British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Belle Vue Aces Vs Poole Pirates 29/4/2013

Exactly, so why is everyone assuming they have? They still have to pay the rent on the dump of a stadium if the meeting is called off.

The present greyhound/stock car stadium may not/is not the most prestigious of venues - you describe it as 'a dump of a stadium' - but where else would you have liked the Aces to have been based after the loss of the famous Hyde Road venue?

Here's how the Belle Vue stock car promotion Startrax describe the venue:

Monday 6th May BELLE VUE STADIUM – Manchester

1600cc Bangers – Micro Bangers – Hot Rods – CARAVAN DEMOLITION SPECTACULAR!

BELLE VUE GREYHOUND STADIUM, MANCHESTER – Monday 6th May at 1.30.pm – CAR WARS & CARAVAN DEMOLITION DERBYAll admission is pay at the turnstiles from Noon – Belle Vue has luxury glass fronted viewing in a 2000 seater Grandstand with Fish and Chip shop, bars and fast food catering!

Admissions: Adults £14-Concessions £11-Children 5 – 15 £6-Under 5′s Free-Family Ticket 2+3 £38

Edited by Guest

The present greyhound/stock car stadium may not/is not the most prestigious of venues - you describe it as 'a dump of a stadium' - but where else would you have liked the Aces to have been based after the loss of the famous Hyde Road venue?

BELLE VUE GREYHOUND STADIUM, MANCHESTER – Monday 6th May at 1.30.pm – CAR WARS & CARAVAN DEMOLITION DERBYAll admission is pay at the turnstiles from Noon – Belle Vue has luxury glass fronted viewing in a 2000 seater Grandstand with Fish and Chip shop, bars and fast food catering!

Admissions: Adults £14-Concessions £11-Children 5 – 15 £6-Under 5′s Free-Family Ticket 2+3 £38

The the 25 years since Hyde Road's demise, the Kirky Lane venue has fallen into ruin and, yes, the stockcar people do Big-Up the venue... but just look at the vehicles they parade in as being their sport - vehicles whose next surrounding will be a crusher at some nearby scrapyard - which isn't that far removed from current Belle Vue surroundings!

Kirky Lane is a rubbish hole, someone can call it something else but it doesn't change the fact it's a rubbish hole. A rubbish hole with a glass fronted stand admittedly but does glass = luxury in the UK in 2013?

Kirky Lane is a rubbish hole, someone can call it something else but it doesn't change the fact it's a rubbish hole. A rubbish hole with a glass fronted stand admittedly but does glass = luxury in the UK in 2013?

If it is full - most probably. :wink:

• Like 2

I suppose I am one of the keyboard warriors hyderd is talking about. But as I went up to BV on a fine Manchester evening, to walk across the the road to the stadium to find it in total lock down, even the local rats could not get in, and only an A4 piece of paper saying "speedway off" would I think Pee you off.

Then to find out later that two riders had missed their flights and one was out injured, does make it a little suspicious. What Pirate Baz said is completely true ,(post 209) as we were there together with our wives. As he stated 525 miles worth of fuel plus hotel and meals, does grate a bit IF the reason for calling it off was not genuine. At least I suppose we saved on the admission.

• Like 1

But why didn't he show a photo of the part of the track that was causing the problem ie coming of 2nd bend on back straight.

https://twitter.com/...9467520/photo/1

Chris Holder didn't take the photo that he posted on twitter. I don't believe he ever made it to the track. The photo was forwarded to him by someone else on twitter and he retweeted it I believe. I'm also led to believe that the photo is actually a few years old?

However, this isn't why the SCB are holding an investigation. It seems there are other riders/officials who DID see the track and felt it was fine to race on. This is why the SCB despatched a local referee to the stadium to investigate. Now, surely, if the burst water pipe had caused enough damage for the meeting to be postponed, that would still have been evident at 5pm when the local referee arrived. Following that visit the SCB has deemed it approprate to investigate further with a view to a disciplinary hearing.. IF the track was flooded as is claimed, surely the referee would have confirmed it and the matter would have been closed?

• Like 1

Chris Holder didn't take the photo that he posted on twitter. I don't believe he ever made it to the track. The photo was forwarded to him by someone else on twitter and he retweeted it I believe. I'm also led to believe that the photo is actually a few years old?

However, this isn't why the SCB are holding an investigation. It seems there are other riders/officials who DID see the track and felt it was fine to race on. This is why the SCB despatched a local referee to the stadium to investigate. Now, surely, if the burst water pipe had caused enough damage for the meeting to be postponed, that would still have been evident at 5pm when the local referee arrived. Following that visit the SCB has deemed it approprate to investigate further with a view to a disciplinary hearing.. IF the track was flooded as is claimed, surely the referee would have confirmed it and the matter would have been closed?

Rohan Tungate was there early afternoon!!!

When the photo was taken I don't know. What I do know is it was deffo a photo from this year as the new sponsors are in the back ground

Tungate was there early as he was staying with Howarth who only lives down the rode from the track

Edited by Phil The Ace

Interesting Phil, I'm just going off posts on the Belle Vue facebook forum where they say its an old photo due to a building in the background not being there anymore? Perhaps they are just clutching at straws in their blind defence.

Skidder, I wasn't having a go at Poole, simply saying that the SCB didn't take their action based on Holders tweets.. as I said, some other riders/officials WERE there, and clearly if Tungate was I am sure he can provide evidence.

I would say that the SCB sent the referee as a direct consequence of rider/official complaints/tweets but the inquiry is as a result of the Referees report. The fact that they are holding an inquiry after the refs' visit would suggest that something was amiss.

• Like 1

should belle vue get fined or punished for calling a meeting off in strange circumstances?????? I don't think they should, other wise you will have to fine every other promoter that has cancelled a meeting because they thought this or that might happen, it was due to rain so they used that excuse when we all know riders were missing

• Like 1

Has anyone had a response to those if any have wrote to BV Speedway, I have not heard anything about my free Jason Lyons keyring yet so I am not happy.

• Like 1

The SCB are holding an inquiry and if the meeting should have gone ahead, then we should get a fine and or points deduction. If it was as described, then it was out of their control and no punishment.

It does make me think that the meetings should only be called off by a independent adjudicator in future.

• Like 1

Only the ref should call a meeting off. It was save all this bitcheness.

Also the SCB statement says it all really