British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TMW

Leicester V Sheffield 30th March

Well it's like my Mrs said it's early yet but at least we won and if we keep on winning some of the fans still would not be happy. She says she is happy just to have speedway back at Leicester and not at all so why are some fans never happy would they be happy just sitting on there back sides watch X factor or some thing els I know what I'd rather be doing.

• Like 1

Don't think this will be much of a contest to be honest.

Carn't see Sheffield getting any where close.

Whooops.

• Like 2

Well it's like my Mrs said it's early yet but at least we won and if we keep on winning some of the fans still would not be happy. She says she is happy just to have speedway back at Leicester and not at all so why are some fans never happy would they be happy just sitting on there back sides watch X factor or some thing els I know what I'd rather be doing.

and that's what speedway is about? being more enjoyable than a night in watching x factor?

For no apparent reason as far i can see, for the second year running, the track hasn't had any of the obvious changes that are required to turn it into even a crap track. it's still an absolute shocker of the first order. 3 years in and benefit of the doubt used up, It ain't like any speedway i've witnessed in the last 35 years. If people are happy with that then i'm trully amazed.

Mick.

Edited by volty
  • Like 1

and that's what speedway is about? being more enjoyable than a night in watching x factor?

For no apparent reason as far i can see, for the second year running, the track hasn't had any of the obvious changes that are required to turn it into even a crap track. it's still an absolute shocker of the first order. 3 years in and benefit of the doubt used up, It ain't like any speedway i've witnessed in the last 35 years. If people are happy with that then i'm trully amazed.

Mick.

I feel for you and others who have season tickets after watching that tonight, as expected nothing has changed,I think i would rather watch saturday night tv than see that out of the start stuff each week with no chance of see overtaking unless a rider makes a mistake.

a 3rd year with a Poor track will have an effect on the future of the club, All because DH wouldnt listen to experts on what was the best way to change the track, he even quickly got it done while glyn was out of the way, this is leicesters track man and manager who also is someone with experience

• Like 1

Whooops.

Fair coment. Sheffield were better than I thought they would be. I'm not so sure it would have been so close had Roynon been riding.

But, he wasn't, and Sheffield did make a fist of it.

I've not yet fully made my mind up about the track.

It was very very slick, I think it could do with more dirt on it. I stand on the 4th turn and there is definatly more of a outside line developing and that will perhaps improve things in the coming weeks.

I don't know if the cold weather had any bearing on things but the racing at Scunthorpe the day before wasn't to its useual standard either. I suppose time will tell.

• Like 2

Fair coment. Sheffield were better than I thought they would be. I'm not so sure it would have been so close had Roynon been riding.

It was very very slick, I think it could do with more dirt on it. I stand on the 4th turn and there is definatly more of a outside line developing and that will perhaps improve things in the coming weeks.

I don't know if the cold weather had any bearing on things but the racing at Scunthorpe the day before wasn't to its useual standard either. I suppose time will tell.

I think you are right on all points here. I thought the track was a little better than before and may improve further, especially if further shale is added and the surface is prepared for the benefit of the spectators rather than the riders.

Sheffield did a lot better than I, and I suspect most others, thought. I think that we all knew Stead would be a top PL performer, but based upon last night Wells might get up to the sort of average that should be expected of him. The eye opener, though, was Hall in a very impressive performance indeed. What's more, Albin deserved more points and Koppe definitely showed promise.

Its very early days, but it could just be that Sheffield might not be the chopping blocks that some (including me) predicted.

I think you are right on all points here. I thought the track was a little better than before and may improve further, especially if further shale is added and the surface is prepared for the benefit of the spectators rather than the riders.

Halifaxtiger, did you just copy and paste that from one of your posts this time last year!

Rather telling that in his programme notes, the track curator mentioned the track changes in a very matter of fact way, pointing out how they may or may not give us a new track record, though It's hardfor him to tell. This, just after telling us in detail about the removal of the toilet blocks and the tidying up of the centre green. Read into that what you will, i'd say.

• Like 1

Mick.

So you didn't watch the New Zealand GP then? There was a track as wide as you like, tons of space with long sweeping bends and as much passing, or less, than we had at BP last night.

I wouldn't say I'm satisfied with the track as it was last night as I'd also like to see passing in every race, but where does that happen? I think that it will get better as the riders get used to it. It's one thing having practice laps but it must be different when you're actually racing with three others. I think Nemo was trying to use the new exit to turn 4 when he tried to pass Hall but Hall moved over and they almost came together. From where I was stood, the riders didn't seem to be using the new entry to turn 1, choosing instead to stick with the old line, but Doolan, Graversen and Nemo looked to be having a go into 3.

I still don't think it's all about the shape and I think the track for the GP proved that. Wolverhampton is very similar to BP but that seems to provide good racing from what I've seen on the TV. Last nights meeting wasn't top drawer but I still think it's early days. Maybe a bit more dirt on the surface, (more water when it's needed?), and some confidence and determination, and we'll see some more passing? Whatever the recipe is for good close racing, I think we're still in the kitchen but not too far from the table.

• Like 1

did a lot better than I, and I suspect most others, thought. I think that we all knew Stead would be a top PL performer, but based upon last night Wells might get up to the sort of average that should be expected of him. The eye opener, though, was Hall in a very impressive performance indeed. What's more, Albin deserved more points and Koppe definitely showed promise.

I think Stead and Wells looked good. I also though Albin looked like he would be decent. I don't see the promise you see in Koppe though. We were missing the rider i expected to be our best rider this year and 3 of his four rides were taken by our reserves which i think left the scores closer. Hall scored well but got a lot of luck in only really beating Graversen, Nielsen and Blackbird until he beat Nieminen in the last. You can only beat what you are up against though. I was surprised he made the last heat ahead of Wells.

For Leicester, Bjerre looked good, Blackbird looked much more competitive if not much less erratic, Nielsen looked steady but very slow once out of the gate and Graversen i guess was having a few engine issues going by him not taking his extra ride and struggling to make it out for his last ride. Nieminen and Doolan were about their mark.

Halifaxtiger, did you just copy and paste that from one of your posts this time last year!

Quite possibly, although its rare for me to be such an optimist :D

• Like 1

So you didn't watch the New Zealand GP then? There was a track as wide as you like, tons of space with long sweeping bends and as much passing, or less, than we had at BP last night.

True Nobblytriers. I did watch the NZ GP and it was indeed rubbish. That was a preparation thing rather than a shape issue though. With the correct banking, the right amount of shale and the correct preparation that track could do the business though. BP never will because it's up against the law of Physics and the law of Physics win every time.

At the speed riders can carry down the home straight, the 1/2 bend is then at an impossible angle to make overtaking possible once you've scrubbed off the speed needed to take the bend the quickest way. Once slowed up to take the corner speedway bikes just don't accelerate again quickly enough in order to get the speed back up to overtake whoever is in front of you. It is a law of physics thing. It's not rocket science. There isn't an untold mystery to how and why speedway works. It involves the law of physics and you'd need to defy it to overtake a decent rider who is not making a mistake on the the 1/2 bend. For just this reason, the new entry might have well not have been changed for all the use it is.

Mick.

Edited by volty

True Nobblytriers. I did watch the NZ GP and it was indeed rubbish. That was a preparation thing rather than a shape issue though. With the correct banking, the right amount of shale and the correct preparation that track could do the business though. BP never will because it's up against the law of Physics and the law of Physics win every time.

At the speed riders can carry down the home straight, the 1/2 bend is then at an impossible angle to make overtaking possible once you've scrubbed off the speed needed to take the bend the quickest way. Once slowed up to take the corner speedway bikes just don't accelerate again quickly enough in order to get the speed back up to overtake whoever is in front of you. It is a law of physics thing. It's not rocket science. There isn't an untold mystery to how and why speedway works. It involves the law of physics and you'd need to defy it to overtake a decent rider who is not making a mistake on the the 1/2 bend. For just this reason, the new entry might have well not have been changed for all the use it is.

Mick.

There were 1 or 2 good races, whether or not the track changes have done enough remain to be seen, as mentioned it was incredibly slick.

Very happy with Sheffield's performance, our top 3 did everything asked of them, Facu looked better than his points suggest and I suspected beforehand that this track might not be one he takes to immediately. Damo did ok, battling performance, got out of shape again once or twice but I'm confident he'll come good. Joe's looking a little slow but if it's something he can sort out in the workshop then it's better to get it out of the way now than further into the season. Jake wasn't always on the pace but it's early days and we knew he was going to need time. Great to get a point from our first meeting, onwards and upwards hopefully.

Edited by tigerblues

I think that the track seemed absolutely saturated possibly due to the recent weather. Early days - lets see how it settles.

The Leicester riders appeared to show a lack of competitive practice around the new shaped track although they seemed to adapt as the meeting progressed.