British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

It was meant to be sarcastic, do people actually believe, you can buy an engine, run it all year, be competitive, and it doesn't cost a penny until next winters service, must have gone to the Briggo school of PR, don't believe anything a Tuner and his top Rider spout off.

Might be nice to try a PJR cam in one, with a set of GM valve springs, then up the compression a bit, possibly put in a fancy German piston, it will happen, you just know it.

Edited by Lord Skid

It was meant to be sarcastic, do people actually believe, you can buy an engine, run it all year, be competitive, and it doesn't cost a penny until next winters service, must have gone to the Briggo school of PR, don't believe anything a Tuner and his top Rider spout off.

There was no mention of it not costing a penny but fair enough, you know they're all liars.

Might be nice to try a PJR cam in one, with a set of GM valve springs, then up the compression a bit, possibly put in a fancy German piston, it will happen, you just know it.

And there lies the (future) problem, someone will want to tune one and thus it costs more money and won't last as long.

The best thing about the GTR engine is it has a simple cartridge type oil filter like most modern motorcycle engines that actually collect all the cack in the engine and this in itself makes the engine last longer as there are no bits going round the engine wearing out parts.

A modern GM basically has a very crude filter that does jack-this goes back to the days when the oil went through once and came out of the bottom and onto the track.

Godden's are also developing an engine using this principle (oil cartridge filter) and they are also changing other items in the engine to make servicing easier/cheaper with their engine.

I think most wear on a speedway engine is done with the amount of revs held at the line rather than actually riding it though and rev limiters would stop a lot of wear as the amount some riders rev their engines to is way beyond the normal capabilities of the engine. There are ignitions available that have limiters built in and I know a lot of the 250's have them that I have seen in the last year.

• Like 2

JUDGING by LIndgren's performance at BV tonight they don't need tuning. He says he has spent about 3,000 euros on five engines (general maintenance) this season and previously sometimes did only three meetings before a 1500 euro full service.

• Like 2

JUDGING by LIndgren's performance at BV tonight they don't need tuning. He says he has spent about 3,000 euros on five engines (general maintenance) this season and previously sometimes did only three meetings before a 1500 euro full service.

So if it's that good already, imagine how good it will be when someone spends some money on it then.

The basic principal with an engine is you can have slow and relatable or fast (powerful) and unreliable. You can't have both, one comes at a cost to the other. At present it's reliability and cheap, but if someone decides to make it more powerful it'll cost more and lose its reliability but they won't care as it'll be winning them races.

The oil system probably helps a little, but the major factor is the dust and crap sucked in through the air filter, which basically turns into grinding paste, added to the Blixt carb, which tends to flood the engine with neat fuel if not set up perfectly,there are too many variables to say how much an engine will cost to run.

Interesting how someone asked why no real information about the running costs of the GTR was available, miraculously a couple of days later Freddie's been heard to say, by the SS that it's cost x amount of euro's, obviously this Forum is the place to get answers right from the horses mouth.

• Like 1

ok so if this is to be the way forward although jawa could produce something for 1/2 the price then rules need to be put in place so as you can only use holomagated parts (piston rod valves and springs )and no machining of those parts allowed , all porting has to be as standard design , standard flywheels set at a certain weight , choice of 2 cams , basically it has to stay a GTR engine , take out the tuners sourcing their own parts and fitting them , the tuning angle of the sport no matter how fascinating it is to some and I'm one is doing nothing for the sport at all ,the majority of fans don't care , speedway isn't a motorbike sport it's a team sport on bikes
  • Like 5

MARCEL Gerhard and his daughter, who runs the business, are hopeless at getting the message about the success of their product out to the public, as I and others have constantly been telling them and did so again in Torun.

Wolves boss Chris van Straaten confirmed to me last night along with Freddie how little he had spent on his engines this year and how well they had been performing without any major servicing or super tuning. On a big, fast track at BV he was unbeatable.

GTR needed a rider who could establish the engine's credentials and provide them with 'feed back' and perform at the highest level which Lindgren has and Chris Harris sadly couldn't on both counts.

There are other junior riders who can contest that they have used the GTR for a whole season now without problems or significant costs. Of course, they won't grab any headlines like Freddie but they are still doing the laps.

The problem for GTR now is whether, in the light of anticipated demand, they can actually produce sufficient engines to meet that demand.

So, to answer SCB's point, yes you can have fast and reliable.

MARCEL Gerhard and his daughter, who runs the business, are hopeless at getting the message about the success of their product out to the public, as I and others have constantly been telling them and did so again in Torun.

Wolves boss Chris van Straaten confirmed to me last night along with Freddie how little he had spent on his engines this year and how well they had been performing without any major servicing or super tuning. On a big, fast track at BV he was unbeatable.

GTR needed a rider who could establish the engine's credentials and provide them with 'feed back' and perform at the highest level which Lindgren has and Chris Harris sadly couldn't on both counts.

There are other junior riders who can contest that they have used the GTR for a whole season now without problems or significant costs. Of course, they won't grab any headlines like Freddie but they are still doing the laps.

The problem for GTR now is whether, in the light of anticipated demand, they can actually produce sufficient engines to meet that demand.

So, to answer SCB's point, yes you can have fast and reliable.

well you could always do a nice feature length article in the SS for them for a start.

could make an interesting read.

• Like 1

ok so if this is to be the way forward although jawa could produce something for 1/2 the price then rules need to be put in place so as you can only use holomagated parts (piston rod valves and springs )and no machining of those parts allowed , all porting has to be as standard design , standard flywheels set at a certain weight , choice of 2 cams , basically it has to stay a GTR engine , take out the tuners sourcing their own parts and fitting them , the tuning angle of the sport no matter how fascinating it is to some and I'm one is doing nothing for the sport at all ,the majority of fans don't care , speedway isn't a motorbike sport it's a team sport on bikes

I agree about the tuners, the trouble is that while JAWA could build a cheaper rival to this, they and GM simply haven't bothered, if this kicks them into action, it's been a success, whether or not it sells or how many units.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that GM were producing a new engine, with similar reliability characteristics and costs as the GTR? So it would make sense for JAWA to follow suit, wouldn't it?

So Freddie's wages are being cut accordingly by CVS, I take it? This enables Wolves to balance the books better, fair play, it works.

If GTR are so bad at marketing, which I doubt, as he is one of the top, but most expensive Tuners on the Long track/Grass track scene throughout the World, and everyone in the Sport knows him, he doesn't need the engine marketing, his problem is that Riders don't believe the claims being made.

Having just spoken to a PL/EL Rider, who has just ordered two Danish tuned GM's for 2017, he was just not willing to take the risk.

Edited by Lord Skid

well you could always do a nice feature length article in the SS for them for a start.

could make an interesting read.

BEING arranged for early winter...

So Freddie's wages are being cut accordingly by CVS, I take it? This enables Wolves to balance the books better, fair play, it works.

THAT'S not for me to know but do know BSPA as a whole are seriously looking at ways to help riders cut costs and presumebly, as a result, their own

• Like 2

PHILIPRISING, on 06 Oct 2016 - 11:28 AM, said:

BEING arranged for early winter...

THAT'S not for me to know but do know BSPA as a whole are seriously looking at ways to help riders cut costs and presumebly, as a result, their own

How about they start with looking at the various rules they have brought in over the years that have made riding more expensive, tyre deflectors and exhausts for starters?..

How about they start with looking at the various rules they have brought in over the years that have made riding more expensive, tyre deflectors and exhausts for starters?..

One rule that needs to be put back firmly in place is the ban on titanium , why they ever repealed it god knows , the extra expense for the tiny advantage it gives is obsene ,

• Like 2