British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Andrew Edwards and Troy Pratt Interviews - Issue 93

7 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

I mostly talked to John on forums, but never got that impression of him. To me, he came across as a very intelligent man, and one who could tolerate people with a different view, while explaining his own take on matters.  I think he would have been capable of tackling the BSPA job, had he been given the chance.

I recall eavesdropping on a discussion between John and a group of Oxford fans at Cowley and he seemed to be quite happy engaging with them and they all shook hands when they went their seperate ways.

8 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

I mostly talked to John on forums, but never got that impression of him. To me, he came across as a very intelligent man, and one who could tolerate people with a different view, while explaining his own take on matters.  I think he would have been capable of tackling the BSPA job, had he been given the chance.

We communicated for quite a few years in the run up to his books being published, not least because I had some information he was interested in. He was perfectly fine until one day out of the blue I got an abrupt and rude message basically cutting off communication (although a year or so later made a conciliatory approach). I've no idea what I did, but it's pretty clear he did this to plenty of people so I don't lose sleep about it.

Undoubtedly a great promoter, great thinker and good writer too, and knowing what I know now, someone probably someone who carried a significant amount of worry. But I don't buy into the hagiography.