British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Irving

Ipswich

All teams have team managers and promoters, but I read each week in the Star that Ipswich have Chris Louis with the pretentious title of Director Of Speedway, can anyone tell me what this job is please?

A title he's given himself to make him sound important. Doubt there'd be a helmet big enough if he was still racing

• Like 2

A title he's given himself to make him sound important. Doubt there'd be a helmet big enough if he was still racing

Absolutely wonderful ....................if a departed friend had said that--- you would been attacked from all quarters by the luvvies!!! Mind you recent comments on here suggest that they agree with his previous comments about a certain Dane now!!!

Edited by seanmuffe

Just seen that we have re-arranged the Plymouth home match & Somerset away match on dates that clash with Birmingham fixtures which rob us of the services of Ben Barker. I know we get a guest, but we will probably have to use a guest from a team that is not challenging for the play-offs, as do you really think someone like Doyle, Cook or Worrall will help us win if it means we finish above them and get the pick of teams in the play-offs, I have my doubts.

Not sure if the promotion planned it this way, but it's an exciting run-in for the last six fixtures.

Three matches against lowly-placed opposition (four if you include yesterday against Glasgow) where the Witches can hopefully rack up the points and build up the confidence, before finishing with three matches against the two leading teams, Edinburgh (Twice) and Somerset.

Should be a cracking finish for all three teams, and that's before the play-offs even start! Let's just hope the weather and injuries don't get in the way.

• Like 3

Just seen that we have re-arranged the Plymouth home match & Somerset away match on dates that clash with Birmingham fixtures which rob us of the services of Ben Barker. I know we get a guest, but we will probably have to use a guest from a team that is not challenging for the play-offs, as do you really think someone like Doyle, Cook or Worrall will help us win if it means we finish above them and get the pick of teams in the play-offs, I have my doubts.

Somerset will be without Doyle ...

Edited by Had Enough

I know I was just using the riders as examples for guests. Obviously Doyle rides for Birmingham with Barker so wouldn't be available but the others would be. I would rather be going into meetings at this stage of the season with our own 1-7 not relying on guests that's all, so our destiny is in our own hands.

Edited by Bash
  • Like 1

Unless speedway riders have radically changed of late, most guests won't give a rat's backside about what team they ride for, or the result. Most will see it as an extra meeting and the opportunity to earn some extra dough. Consequently most will use the booking to score as many points as possible so as to boost their bank balances by as much as possible.

Edited by Brujas Espanolas

Not unless their own team pay them to not score as much. ;)

Sadly we will be without Ben for the rest of the season. He is having an operation on his back today.

Speedy recovery Ben, we will miss you. :cry:

That really could be a massive blow to us finishing with some silverware, unless Doyle wants to race for 2 teams in the premier. Wishing Ben and full recovery

Sadly we will be without Ben for the rest of the season. He is having an operation on his back today.

Speedy recovery Ben, we will miss you. :cry:

A literal pain for Barker, and a shame for Birmingham & Ipswich approaching the business end of the season.

It's problems such as these which devalue the play-offs. Newcastle are in even more difficulty with the loss of Robson.

Well , in my opinion it's about the whole team who have all contributed to the position we are in now for possible silverware .

The absence of Ben for the foreseeable future is obviously a great loss to us and I certainly wish him well for a quick recovery and return to racing !

But this is speedway and using guests is part and parcel of the sport , so without Ben we have to utilise any facility that's available to us .

I did at first think , " thats it , our season is over " but looking at it logically the strategic use of guests such as Jason Doyle or Ritchie Worrall where available and appropriate could still work out ok for us .

Although said by Had Enough that this devalues the playoffs a tad which I tend to agree with , the others in the team have worked so hard this year they deserve the best possible chance of getting those rewards .

So all in all I believe we can still win something and should go full steam ahead to get it whoever happens to be in the side !

Although said by Had Enough that this devalues the playoffs a tad which I tend to agree with , the others in the team have worked so hard this year they deserve the best possible chance of getting those rewards .

In case of any misunderstanding, I didn't mean to belittle the Witches efforts. It's just a shame that speedway is a sport where the loss of a rider can have such a dramatic effect on a team. At least the Witches can chose a guest - my preference would be an EL rider if possible, or a non-play off opponent PL rider (e.g. not Doyle, Gracjzonek, Worrall).

Newcastle (Robson) in the PL and Birmingham (Barker) in the EL are now definitely handicapped by the loss of a key rider - with little or no opportunity to replace them.

This IMHO devalues the play-offs.

• Like 1

The loss of Ben for this season is devastating, both for the lad himself and the club. Hopefully he's a quick healer, get well soon!! Now, life goes on.....we need a really top flight replacement..........is there any way we could fit Scotty in? I'm sure (in fact I know) there are people out there who are going to pooh pooh this.....perhaps its just very wishful thinking on my part........looking forward to any info on this. Otherwise we might have to start looking at our own asset base!!! Tommy, Jarek have you got much on in the next 2 months!! Over n Out!

The loss of Ben for this season is devastating, both for the lad himself and the club. Hopefully he's a quick healer, get well soon!! Now, life goes on.....we need a really top flight replacement..........is there any way we could fit Scotty in? I'm sure (in fact I know) there are people out there who are going to pooh pooh this.....perhaps its just very wishful thinking on my part........looking forward to any info on this. Otherwise we might have to start looking at our own asset base!!! Tommy, Jarek have you got much on in the next 2 months!! Over n Out!

Pretty sure Scott would be way too high - how about Kennett? What's his PL average at the moment?

Edited by Ipswich Jules