British Speedway Forum
Wolfsbane

Premiership Grand Final 1st Leg Swindon V Wolves 02.10.17

Lets not forget Poole used an asset rather than a guest in last year's play-offs and we all know how that went!! lol

And why the rules were changed. :lol:

And why the rules were changed. :lol:

This is always the problem, teams looking to exploit them.

• Like 1

Try Robins Farm - you can actually see the stadium from there but you need to drive around the block

Cold Harbour good, Robins Farm, Harvester avera

Swindon 54-36 Wolves

1. Jason Doyle 3 3 3 2' 1 - 12+1

2. Adam Ellis 0 1 3 1 - 5

3. Tobiasz Musielak 3 2' 2 2 - 9+1

4. David Bellego 1 3 1' 3 - 8+1

5. Nick Morris 2 3 2 3 3 - 13

6. Bradley Wilson-Dean 2 0 2' 1' 1 - 6+2

7. Liam Carr 1' 0 0 - 1+1

1. Chris Harris 1' 1 2 3 1 - 8+1

2. Kyle Howarth 2 0 0 1 1 - 4

3. Rory Schlein 2 2 0 3 2 0 - 9

4. r/r

5. Sam Masters 3 2 1' 3 0 2 - 11+1

6. Mark Riss 3 0 0 0 0 - 3

7. Nathan Greaves 0 1 0 - 1

Swindon 54-36 Wolves

1. Jason Doyle 3 3 3 2' 1 - 12+1

2. Adam Ellis 0 1 3 1 - 5

3. Tobiasz Musielak 3 2' 2 2 - 9+1

4. David Bellego 1 3 1' 3 - 8+1

5. Nick Morris 2 3 2 3 3 - 13

6. Bradley Wilson-Dean 2 0 2' 1' 1 - 6+2

7. Liam Carr 1' 0 0 - 1+1

1. Chris Harris 1' 1 2 3 1 - 8+1

2. Kyle Howarth 2 0 0 1 1 - 4

3. Rory Schlein 2 2 0 3 2 0 - 9

4. r/r

5. Sam Masters 3 2 1' 3 0 2 - 11+1

6. Mark Riss 3 0 0 0 0 - 3

7. Nathan Greaves 0 1 0 - 1

I think Ellis will get 6...will go 55-35.

Only 90 points max available Steve

sorry RF. Completely forgot about no use of tacticals! Amended to 55-35

It's the Grand Finale man! Yet it is completely now a one-horse race without Lindgren for Wolves. Swindon should win easily.

This year's Play-Off Final has turned into that Christmas present you didn't want.

Wouldn't get this anti-climax scenario pre-Play-Offs.....

Just saying, like....

Play Offs are, and have been big time speedway since they were introduced.

Long may that continue.

It's certainly not Wolves fault they have to race in the final without their top 2.

On paper it looks likely to be the biggest anti climax for that reason only.

On the more important plus side both clubs will see bumper attendances with fans coming out to watch big time speedway live. Amen to that.

Some form of squad system would solve it.

Easier said than done though of course.

No second thoughts at all.

In other seasons your comments may make sense, however not in this one when there was so little between the two sides anyway. Swindon finished pts ahead, but the reality of it is, the difference was 1 race pt. Swindon won 46-45 (I think that was the score) at home to Wolves, a 1pt swing the other way and Wolves are top. To be fair, Swindon had a weakened team that night.

Wolves surprise loss at home to Poole the night Kyle Howarth was injured as another factor and I'm sure Swindon can point to some matches too. Both sides also had varying degrees of luck when coming up against sides who were hit by injuries.

What does it matter whether Swindon topped the league by 1 pt or 10? They still finished first, and now have to go through the formality of beating Wolves.

Canterbury and Newcastle once ended the year level, and it went to race pts to separate them.

Still, with Sheffield topping the Championship table and winning, and Swindon looking nailed on to do likewise at least it shows up the play-offs as the waste of time they are.

...and don't get me started on this promotion/relegation bollox. :mad:

Well what a big non event this is going to be now that Wolves are so weak. Such a shame really as it would have been an exciting two legs if both teams had full sides to choose from.

Just have to hope for some good racing in a few heats and that the shouty twins don't embarrass themselves even more than normal with their shouting and over "bigging up" of the racing and the situation. I think the former one of those two "hopes" is the most likely!

• Like 1

This is Swindon's title to lose without a doubt. On paper the score could be something like:

Swindon 54 - 36 Wolves

Wolves 48 - 42 Swindon

So, it should be a comfortable enough win for Swindon in theory. A shame that it isn't 2 full strength teams, I really think we would have a good chance if that was the case and it would be a close encounter which would go down to the last heat or so.

P.S - Can we have Nick Morris guest for us in the KO Cup semi final & final please? :D

I think with a bit of luck it could still be in the balance for the Wolves leg of the final.

That's got to be the hope. If only to make wednesday an interesting spectacle for a few heats :D

Edited by Wolfsbane

This is obviously completely hypothetical as it hasn't and won't happen, but...

How would Swindon fans have felt if Wolverhampton had been 'special dispensation' to track Tai Woffinden in place of Lindgren in a circumstance such as this?

Normally I would be against such a thing and I have no qualms at all about Wolves using a guest and R/R as those are the rules, but would it have made the Grand Final more of an event if a team could have used one of it's own assets rather than a guest?

I would have no issue with this - although as has been pointed out it is not currently permitted in the rules. Losing one rider would be bad enough but to lose the top 2 certainly doesn't seem like a fair match-up - but that's not Swindon's fault.

• Like 2

That's got to be the hope. If only to make wednesday an interesting spectacle for a few heats :D

Absolutely no chance, it's all over after tonight's first leg. :cry:

• Like 1

Last meeting at The Abbey it was Swindon 52 Wolves 40, Doyle paid max. 11+1, he didn't come out for heat 15, Ellis 8, Muesli 10 +1, Bellego 4, Morra 12+1, Aarnio 5+1, Bowtell 2+1.

Lindgren 10+1, only 1 heat win, Worrall 7+1, Schlein r/r, Thorsell 9+1, only 1 heat win, Masters 8, Riss 4+2, Greaves 2.

Wolves have to hope Schleiny wins some races, and Swindon have a few falls and e.f.s otherwise will be a massacre.

Absolutely no chance, it's all over after tonight's first leg. :cry:

There is always a chance, don't lose all hope before it has started, look at the Poole meeting, they were self destructing until they got it together at the end. If BWD reproduces his Peterborough form and not his Swindon form it could be interesting.