British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Perton Wolf

Fixed Race Nights For 2018 Season

Why would any team want to move up when you could argue the Premiership is just a glorified Championship?

Personally think we should just go for one big league and don't let any gp riders ride here

• Like 1

Why would any team want to move up when you could argue the Premiership is just a glorified Championship?

Personally think we should just go for one big league and don't let any gp riders ride here

ONE league is certainly being talked about. Most Premiership sides have around six doubling up riders already.

ONE league is certainly being talked about. Most Premiership sides have around six doubling up riders already.

I think that would be a sensible solution, if you take out Doyle, Lindgren, Bjerre, Andersen, KK unless I've missed any then it's basically championship strength sides anyway.

If the one league and no gp riders was to happen would prices attendance wise come down? Because we seen on BT on Monday that priced at £5 people will go and see I'm not suggesting it should be that low but maybe £10 or something.

Also would the pay structure come down because the "so called" big riders wont be here or will that just create a problem where second strings demand more money because they could potentially be in demand.

I think that would be a sensible solution, if you take out Doyle, Lindgren, Bjerre, Andersen, KK unless I've missed any then it's basically championship strength sides anyway.

If the one league and no gp riders was to happen would prices attendance wise come down? Because we seen on BT on Monday that priced at £5 people will go and see I'm not suggesting it should be that low but maybe £10 or something.

Also would the pay structure come down because the "so called" big riders wont be here or will that just create a problem where second strings demand more money because they could potentially be in demand.

BUT would there be enough riders to go round?

• Like 2

If you were asked to step up and fill your bosses job - would you expect to be paid the same as your boss was paid? If you're also told you can no longer do your evening job, would you want more than what your boss was being paid?

If you were asked to step up and fill your bosses job - would you expect to be paid the same as your boss was paid? If you're also told you can no longer do your evening job, would you want more than what your boss was being paid?

Yeah I can see where you're coming from.

So many things need sorting out this winter but knowing the bspa they'll change some stupid rule which will make no difference.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from.

So many things need sorting out this winter but knowing the bspa they'll change some stupid rule which will make no difference.

It'll be a helmet colour/cover change :mad:

• Like 1

Heard from reliable source it has already been agreed that Mondays and Thursdays will be the 2 race nights in next season's premiership as Poland want Friday Saturday and Sundays Sweden have Tuesdays and Denmark Wednesday.

It'll be a helmet colour/cover change :mad:

Yeah bring back the green helmet colour

BUT would there be enough riders to go round?

That potentially would be a big problem, what would you do then?

It does seem to work very well with James Shanes whose mother certainly seems to get stuck in.

He did say top riders.

Yeah bring back the green helmet colour

That potentially would be a big problem, what would you do then?

I THINK the most practical outcome is two leagues, with four more tracks joining the Premiership, and racing on a Monday and Thursday. Championship tracks operate Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Premiership tracks desperately require more fixtures. I think Poole had only one or two meetings in June and July when they should be packing fans into Wimborne Road at the height of the summer period. Perhaps the season should start later ... end of April?

There are moves in that direction but still a long way to go before any agreement is reached. Ideally one big league, even split regionally, might be the best solution if there were enough riders to go round. A big 'if' though.

Some rumours emanating from Sweden suggest that their top division is struggling financially and some riders currently racing there might be forced to look elsewhere. Whether that would actually be good for the UK is a moot point.

Frankly, there is no easy answer but from what I'm hearing at least a number of promoters recognise that the ship is capsizing if not sinking and urgent action is required now.

Travel costs would go up as more riders, mechanics would have further to travel. Time out as well as the fixture planning which has not been great this year. Riders are based all over the country so being in the right team closest to your base might help.

I THINK the most practical outcome is two leagues, with four more tracks joining the Premiership, and racing on a Monday and Thursday. Championship tracks operate Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Premiership tracks desperately require more fixtures. I think Poole had only one or two meetings in June and July when they should be packing fans into Wimborne Road at the height of the summer period. Perhaps the season should start later ... end of April?

There are moves in that direction but still a long way to go before any agreement is reached. Ideally one big league, even split regionally, might be the best solution if there were enough riders to go round. A big 'if' though.

Some rumours emanating from Sweden suggest that their top division is struggling financially and some riders currently racing there might be forced to look elsewhere. Whether that would actually be good for the UK is a moot point.

Frankly, there is no easy answer but from what I'm hearing at least a number of promoters recognise that the ship is capsizing if not sinking and urgent action is required now.

The league is already in a kind of north south divide. If there were as you say 4 more teams moved up into the Premiership that would dilute the Championship wouldn't it? Less teams and teams would be meeting each other very often.

That would be ironic if some of the top riders returned with there tails between there legs hoping for team spots over here.

One league of 18(?) teams would mean 126 riders. Even assuming both reserves were NL riders that still needs 90 riders who are prepared or can afford to only race in one league?! That would also likely mean some sort of rider control, dictating where riders will ride. Can't see it somehow.

A Premiership of 10-12 clubs with Mondays/Thursdays as the fixed race nights would work. Although fixture planning will once again prove to be a challenge with the footie World Cup taking place next year?!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1