British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Concerns About Coventry Storm

STORM CONCERNS

Wednesday September 07, 2016

COVENTRY promoter Mick Horton has stressed the clubs National League team needs to receive increased support in order to survive - as they prepare for Friday's double-header at Brandon.

The City Gearboxes Storm have been top-four finishers in the last two years, although results in 2016 have not lived up to pre-season expectations.

Attendances for Elite League matches at Brandon remain healthy but Horton says the National League crowds are currently not high enough to continue at that level.

He underlines that the Storm is about trying to bring on the next generation of riders rather than being a money-maker but it does need to pay its way.

Horton said: This is personal for me, because it does mean a lot to me to run the kids. I want to run at this level, but at the moment the support just isnt there for it.

This isnt about making money, but as it stands at this stage its plain for everyone to see that the club loses money from the National League.

We may not win the National League at all times and certainly this year hasnt been the best, but its so important that we have the support.

We have a double-header on Friday with 30 heats for the price of one Elite League match, which I think is tremendous value, and Id urge people to support it.

Its not a case of begging because we have great support for the senior team, but I do know we have people who believe in the kids, and we just need their friends to come along as well!

The Storm face the Isle of Wight and Kent in a double-header on Friday, which starts at 7pm with admission £17 for adults and all children free.

Prior to that, they visit Swindon in a challenge match on Thursday where they will face a Sprockets team.

Mitchell Davey misses the meeting as he recovers from an accident at work last weekend, in the hope that he will be fit for Friday. Tom Bacon guests for the injured Dan Greenwood, and Henry Atkins gets an opportunity at reserve with Jamie Halder unavailable.

SWINDON SPROCKETS (from): Danny Ayres, Luke Clifton, Ben Hopwood, Darryl Ritchings, Lee Smart, Nathan Stoneman, Danno Verge.

CITY GEARBOXES STORM (from): Henry Atkins, Tom Bacon, Liam Carr, Mitchell Davey R/R, Conor Dwyer, Ryan Terry-Daley, Callum Walker.

I personally attended nearly every meeting in 2014 & 2015. However I have only been to 3 this year as the team that has been put together this year is very poor and lacks any excitement.

It's okay asking fans to go along but realistically the management have to give us something worth paying £12 to watch.

I think a new team manager is needed. Whilst other PL teams are signing up and coming riders or ones that are exciting to watch, we either sign ones who have been around years or are not ready yet and struggle.

Nobody will pay to watch an under strength team who underperform at home.

They need to start from scratch next year if they run. I would keep Knuckey and Dwyer or Hadler at reserve and build around them. Ellis Perks would be a good addition to the team.

£17 for the NL is a lot of money, whether it's 2 meetings or not! I'm sure even Coventry fans won't fancy stopping until gone 11pm or whenever their marathon double header will finish at this time.

• Like 2

Ellis perks will go where the money is I would expect so if the crowd isn't at Coventry you won't catch him there!

Hopefully perks back at cradley next season, still lives in the area with cradley fans I think so make sense for him.

will do a swap for Richard Andrews.... If his form improves lol

Used to go a few years back, but it's such a poor product its not worth going. The side that was put together is totally wrong, and shows nothing to the floating supporter that might be interested in going. No long term planning with the team building.

Edited by Bees_Man

Love to see the complaints about charges for double header and poor team strength.

Had to pay £30 at Edinbrugh last week and they never had a hope in hell of staging 30 heats!

They had a 20 minute break after the first meeting and wondered why they didn't complete the second meeting!

As for under strength teams, try being a Bears supporter!

It's your choice not to support a team just don't be surprised when there isn't a team to support.

• Like 2

Ellis perks won't leave Eastbourne he's in there with the Dugard clan now

I mean I hope he does stay as he has plenty of potential and would be good to head up the team next term or at least make a good building block for it. I'm sorry Adam and Knight but perks would be my rider of the season he's been a corner stone when everyone else has been failing. (And Adam is on el duty)

And if I recall Heathen 1984 is pretty in with the heathens got all the team correct for this season. So I'm not gonna question if you think otherwise

And talking of perks why isn't he in NLRC

Edited by Al3x200

I went to Brandon earlier in the season when it was Storm vs Brummies on a sunday afternoon and I wouldnt put the crowd much past 200. I could count the number of people on the back straight and it just reached double digits plus a few people on the third/fourth bend. So this press release is no surprise to me.

I honestly dont believe its because the Storm team isn't doing well, even if it was do people seriously think the crowds would be good. Coventry have had team in the top league for donkeys years so for most Coventry fans its their bread and butter even for all its failings as a league. A shame because these young kids need your support, just because your team isnt doing well, you shouldnt just turn your back on them, FWIW if I was off work on Friday I would go. I would be a neutral but for me 17 pound for two is an absolute bargain. £8.50 per speedway meeting!!. Okay the IOW away from the Island are a bit naff but Kent are a good side with a v good top 3.

Questions need to be asked about the future of the NL in my opinion. Will Coventry and Kings Lynn run NL sides next year, given i think crowds for Young Stars matches arnt that good either. Heard from some Brummies fans that there wasnt that good a crowd when we was up at Belle Vue, thats despite a decent colts side, are their crowds holding up? So could we face a situation where Coventry, Kings Lynn and Belle Vue dont run NL sides next year. The likes of Mick Horton or Buster Chapman wont continue running NL sides if they are losing so much money. Everyone talks about the EL being in crisis but what about the NL?

• Like 1

.....Brummie Kev......I honestly dont believe its because the Storm team isn't doing well, even if it was do people seriously think the crowds would be good. Coventry have had team in the top league for donkeys years so for most Coventry fans its their bread and butter even for all its failings as a league.

Sadly I think you are correct and I was quite surprised they carried on after last season as attendances were pretty poor then. Rather telling it's the three clubs you mention ~ Kings Lynn, Coventry and Belle Vue ~ that also run E.L. teams and that's probably the reason why fans don't turn up for NL matches. Even Matt Ford had to give up in the end at Poole. I'll continue to give them my support anyway and I'm looking forward to the double header on Friday. Starts at 7pm so I'll let you know Islander15 what time the second match finishes. :) To be fair, barring any crashes, the matches are usually run pretty quickly and the riders are put on two minutes for the next race as soon as the previous race is over ~ often before the announcer has had time to give the result.

Why should perks be in the NLRC?? No reason he shud be in it.

well if I new I wouldn't be asking would I?