are losing money

In terms of running a van I am certain it costs more that 20p per mile, that would cover the fuel costs but not the cost of purchasing, maintaining and insuring a van. I think most commercial users of vans work on 40p to 50p per mile in terms of total running costs. So the 10p per mile contribution goes no where near the full cost involved. Its the same thing with their bikes as well its all well and good to mention the one off costs of the meeting (tyres, oil, fuel etc.) but also bear on mind two or five races from the lifespan of a bike and engine?? I have no idea about the numbers involved but clearly many NL riders are losing money on each meeting that they undertake and its only the enjoyment that racing brings that makes that loss worthwhile. And if that enjoyment is just two races I can understand why some riders would find it hard to justify the costs involved.

Subject to the finances of the meeting (which should generate a decent crowd I would hope) perhaps a minimum payment to each rider would help reduce any riders not wishing to turn up.

• Like 1

I see there's now a new date.

STOKE have confirmed the corbettsports.com National League Fours will now take place the day after the British Speedway Grand Prix at Cardiff.

The meeting which has been postponed twice will now take place at Loomer Road on Sunday 26 August with a 3pm start time.

Easy Rider Potters promoter Dave Tattum said "We looked through the fixture list to see what was the best date when most of the riders are available as we want the best from all teams to be racing and this date stood out by a mile with only Leicester running on this particular day. It also made sense as we normally run the day after the British Grand Prix anyway and it all just fell into place. It means all the teams will be able to name their best line up possible and it should prove to be a spectacular afternoons racing for the supporters."

c/o

http://www.stokepott....php?extend.359

4pm start time has been confirmed for this meeting.