Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Belle Vue v Somerset PL 5th September, 2018

Recommended Posts

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:07 PM, Stoke Potter said:

How does Plymouth compare to the last version of Weymouth in your opinion?

How you can compare Belle Vue with Scunthorpe, Somerset and Plymouth is just bizarre in my view.  

Interesting that many people on here are advocating more tracks to be like BV - please point me towards the thread where people are requesting more tracks like Plymouth.

The IoW is based on an old athletics track I believe, which makes it the wrong shape for Speedway.  I've been several times, never seen anything remotely close to what I've seen at BV on various occasions.  The IoW promotion are spoken about in very positive terms these days.  The true measure of them as a promotion is whether they invest in the track and get it remodelled to be a proper track.  Yes a copy of Belle Vue will do fine.  I actually think a BV track could be fitted in there.  Time will tell.

I regard Poole as one of the better shaped tracks in the country - it has been let down in recent years by having an extremely rough surface.  So bad last year that Hans Andersen had an off in the first bend which in my view was down to a rut that actually broke his rear spindle!  I'm surprised he didn't make more of it but perhaps he knew which side his bread was buttered so to speak. 

Matt Ford has gone down in my estimation by not keeping his track up to a decent standard then playing at fixing it last winter by getting, if I recall right, Glyn Taylor on the case.

Weymouth was very tight and very small but I saw some very good racing there. Not as good as Plymouth, but still good.

My point was - and remains - that custom built speedway tracks are better than those that are fitted into an existing stadium. Belle Vue is better than the others, but Scunthorpe and Somerset have established reputations for high quality racing, and Plymouth has always been one of my favourite tracks.

I am sure we all want more tracks like Belle Vue - I certainly do.  But your obsession with having all circuits like that is ridiculously impractical. Just where are Isle of Wight - and every other club in the country - supposed to get the funds to adapt their existing track or build a new one from ? In a sport that is in dire straits financially, that's simply not going to happen. 

Personally, I would say the true measure of a promotion is not simply the quality of the racing that their track puts on but far more about how successful the club is - on, but more importantly, off track.  After all,  if people are paying their entry money on the basis that the speedway is only part of the night out, what does it matter ?

Isle Of Wight's racing isn't as good as the NSS. But, in a straight comparison with the previous promotion, they have now increased average gates 5 fold and sponsorship has increased massively. They have attracted almost unanimous credit and praise from speedway fans from across the country for their attitude, enthusiasm and spirit. Finally, according to Barry Bishop they have broken even for the last two seasons.

Belle Vue, despite their superb race track, don't even come close to a record like that (to be fair, nor does anyone else). 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Weymouth was very tight and very small but I saw some very good racing there. Not as good as Plymouth, but still good.

My point was - and remains - that custom built speedway tracks are better than those that are fitted into an existing stadium. Belle Vue is better than the others, but Scunthorpe and Somerset have established reputations for high quality racing, and Plymouth has always been one of my favourite tracks.

I am sure we all want more tracks like Belle Vue - I certainly do.  But your obsession with having all circuits like that is ridiculously impractical. Just where are Isle of Wight - and every other club in the country - supposed to get the funds to adapt their existing track or build a new one from ? In a sport that is in dire straits financially, that's simply not going to happen. 

Personally, I would say the true measure of a promotion is not simply the quality of the racing that their track puts on but far more about how successful the club is - on, but more importantly, off track.  After all,  if people are paying their entry money on the basis that the speedway is only part of the night out, what does it matter ?

Isle Of Wight's racing isn't as good as the NSS. But, in a straight comparison with the previous promotion, they have now increased average gates 5 fold and sponsorship has increased massively. They have attracted almost unanimous credit and praise from speedway fans from across the country for their attitude, enthusiasm and spirit. Finally, according to Barry Bishop they have broken even for the last two seasons.

Belle Vue, despite their superb race track, don't even come close to a record like that (to be fair, nor does anyone else). 

 

Good luck to them I say but it would be interesting to see them cope with being told that they would have to race on a Monday night instead of Sunday afternoon or Saturday evening. 

Anyway, I've finally caught up with the recording and I have to say that was up there with the best I've seen at any Aces or Colts meeting at Belle Vue. Judging by some of the comments in this thread I wasn't expecting much from the first half of the meeting yet heat one was probably better than any league race I have seen on TV this season and obviously heat 13 was pretty good as well, lol. Shame about the crash but I'm pleased there was no loud cheer audible on the TV, with Chase the Ace's reaction representative of an intelligent speedway fans concern, rather than the sick cheering we hear at some tracks when a visiting rider falls off.

 

Talking of sick cheering when a rider crashes the midnight stalker appears→→→→→→↘

Edited by Fred Flange
Stalker alert
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fred Flange said:

Good luck to them I say but it would be interesting to see them cope with being told that they would have to race on a Monday night instead of Sunday afternoon or Saturday evening. 

Anyway, I've finally caught up with the recording and I have to say that was up there with the best I've seen at any Aces or Colts meeting at Belle Vue. Judging by some of the comments in this thread I wasn't expecting much from the first half of the meeting yet heat one was probably better than any league race I have seen on TV this season and obviously heat 13 was pretty good as well, lol. Shame about the crash but I'm pleased there was no loud cheer audible on the TV, with Chase the Ace's reaction representative of an intelligent speedway fans concern, rather than the sick cheering we hear at some tracks when a visiting rider falls off.

There's no question that Belle Vue's gates have been radically affected by racing on Mondays and I very much hope that changes for 2019.

I'd point out, though, that Isle of Wight race on Tuesdays and Thursdays  - not much different  to Mondays and Wednesdays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 3:01 PM, Sidney the robin said:

Falcace that race and the whole meeting was a treat last week i have watched it again twice since then.That race would be up there for me in  my four  favourite ever races the other three would be Gollob/Nilsen--  Morton/ Carter (Northern riders championship 1983. ) -  1973.Sheffield England v Sweden Collins. E.Boocock Michanek T.Jansson. race that race last week was awesome even my wife said so.

That Morton psss on Carter is superb. Thst 83 /meeting is arguably the best recorded at hyde rd? Most dont do it justice...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

That Morton psss on Carter is superb. Thst 83 /meeting is arguably the best recorded at hyde rd? Most dont do it justice...

Great meeting  can remember Carter who looked quick never convinced on the night.  don't know why  Mort is Mort  dun him. Morton was quick did most  from  the back a very  good rider over a number of years and he was World class not doubt for me anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 9:17 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

Weymouth was very tight and very small but I saw some very good racing there. Not as good as Plymouth, but still good.

My point was - and remains - that custom built speedway tracks are better than those that are fitted into an existing stadium. Belle Vue is better than the others, but Scunthorpe and Somerset have established reputations for high quality racing, and Plymouth has always been one of my favourite tracks.

I am sure we all want more tracks like Belle Vue - I certainly do.  But your obsession with having all circuits like that is ridiculously impractical. Just where are Isle of Wight - and every other club in the country - supposed to get the funds to adapt their existing track or build a new one from ? In a sport that is in dire straits financially, that's simply not going to happen. 

Personally, I would say the true measure of a promotion is not simply the quality of the racing that their track puts on but far more about how successful the club is - on, but more importantly, off track.  After all,  if people are paying their entry money on the basis that the speedway is only part of the night out, what does it matter ?

Isle Of Wight's racing isn't as good as the NSS. But, in a straight comparison with the previous promotion, they have now increased average gates 5 fold and sponsorship has increased massively. They have attracted almost unanimous credit and praise from speedway fans from across the country for their attitude, enthusiasm and spirit. Finally, according to Barry Bishop they have broken even for the last two seasons.

Belle Vue, despite their superb race track, don't even come close to a record like that (to be fair, nor does anyone else). 

 

The last Weymouth track was awful, the fact that you say otherwise tells me a lot.  I've not been to Plymouth but I can predict what it's like - not real Speedway.

Scunthorpe and Somerset had a reputation as good tracks because most of the rest are so bad, both have been surpassed by Belle Vue.  Your insistence that every track produces decent racing is just plain wrong to be frank.

As regards the IoW investing in their track, you have answered your own question:

They are getting 5 times the gate money according to you and have a massive increase in sponsorship revenue.  Invest it in the track.

If the sport doesn't invest in improving the tracks then it will carry on being in dire straits and the long slow death will continue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:17 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

Weymouth was very tight and very small but I saw some very good racing there. Not as good as Plymouth, but still good.

My point was - and remains - that custom built speedway tracks are better than those that are fitted into an existing stadium. Belle Vue is better than the others, but Scunthorpe and Somerset have established reputations for high quality racing, and Plymouth has always been one of my favourite tracks.

I am sure we all want more tracks like Belle Vue - I certainly do.  But your obsession with having all circuits like that is ridiculously impractical. Just where are Isle of Wight - and every other club in the country - supposed to get the funds to adapt their existing track or build a new one from ? In a sport that is in dire straits financially, that's simply not going to happen. 

Personally, I would say the true measure of a promotion is not simply the quality of the racing that their track puts on but far more about how successful the club is - on, but more importantly, off track.  After all,  if people are paying their entry money on the basis that the speedway is only part of the night out, what does it matter ?

Isle Of Wight's racing isn't as good as the NSS. But, in a straight comparison with the previous promotion, they have now increased average gates 5 fold and sponsorship has increased massively. They have attracted almost unanimous credit and praise from speedway fans from across the country for their attitude, enthusiasm and spirit. Finally, according to Barry Bishop they have broken even for the last two seasons.

Belle Vue, despite their superb race track, don't even come close to a record like that (to be fair, nor does anyone else). 

 

Did you watch much racing at Coatbridge ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, sommelier said:

Did you watch much racing at Coatbridge ?

Ah Coatbridge and then Blantyre - old memories.  Even remember the Paisley Lions at Love Street

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

So much for Worrall struggling he's just beaten Doyle.

You jinxed him FB 3, 3, 0, 1 ,0 :blink:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy