British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
June01

Dead Heats

Going back to the 80s and the 13 heat format, was a bonus point awarded in the event of a dead heat?

For example, in Eastbourne v Peterborough's KOC meeting in 1986:

Ht 12..Kennett, Buck and Flatman, Barney 4½-1½ (46½-25½)

Did Buck still get the bonus point as well as the 1½ points for the tied second place?

No bonus point awarded. Similar example from 1981 at Glasgow, Cribb and McKinna tied for 2nd behind Lawson, McKinna didn't receive a bonus. I don't think bonus points are/were paid in any race with a dead heat.

• Like 1

I found an old thread on dead heats that I started in 2007!

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=38527&hl=%20dead%20%20heats

On bonus points it might be my mind playing up but I think the rules changed at one stage at least for a while as I recall Andy Smith scoring 1/2 a point in a meeting when he dead heated for third but he scored one bonus point so more in bonus points than actual points!

Edited by WembleyLion
  • Like 1

I think the rules changed at one stage at least for a while as I recall Andy Smith scoring 1/2 a point in a meeting when he dead heated for third but he scored one bonus point so more in bonus points than actual points!

I've seen about 10 dead heats and they were certainly more common in the 70's and 80's. I've seen Kevin Jolly dead heat twice and I remember one meeting at Birmingham with two dead heats in the same meeting. It would seem it's not fashionable to call a dead heat anymore.

I've had many a head injury over the years, so i might be wrong, but my only dead heat was in the middle of an enormous sequence of unbeaten rides by Per Jonsson in 1994 i would think.

He was up against Peter Karlsson from what i remember.

Pointless anecdote i know. Apologies.