British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TurnTwo

Play Offs

JPB is currently ill with a mystery illness. We have no more info than that.

The use of the word "mystery" makes it sound like nobody knows what it is...safe to say that the medical practitioners know exactly what it is and are doing their best to treat it. Were it less than 100% genuine, then you can be sure that Graham Drury would have had a sense of humour failure over it. The rest isn't so much of a mystery as simply none of our business.

• Like 1

I had given up hope on us making the playoffs but a couple of decent results at Stoke and Buxton could give us a shout especially if the Colts run out of time to stage some of their fixtures.

Still it will only get us the honour of a thumping from the Brummies methinks!

I was unfortunate to be at the first playoff in the elite league when Eastbourne lost it to Wolves having been the best team all season, it was such a disappointment after a great year. I'm glad we're where we are in the playoffs, as has been said it's Birmingham's to lose and the other's to win. Having said that still think last year's system of the team who came top won the league, then the end of season gold cup was probably the fairest and correct way. Only thing is if we do win it, I suppose it makes up for the hurt 14 year's ago!

I was unfortunate to be at the first playoff in the elite league when Eastbourne lost it to Wolves having been the best team all season, it was such a disappointment after a great year. I'm glad we're where we are in the playoffs, as has been said it's Birmingham's to lose and the other's to win. Having said that still think last year's system of the team who came top won the league, then the end of season gold cup was probably the fairest and correct way. Only thing is if we do win it, I suppose it makes up for the hurt 14 year's ago!

[/quote;

From what I heard did we not lose our No 1 to injury (Mark Loram maybe?) in the semis and under the then rules of, no guest in the play offs, have to bring in a 16 year old rookie who happened to be Eddie Kennett.

I'm sure Mark rode, but I do remember Billy Janeiro riding, think Barker or Norris may have been out, to be fair to Janeiro he rode his socks off. Seem to remember Adam Shields having an off night at reserve having been on cracking form before. What also cost us was the team who came top in the first playoff went straight to the final awaiting the winner of the semi's, so by the time we faced Wolves don't think we had riden for 2 or 3 weeks, so came in 'cold' .

Edited by gazzac

I must admit I didn't see that coming - well done Cradley will be tight between Cradley and belle vue now

I had given up hope on us making the playoffs but a couple of decent results at Stoke and Buxton could give us a shout especially if the Colts run out of time to stage some of their fixtures.

Still it will only get us the honour of a thumping from the Brummies methinks!

stay positive :lol:

• Like 1

Sunday 25th Sep

OK, so given that Birmingham, Eastbourne and Kent are nailed on for the play-off's, the remaining question is who, between Belle Vue and Cradley will be the 4th team, and I suspect that the cut-off may play a part in this.

The remaining fixtures are:

Cradley (source - Cradley's web site)

Mon 19 Kent - Home

Fri 23 Belle Vue - Away

Belle Vue (source - Belle Vue's web site)

Fr 16th Coventry - Away

Sun 18th Eastbourne - Away

Fri 23rd Cradley Home

Sun 25th Coventry - Away

I suspect that the Belle Vue web site has an error as Coventry are listed twice. There is nothing in the BSPA fixture list for Belle Vue on 25th September, so I'm going to discount this unless news is forthcoming about another new fixture that's not been announced yet

So, my predictions are that Cradley will beat Kent at home (=3 points) but will lose away at Belle Vue (0 points) I predict that they will finish their season on 45 points. I may of course be wrong.

Belle Vue have according to my reckoning, only have 3 more meetings before the cut-off date. I think they will get 4 points away at Coventry, 3 points from a home win over Cradley, and nothing from their trip to the 50p piece on the south coast. My prediction therefore is that Belle Vue will finish on 25th September on 39 points with 3 fixtures timed-out on.

Let me guess, could it possibly be Birmingham v Cradley, and Kent v Eastbourne in the semi-finals?

I suspect that the Belle Vue web site has an error as Coventry are listed twice. There is nothing in the BSPA fixture list for Belle Vue on 25th September, so I'm going to discount this unless news is forthcoming about another new fixture that's not been announced yet.

Yes, you're right ~ Belle Vue Colts are due at Coventry this coming Friday and riding after the Bees v Kings Lynn match.

Belle Vue .... I think they will get 4 points away at Coventry, ..

So much for that prediction then...but if a team can't win away at Coventry then they don't deserve to be in the play-offs anyway.

So much for that prediction then...but if a team can't win away at Coventry then they don't deserve to be in the play-offs anyway.

Well that must be true since even Buxton can win at Coventry!

:oops: