British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

Anglia Junior League 1978

The 1979 yearbook covers the results but not the dates of matches for this competition. I've confirmed dates for 86 of 90 fixtures but require the following matches confirmed if anyone can oblige:

Ipswich v Cradley 29/06, Boston 06/07, Leicester 26/08 & Mildenhall 14/09

There are also some scoring discrepancies that require confirmation:

21/04 Hackney v Mildenhall. Reported in S Star as Hack 6 Mild 9. Mildenhall programme 30/04 reports H 6 M 12. Difference appears to be with Graham Steward, reported in the Star as scoring 6, but in the programme scoring a 9-point maximum. Illegal 3rd ride perhaps? As an added twist Hackney's race points against in the yearbook seem to be leaning towards the 6-12 result BUT the Mildenhall race points for favour the 6-9 scoreline.

02/06 Hackney v Crayford. 3 options here! Star and Yearbook report Hack 3 Cray 13. Crayford programme reports H 3 C 14. A marked programme reports H 4 C 13. Prog reports heat scores as 1-5, 0-5 & 3-3.

02/07 Rye House v K Lynn. Star reports RH 11 KL 5. The excellent stats in KL prog 19/07 report RH 11 KL 6. Difference is Kevin Cox, reported as 1 point in Star but 2 in KL prog. Prog indicates his 2 points came in a heat 1 3-2, a result that kills any chance of him only scoring 1 point. RESOLVED

If you can clear up any of the above please let me know, thanks.

Edited by daveallan81

A shameless bump back up the order for this one. Only 4 dates to confirm, all at Ipswich, plus the three outstanding results queries if anyone can oblige.

Leaving aside the fact I'm possibly talking to myself here, there are a couple more issues that require attention:

Ipswich: Speedway Star published results intimate that Kevin Teager rode in all 17 of the wee Witches matches. The yearbook states that he only rode in 16 meetings. Kevin failed to score in only 3 of these matches - at Cradley on 15th April, at Mildenhall on 25th June and in the return fixture at Ipswich on 14th September. All other Ipswich stats appear correct. His appearance at Mildenhall has now been confirmed. I need to confirm he rode in the other two matches.

Leicester: Speedway Star intimates Andy Lowe rode in 4 matches and Brett Allen in 3 but the yearbook awards Lowe 5 and Allen 2. I have confirmed one of Allen's appearances at Boston on 4th June (thanks to Barrycuda) and now need to ascertain that he rode at home to Mildenhall on 23rd May and at Cradley on the 27th May. Two of Lowe's appearances are now confirmed, outstanding fixtures are at Hackney on 16th June and at home v Ipswich on 11th August.

Edited by daveallan81

Hope springs eternal for any help with...

21/05/78 Speedway Star reports Boston 4 (Steve Kulwicki 3, Martin Burwell 1, Eddie Rouse 0) Ipswich 14 (Andy Hibbs 6, Tim Hunt 5, Kevin Teager 3)

Marked programme has Boston as a 4-man side, Keith Snelling riding at 4. He replaces Rouse in Heat 3. Heat results as follows:

Ht 1: Hibbs, Kulwicki, Teager (f, rem), Rouse (f, exc), 67.4

Ht 2: Hibbs, Hunt, Kulwicki, Burwell (fell), 67.2

Ht 3: Hunt, Teager, Snelling, Burwell (ef), 69.6

11/07/78 Speedway Star reports Crayford 14 (Nigel Sparshott 5, Jack Bibby 5, Paul Hollingsbee 4) Cradley Heath 4 (Paul Mitchell 3, John Homer 1)

Marked programme has Tony Brooks riding at #2 for Cradley and awards him a point in heat 1. Results:

Ht 1: Bibby, Sparshott, Brooks, Mitchell, 62.8

Ht 2: Hollingsbee, Bibby, Homer, Brooks (f, exc), 62.6

Ht 3: Sparshott, Mitchell, Hollingsbee, Homer, 62.2

For anyone following this thread, the Rye House v King's Lynn match was resolved by 3 independant sources. Speedway Star and 1979 Yearbook are both incorrect. Result should now read: Rye House 11 (Kevin Smith 6, Ray Griffiths 4, Mick Fletcher 1) King's Lynn 6 (Peter Wordingham 4, Kevin Cox 2, Perry Ottaway 0). I've also updated a couple of earlier posts.

Were spectators of the inaugural AJL left so traumatised by the experience that they can't bring themselves to dig out the old programmes? Never mind, here's another query...

13/08/78 Speedway Star reports Rye House 8 (Steve Davey 4, Mick Fletcher 2, Ray Griffiths 2) Crayford 10 (Nigel Sparshott 5, Jack Bibby 3, Paul Hollingsbee 2)

Marked programme has Bibby scoring 4 and Hollingsbee 1. Confirmation required of heat 2 result, heat details as follows:

Ht 1: Bibby, Sparshott, Davey, Fletcher, 67.0

Ht 2: Davey, Griffiths, Bibby, Hollingsbee, 65.8

Ht 3: Sparshott, Fletcher, Hollingsbee, Griffiths (fell), 66.2