British Speedway Forum
Eagles4459

Should Tai Woffinden Be In The Gp Next Year?

Harris has mainly broke down with coventry when in a scoring position this season which is why it has been even more frustrating for him

Fair enough, but I was referring to the Grand Prix series. Nobody is doubting Harris is a top rider in the Elite League, but on the World Stage he has had far too many chances in my opinion.

JT.

As I say JT I really do not care, if the powers that be feel they need a Brit in the series then so be it. As for us knocking our own, thats the good old British attitude of fair play whilst the rest of the world laugh at us. If Woffinden is in next season (and I think he will be) he will make a far better job of it than last time. As for the others, Barker, Roynon, Auty, Cook ... they are not fit to clean his bike YET :approve:

As for us knocking our own, thats the good old British attitude of fair play whilst the rest of the world laugh at us.

There is a difference between 'knocking our own' and accepting reality.

I don't think most people are 'knocking' the Brit lads. I know I am not as I wanna see one of them WIN today!

But we all know that won't happen.

Whether because of mental attitude, preperation or the standard of equipment the Brits are way behind.

I think Greg hancock made a good point about how most of the top foreign riders had to travel to places like the UK to gain the experience they neede to excel.

The Yanks and Aussies especially and now the Russians had to travel great distances and learn to depend on themselves whereas many UK riders probably don't have that ethic.

Of course riders like PC, Lee, Havvy, Mark Loram and even old Taters managed to reach the pinnacle of the sport (OK Taters was longtrack) so it's not all cut and dried.

We have some gifted speedway riders but lack many of the attributes that people like Crump, Gollob, Hancock have.

We simply do not deserve to be considered above many better Scandanavian and even Eastern European riders.

As long as the likes of Harris KNOW he will always get a pick then why should he go that extra mile to try and qualify?

Speedway wise the rest of the world laugh at us because we have a poor top league system, seem to have little or no interest in nurturing what talent we have,dilapedated stadia and dilapadated ideas from those in charge.

They probably laugh at the pitiful tactical double rule as well. But then who doesn't!

• Like 1

I am afraid I feel any Brit shouldn't be in it none of them are good enough and to put a Brit in to simply make up the numbers is embarrassment.

Look at Harris this year he has rode like a prat in the whole GP series.

Speedway wise the rest of the world laugh at us because we have a poor top league system, seem to have little or no interest in nurturing what talent we have,dilapedated stadia and dilapadated ideas from those in charge.

They probably laugh at the pitiful tactical double rule as well. But then who doesn't!

But there is the difference between you and me, I dont give a monkeys what Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Australia etc think about British Speedway ... let them get on with there own leagues which I watch quite often and cannot see what the fuss is all about. Races with riders miles apart in Poland is quite the norm, keep it.

This is the UK .... I am quite happy with what we serve up, yes it could be better but then most things in life can be. I am happy enough to watch 4 riders racing each other on a variety of different shape tracks. The double, double rule, I quite like it myself ... something different.

Do we NEED a World Champion ???? .... I doubt it, it would be nice but not a need.

Woffinden may yet be the one for us, if he does get the nod good luck to him.

Does Nikki Pedersen stiil live in Stevenage UK. Then he could ride for GB next season, worked for the Olympic team :rofl:

Or even Jason Crump another half aussie.

Unless they can be motivated to qualify, why should they be included on a dodgy wildcard, unless they had missed qualification through injury so could not take that route. Would the GP Season be any less attractive to the fans, or sponsors and advertisers come to that. :neutral:

But there is the difference between you and me, I dont give a monkeys what Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Australia etc think about British Speedway ...

But I don't give a monkeys either as I have said on here somewhere that we should not pander to SGP or Polish/Swedish league, not worry about the so called top riders racing here and should race both leagues on weekends if we choose and give OUR riders the 6/7 spots rather than useless foreign riders and do all we can to provide a decent living for OUR riders and base the league system around riders who want to race in the British set up (UK or foreign) and let those who want to race in Poland or Sweden do just that.

But the fact still remains our riders don't deserve any consideration in the SGP and the sport here DOES need a world champion and a competetive SWC team. It's foolish to argue otherwise but then that won't stop people doing it :)

We dont NEED a World Champion or a good SWC team, want yes NEED no :neutral:

Edited by DougieD

and the sport here DOES need a world champion and a competetive SWC team. It's foolish to argue otherwise but then that won't stop people doing it :)

Okay educate me, why do we NEED a World Champion & good SWC team. Many many fans in this country do not give a fig about the World Championship or the SWC, they are league racing fans & would often support their number one in a GP over a British rider, and indeed most do as seen by the banners.

So why would other be foolish to disagree ? .. because they don't agree with you ? ... take it from me neither you or me are right about everything, only my wife is that good :wink:

Unfortunately, the "many, many" fans you talk about are relatively few compared to what they used to be and the numbers following the sport on a weekly basis in the UK is dwindling. A World Champion and a better showing on the international front certainly couldn't harm the sport could it?

When we last had a world champion, I cannot remember any acknowledgement of this on any tv sports programme, and very little in the press. If it happens, no matter how small the sport is get it mentioned everywhere. Certain radio stations are now putting out speedway and doing a very good job, the authorities need to do all they can to publicise any success we have. I wonder how many sports reps of the national press, radio and tv have been given tickets to Cardiff. If not Cardiff try the EL riders Championship at Swindon.

When we last had a world champion, I cannot remember any acknowledgement of this on any tv sports programme, and very little in the press. If it happens, no matter how small the sport is get it mentioned everywhere. Certain radio stations are now putting out speedway and doing a very good job, the authorities need to do all they can to publicise any success we have. I wonder how many sports reps of the national press, radio and tv have been given tickets to Cardiff. If not Cardiff try the EL riders Championship at Swindon.

No mention of the GP amongst the many pages of sport in the Daily Wail yesterday. We know the Adver and Radio Wiltshire does a good job locally. I can only see falling crowds at British GPs in the future unless we have a decent Brit to cheer on. A new Havvy, Loramski, Lee, Collins, Craven, Williams, Price is needed to rekindle interest in World speedway events. Some fans dont give a toss about league racing, and vice-versa.

Scott rode very well last night, considering he was carrying an injury. He deserves the chance, but Tai who has the abillity has to PROVE, he's worth the chance.

Tai wants it but isn't ready. It will mess with his head and Harris might not be good enough but it's not through the lack of trying. He has put 100% into speedway not jet ski's or moto bikes.

• Like 1

Best wait a few years until Robert Lambert is ready as I dont see any of GB's current riders being on the pace for the GP.

Nonsence I agree but until the UK establishes a full junior racing programme we might as well settle for finding the occasional gem (ala'Robert)

Even league racing is in decline with UK riders disappearing from our teams.

My team Rye House have half the team made up of non UK riders now.

Edited by Glenn