British Speedway Forum

My heart sinks when people suggest fancy dress or themes. I'm not good at them and will actively try to avoid them...I am more of a slide into the background type of person instead of a look at me fancy dress one.

As long as I can still be accepted with the understanding that I probably won't dress up, that is ok, it's enough of a faff trying to get everything organised without worrying about a costume too!

And there was me thinking that I saw you wearing a rather natty balloon headgear arrangement on Thursday Sue. Maybe it was your double?

And of course people are wrong when they think that Fancy Dress is a "Look at Me" thing. In fact it is quite the opposite and it allows someone like me with little self confidence and self worth, to hide behind a "mask" for a while (and some would say a mask is necessary 24/7). I have always enjoyed Fancy Dress, just for that reason - that you can be someone else tonight Matthew, rather than the really quite ordinary and boring person that I am.

EDIT: And I don't know what the others think, but personally I think that the two "Themes" that we have tried - hi-vis and the Buffet, have worked well, but maybe it's just me....? but as we always say, the Massif is totally inclusive and I believe there are no rules or laws or regulations, and everyone can do what they want - as long as they make some Noiz for the Boiz :lol:

Edited by macca56
  • Like 1

Ah it is all about perception, for you it is a way to hide, for me, I think it makes look like there is a great big arrow pointed at me loudly proclaiming "Here I am" and that is something I actively shy away from.

The balloon thing? Not exactly fancy dress or a theme (it was the Thursday before too, buffet week) and it took a lot for me to actually do that after it was plonked on my head, it was well outside my comfort zone but thought why the hell not, let's give it a try and challenge my fears/anxiety. I forgot I was wearing it after a while and my niece loved it when I gave it to her (albeit a little battered by the time she got it).

The themes have worked well, I just thought it might be best to let everyone know that it is unlikely I will be participating when it is a dress up week due to my own silly issues that I have with attention being directed to me in real life and away from a PC screen. I'm not a killjoy, I love seeing everyone else dressed up, I'm just not able to easily or without a lot of anxiety/panic.

• Like 3

Just keep coming sue, whatever you do or don't do, it's surely better than sitting on your own over the other side.

• Like 3

Just keep coming sue, whatever you do or don't do, it's surely better than sitting on your own over the other side.

I know i am going slightly off topic here but i sit on my own regular , personally i blame the deodorant my wife buys me and the fact that nobody likes me but apart from that all is good.

So Sue if you want to sit on your own go for it hasn't mentally scarred me or on the other hand there may be a possibility that it may have.

• Like 1

I know i am going slightly off topic here but i sit on my own regular , personally i blame the deodorant my wife buys me and the fact that nobody likes me but apart from that all is good.

So Sue if you want to sit on your own go for it hasn't mentally scarred me or on the other hand there may be a possibility that it may have.

Baldyman is correct, I was at the point of walking away after a particularly lonely meeting where the only words I said all night was to the woman at the entrance.

I like my alone time, don't get me wrong but speedway has always been a social thing for me and I have always been part of a fairly large group but that has dwindled over the years until finally, halfway through last season, it became just me on my own. I still managed to get through as there were regulars around me but these too have disappeared from the terraces over the last 18 months until we got to that horrible night where there was absolutely no-one to talk to. As I walked out of the stadium that night, I said to myself that that was the last meeting I was going to go to, the joy had gone, the fun had gone, the social side had gone... I was done with speedway. I even thought of wrapping up Updates at the end of the season such were my feelings in regards to the sport.

Edited by crazysue
  • Like 1

Baldyman is correct, I was at the point of walking away after a particularly lonely meeting where the only words I said all night was "One adult with programme please".

I like my alone time, don't get me wrong but speedway has always been a social thing for me and I have always been part of a fairly large group but that has dwindled over the years until finally, halfway through last season, it became just me on my own. I still managed to get through as there were regulars around me but these too have disappeared from the terraces over the last 18 months until we got to that horrible night where there was absolutely no-one to talk to. As I walked out of the stadium that night, I said to myself that that was the last meeting I was going to go to, the joy had gone, the fun had gone, the social side had gone... I was done with speedway. I even thought of wrapping up Updates at the end of the season such were my feelings in regards to the sport.

Glad that you have found that you have people there that obviously care about you and from what i have read they are looking out for you as they obviously know what you have been going through.

My post was tongue in cheek you probably realise this as i had no intention of being dis-respectful to yourself

But there is always positives to be taken and the good people that have taken you into there fold has i suspect rekindled your faith.

• Like 2

Oh don't worry, I didn't see any disrespect, just curiosity. It's all good (as my teenage children like to say) and yes, it has certainly rekindled my interest in the sport.

• Like 2

Oh don't worry, I didn't see any disrespect, just curiosity. It's all good (as my teenage children like to say) and yes, it has certainly rekindled my interest in the sport.

And we are all pleased about that - and the many users of the, always brilliant, Updates site will be relieved that, I am assuming, you will be carrying on with it and not wrapping it up at the end of this season (and many apologies, I went to West Row today to watch a new Massif hero, Connor Coles, and the amazing Mr Danny Ayres and did not notice your calls for a texter and I would and could have done if for you, sorry. Even though I met up with somebody that I have not seen for more than 30 years again have got in contact with again via Facebook and my speedway related posts on there. A case in point of Social Media working in the right way.)

I also got to hear Mr Presenter doing his thing on the mic and, gee, he is very good at it. We must miss so much by not hearing Kevin clearly where we sit at Foxhall.

I like my alone time, don't get me wrong but speedway has always been a social thing for me and I have always been part of a fairly large group but that has dwindled over the years until finally, halfway through last season, it became just me on my own.

I know the feeling Sue. At times this season I've been all on my own at Coventry with just the dog for company and she's always asleep anyway. :lol: Quite sad really how the attendances have dwindled so much.

• Like 2

As far as attendances have been concerned this year apart from a couple when we were quite frankly dire I think they've held up reasonably well. And the last 2 home meetings have seen very healthy crowds indeed.

Whether that's down to the success on track or the kids go free I'm not certain but if we make the playoff semi's I'm sure the numbers will be good again.

Here's hoping for a productive end to the season and a Massif crowd in more ways than one!

• Like 2

What's going on guys? Very quiet on here at the moment, have you all fallen out? It's normally buzzing with silly but fun ideas.

Dont they call them artistic differences in certain circles?! wink.

The lull before the storm!!

A week wait for the 2nd leg of the play off so any possible semi has at least a 2 week gap.

No one wants to tempt fate and go on about plans for a semi until its properly sewn up.

• Like 1