British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenga

electric speedway bike . WHEN?

5 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Not true, how is anyone going to drive any journey more than about 100 - 150 miles until, probably in many many years a battery that can hold that much power might be developed, this is why any top up fuel for long distance and the majority of transport, all day or long distance lorry transport, needs the current fuel until something like hydrogen is nationally available.  This is why most cars are hybrid so you still have to have filling stations. 

There is also a major issue with the production of all the batteries and the disposal of all those that die.

Electricy might be ok for going to work or the shops but is no good for a great number of journeys over 100 - 150 miles  and for convenience of travel, so are people going to have two vehicles.  

Tbf Tesla claim 300 miles in their latest car. And how many people do more than 300 miles in a single journey? In reality we all do 2-20 miles to work or the shops. Anything more than that is irregular, certainly in the U.K.

We’ve gone from 100 miles 7-10 years ago to 300 miles today, at that rate we’ll be getting close to 1000 miles in 10 years time, better than any petrol vehicle can do!

2 hours ago, Stainlesssteelride said:

Electric bikes or changing rules so Scott Nicholls can turn out for the Panthers. I don't know what's more stupid.

You thinking it's o/k to flush  used engine oil down the drain.

9 hours ago, Stainlesssteelride said:

Electric bikes or changing rules so Scott Nicholls can turn out for the Panthers. I don't know what's more stupid.

The stupid bit was allowing 8/9 other riders with higher averages to double down in the Championship 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SCB said:

Tbf Tesla claim 300 miles in their latest car. And how many people do more than 300 miles in a single journey? In reality we all do 2-20 miles to work or the shops. Anything more than that is irregular, certainly in the U.K.

We’ve gone from 100 miles 7-10 years ago to 300 miles today, at that rate we’ll be getting close to 1000 miles in 10 years time, better than any petrol vehicle can do!

A fair number of people drive 300 miles a day so electric power for them is no good but those just going to work or the shops can use battery power, I did mention this.

Is it 300 miles if you drive like a granny, the way that many manufacturers claimed mpg figures in the past or 300 if you drive at 70mph or a lot of town driving with a lot of braking and accelaration, ie a London taxi.  In fact a London taxi use would be a good test for time and length of usage.  The only problem with taxis are that many are not kept in a garage or off the road overnight so recharging is not possible.

Edited by A ORLOV

25 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

The stupid bit was allowing 8/9 other riders with higher averages to double down in the Championship 

But most of them had previously doubled, so where allowed.  It all went Pete Tong last year when a couple extra did it. 

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

A fair number of people drive 300 miles a day so electric power for them is no good but those just going to work or the shops can use battery power, I did mention this.

Is it 300 miles if you drive like a granny, the way that many manufacturers claimed mpg figures in the past or 300 if you drive at 70mph or a lot of town driving with a lot of braking and accelaration, ie a London taxi.  In fact a London taxi use would be a good test for time and length of usage.  The only problem with taxis are that many are not kept in a garage or off the road overnight so recharging is not possible.

Tesla are very good at giving real World figure, so there 300 miles can be trusted. If anything they undersell and over deliver. As for taxis, they spend a lot of time sat around waiting, so they can be charged continually throughout the day. The London Taxi Company recently released an electric version and I've been in a few London Ubers that are electric vehicles.

As a petrol head I was very weary of electric vehicles a few years ago but they're stupidly clever bits of kit that I'm fairly certainly will save people a fortune in a few years time (maintenance is nothing compared to internal combustion engines) and is going to be a pretty good thing.

15 minutes ago, adonis said:

Maintenance is nothing ,until it goes wrong  or batteries start to wear out , within a few years of electric "CLEAN " (that should be on the jokes page ) vehicles ,the scrap yards will be full of cars that are uneconomical to repair , and the companies that the relatives of Govt have set up will be raking it in , disposing of the spent batteries ,  more than likely on the seabed ( Yes I happen to know that has already been suggested ) .and we will still be polluting the atmosphere generating the electricity to recharge them 

Smart people are already gearing up to recycle batteries:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-batteries-recycling-analysis/metal-recyclers-prepare-for-electric-car-revolution-idUKKBN1DH1DS

2 hours ago, Stainlesssteelride said:

But most of them had previously doubled, so where allowed.  It all went Pete Tong last year when a couple extra did it. 

I know that, but that's the stupid bit, many aren't even riding for the same teams.  Riders are only employed for the season, not future ones, so legacy from one year to the next should not apply.  Anyway, what's this got to do with electric speedway :)

What about steam engines as an alternative - plenty of noise then and the fuel can be 'green' as well.

8 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

What about steam engines as an alternative - plenty of noise then and the fuel can be 'green' as well.

Why not just cycle speedway that solves all  the problems and keep them go go goodies happy lol

16 minutes ago, adonis said:

are you a rich petrol head , because once the current panacea for dirty electricn fully  takes hold , petrol engines will be priced out by virtue of the price of their fuel , £50 a gallon is not beyond belief 

Hopefully it won't be that bad before I depart, but just in case, I had better up the thrashings now, on a track only of course:lol:

3 hours ago, soupy said:

Why not just cycle speedway that solves all  the problems and keep them go go goodies happy lol

And you could put an icelolly stick into the spokes to make a noise. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

but you have to keep checking your spokes as the lol . ly sticks undo the nipple (oh eer) and the spokes loosen . !

• Sad 1