British Speedway Forum

Guest GiveusaB

Newport= £70 for 2 Nights (Ibis) £5 return on the train = 15 mins in to Cardiff !!! JD

I paid £137 for two nights for me and my daughter at Premier Inn Manchester Central. I looked at prices just before the weekend and it was £100 more. Lots of people attending the comic con event probably boosted up prices too. Pretty much everything was within 15 minutes walk apart from the stadium but even then that was only a 6 minute journey on a train or 10-15 minutes on a bus. Cardiff wins hands down obviously but I've always struggled to get a hotel at reasonable price in Cardiff so always stop in Newport.

As we await news of the Principality Stadium speedway gp contract being renewed and therefore next years gp date....I came across this somewhat disturbing news,maybe the two are connected as Monsters sponsorship of series ends this year too...

http://www.methanolpress.com/speedway-grand-prix-strategy-questioned-by-monster-energy-ahead-of-sponsorship-negotiations/

Edited by emerald tyke

As we await news of the Principality Stadium speedway gp contract being renewed and therefore next years gp date....I came across this somewhat disturbing news,maybe the two are connected as Monsters sponsorship of series ends this year too...

But to quote "We go to some places that are really great, like Cardiff"

So Monster like Cardiff.

Niamh

But to quote "We go to some places that are really great, like Cardiff"

So Monster like Cardiff.

Niamh

agree P but.....maybe if Monster are rethinking their role within the series maybe there might not be as much funding going abegging and SGP might need to find cheaper stadia?? I hope the Cardiff contract will be renewed as it nice to travel from Ireland (for me, and elsewhere for other fans) and know that the meeting WILL take place.

It does seem to me that people around Cardiff are totally unaware the Gp is on!!! surely free pairs of tickets could be given to coffee shops, cafes and shops around Cardiff for the employers to give to employees or customers and if only 1% of them take a punt and attend this could glean new supporters....with an added fuller looking stadim on tv.

One cafe was actually running low on milk after the influx of fans this year.....they couldnt understand where all the people were coming from!! for an event to be in its 16th year in Cardiff it says a lot for the promotion of event dont you think? Banners up flag poles are probably full most weeks advertising rugby etc etc the business premises NEED TO BE TOLD...

Edited by emerald tyke

Find it so annoying that the hotels put up their prices so much. We always stay in The Big Sleep, it’s cheap and cheerful and close to everything. We stay on the Friday and the Saturday so we can have 2 nights there. Each year the price has gone up, the cost for us in 2017 (on the date everyone thinks it will be) is £315.00, the weekend before it’s £135.00, this is for 2 nights for 2 people with no breakfast. This is so ridiculous, if any of you have stayed in The Big Sleep will definitely know it is not worth this amount of money. I know they put the GP on earlier so people can travel home if they wish but you can’t relax as much if you have to worry about getting to Cardiff and back to Essex in one day! I’m thinking I might just go to a GP in Poland as it will cost me around the same amount as Cardiff!

• Like 1

Find it so annoying that the hotels put up their prices so much. We always stay in The Big Sleep, it’s cheap and cheerful and close to everything. We stay on the Friday and the Saturday so we can have 2 nights there. Each year the price has gone up, the cost for us in 2017 (on the date everyone thinks it will be) is £315.00, the weekend before it’s £135.00, this is for 2 nights for 2 people with no breakfast. This is so ridiculous, if any of you have stayed in The Big Sleep will definitely know it is not worth this amount of money. I know they put the GP on earlier so people can travel home if they wish but you can’t relax as much if you have to worry about getting to Cardiff and back to Essex in one day! I’m thinking I might just go to a GP in Poland as it will cost me around the same amount as Cardiff!

I know its common business practice but its a rip off.

The prices the hotels want are exhorbitant - even though I'm lucky in that I have a relative at South Wales Uni (free b & b!) I'd rather attend a GP abroad to be honest

I have been to every G.P. at Cardiff except the first one and thoroughly enjoyed my weekend. Due to a change in my circumstances I am considering giving it a miss next year and the longer it takes to announce the date the more I'm leaning to not going. :cry:

If you are not happy dont pay. Easy

So dont go, I would love to go to a Cardiif GP but I refuse to pay the kind of prices your quoting, for half the money I would pay for flights, hotel, tickets etc I get a weekend in Prague for the GP with decent tickets, reasonable hotel and spending money to.

Find it so annoying that the hotels put up their prices so much. We always stay in The Big Sleep, its cheap and cheerful and close to everything. We stay on the Friday and the Saturday so we can have 2 nights there. Each year the price has gone up, the cost for us in 2017 (on the date everyone thinks it will be) is £315.00, the weekend before its £135.00, this is for 2 nights for 2 people with no breakfast. This is so ridiculous, if any of you have stayed in The Big Sleep will definitely know it is not worth this amount of money. I know they put the GP on earlier so people can travel home if they wish but you cant relax as much if you have to worry about getting to Cardiff and back to Essex in one day! Im thinking I might just go to a GP in Poland as it will cost me around the same amount as Cardiff!

Like anything these days you need to shop around (& be lucky with timings) - being loyal or lazy means you'll pay through the nose. I've never missed a Cardiff grand prix & have always stayed in the city centre - the most I've ever paid is £90 a night.

I'm all booked up for this year but just had a quick look and can see a city centre hotel on par with the big sleep for £75 a night with free parking & breakfast. And there are much better hotels asking for much less than what you are being asked for at big sleep.

Like anything these days you need to shop around (& be lucky with timings) - being loyal or lazy means you'll pay through the nose. I've never missed a Cardiff grand prix & have always stayed in the city centre - the most I've ever paid is £90 a night.

I'm all booked up for this year but just had a quick look and can see a city centre hotel on par with the big sleep for £75 a night with free parking & breakfast. And there are much better hotels asking for much less than what you are being asked for at big sleep.

How can you be booked up when the date is not out ?

How can you be booked up when the date is not out ?

Its reasonably safe to say that the 8th of July will be the date of the Cardiff GP, I am sure those who have booked already will have taken the option of free cancellation.