British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jackofdiamonds

Newcastle v Redcar Tyne -Tees Trophy 31/3/19 at 6.30pm

20 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Well done Redcar as they rode with a lot of grit and determination... they deserved it...

However... and I accept that it was the first home meeting of the season but I stand in line with the tapes and the starts seemed so disjointed and scrappy which was most unusual as Phil Day is normally a very good Start Marshall (as is Barry Simpson when we borrow him from Redcar) and although this had very little bearing on the final result as it was the same for both sides it did look very messy...

I thought this new "starting" rule was going to improve the starts however I can't say that slicker starts or a slicker starting process was evident this evening...

Regards 

THJ 

It's not designed to make the starts slicker, it's designed to stop the green light - go. it forces refs to to vary the length of time between the green light and tapes up as he has to wait until the start marshall has cleared the the back of the bikes before releasing the tapes. Newcastle, especially T J, struggled with this a bit. Though for most of them it was the first meeting it was used properly. Whereas for Redcar they used it during Barkers Testimonial and, I assume, at Leicester on Saturday. It certainly wasn't used at Redcar on friday where, For whatever reason, the green light wasn't illuminated until the Start Marshall had cleared the back of the bikes ( as per last year). It is, however, something we need to adjust to and quickly. 

I would have thought that it should have been done during Press/practise day so that they could get used to it. (I wasn't there so I don't know whether it was or not but the tapes haven't been used during practise in the past when I have attended). 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, leander said:

It's not designed to make the starts slicker, it's designed to stop the green light - go. it forces refs to to vary the length of time between the green light and tapes up as he has to wait until the start marshall has cleared the the back of the bikes before releasing the tapes. Newcastle, especially T J, struggled with this a bit. Though for most of them it was the first meeting it was used properly. Whereas for Redcar they used it during Barkers Testimonial and, I assume, at Leicester on Saturday. It certainly wasn't used at Redcar on friday where, For whatever reason, the green light wasn't illuminated until the Start Marshall had cleared the back of the bikes ( as per last year). It is, however, something we need to adjust to and quickly. 

I would have thought that it should have been done during Press/practise day so that they could get used to it. (I wasn't there so I don't know whether it was or not but the tapes haven't been used during practise in the past when I have attended). 

Tapes weren't used during practice day Leander. Open practice.

• Like 1

Surely the new starting procedure shouldn't make that much difference

Anyway we have long complained about opposition teams moving at the start so rather amusing to see us at it.   Redcar were statues compared to us and alas it does not take long for word get out ...... in the 1st 2 meetings we were certainly pushing it with the refs ........  but lets hope its just rustiness

• Like 1