British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScunnyDan

Scorpions v Birmingham 09.08.19

It is all if's & but's.

Shanes did come in as a reserve replacement for Agertoft in heat 11 but Kinsley rode the ride of the night to 1st pass Ellis then get in front of Shanes to put us 6 points up. If Kinsley had not produced that ride then you would not have been able to use your TS ride & probably, Shanes would have been in heat 12 for Jenkins.

I'm not suggesting that Laurence or anyone else was wrong or right. A Team Manager has to make a decision about changes on the spur of the moment and under pressure, and is not able to wait 24 hours like we do. I've been a Team Manager for my Cycle Speedway club on occasions, and although things aren't so intense at that level, it is still a pressure job.

On the one hand, you will have a rider who has just gone out and done his best, and thinks he is hard done by if he is being replaced, and he will be backed up by his parents or his mates, and there will also be times when the rider you want to bring in doesn't particularly want an extra ride and needs to be geed up to going out, plus the usual few people in the pits who want to chip in and tell you to do something different. 

You do try to be fair and reasonable to everyone, but inevitably there are times when you later wish you had done something else when it's too late. When you get it wrong you get pilloried, and when you get it right people will say "well anyone would have done that." It isn't the cushy job that some think it is.

• Like 2

Some of us were talking about the possible changes even before heat 11. Some of us even fill in our programmes with the changes before it is announced(an eraser or tipp-ex can come in handy later though). ;)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, brianbuck said:

I'm not suggesting that Laurence or anyone else was wrong or right. A Team Manager has to make a decision about changes on the spur of the moment and under pressure, and is not able to wait 24 hours like we do. I've been a Team Manager for my Cycle Speedway club on occasions, and although things aren't so intense at that level, it is still a pressure job.

On the one hand, you will have a rider who has just gone out and done his best, and thinks he is hard done by if he is being replaced, and he will be backed up by his parents or his mates, and there will also be times when the rider you want to bring in doesn't particularly want an extra ride and needs to be geed up to going out, plus the usual few people in the pits who want to chip in and tell you to do something different. 

You do try to be fair and reasonable to everyone, but inevitably there are times when you later wish you had done something else when it's too late. When you get it wrong you get pilloried, and when you get it right people will say "well anyone would have done that." It isn't the cushy job that some think it is.

I respect your thoughts/opinions Brian, as I always do.....but that's what make people 'good' managers (imo)…... tactically, I'd have probably brought Shanes in at Heat 9 and that's because I'd have backed him over Nielsen ? But you can't not make a change because u hope to go 6 points down ....I know we all think differently......my posts are just my opinions. Being a manager cant be easy ....you have to study the opposition and gate positions ALL through the meeting etc......may be it's a 2 man job ?

My initial post wouldn't have been made had the text updates been correct!?

P.s may I add ...I respect Laurence and he's far more knowledgeable than me....I'm just saying what 'I' think.....I don't expect or suggest anyone agrees with me ? : )

Edited by GiveusaB