Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

So with a new tv deal announced with Eurosport, what’s happening with the Grand Prix.? Are we assuming by sports are still going to cover them or will we not be able to see Grand Prix speedway on tv in the uk 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am fairly sure BT have Gp in 2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, noggin said:

I am fairly sure BT have Gp in 2020

Yes they do, spoke with Natalie Quirk after the meeting Thursday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit if a shame Eurosport couldn’t get the gp coverage aswell, people are still going to have to subscribe to BT just to watch the Grand Prix. But good news for British speedway. Fingers crossed for a few more prem teams to make it worth while

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gasser90 said:

Bit if a shame Eurosport couldn’t get the gp coverage aswell, people are still going to have to subscribe to BT just to watch the Grand Prix. But good news for British speedway. Fingers crossed for a few more prem teams to make it worth while

You get BT free with Virgin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to say this only once. BT sport have a contract with BSI/IMG (signed April 2019) to show the GP`s/SON in 2020 and 2021. all BSI/IMG stadium and TV contracts cannot go beyond  2021 because that is when their GP/SON contract runs out(with the FIM)  - and we should know by the end of this year if they have been successful in retaining the contract for a further 10 years. 

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I am going to say this only once. BT sport have a contract with BSI/IMG (signed April 2019) to show the GP`s/SON in 2020 and 2021. all BSI/IMG stadium and TV contracts cannot go beyond  2021 because that is when their GP/SON contract runs out(with the FIM)  - and we should know by the end of this year if they have been successful in retaining the contract for a further 10 years. 

Yep, well said. And there's no way it will go to Eurosport in 2022 if BSI are successful seeing as the only other bid is from Discovery (Eurosport's parent company). That said, if Discovery win, it's almost certain the GPs will move to Eurosport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, baiden said:

Yep, well said. And there's no way it will go to Eurosport in 2022 if BSI are successful seeing as the only other bid is from Discovery (Eurosport's parent company). That said, if Discovery win, it's almost certain the GPs will move to Eurosport.

Not sure that is correct- If  BSI retain the contract and Eurosport( and i would think it would have to be Eurosport UK only because of the Polish/Swedish / Danish contracts( have to be renewed) came up with mega bucks they wouldn`t worry to much about BT sport 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Not sure that is correct- If  BSI retain the contract and Eurosport( and i would think it would have to be Eurosport UK only because of the Polish/Swedish / Danish contracts( have to be renewed) came up with mega bucks they wouldn`t worry to much about BT sport 

It's not about BSI turning down an offer from Eurosport (as you said, I'm sure they'd jump at the chance), it's more about Discovery/Eurosport not offering big bucks to cover something that they just lost the tender to promote. Could be wrong, but would very surprised if they did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, baiden said:

It's not about BSI turning down an offer from Eurosport (as you said, I'm sure they'd jump at the chance), it's more about Discovery/Eurosport not offering big bucks to cover something that they just lost the tender to promote. Could be wrong, but would very surprised if they did.

You could be right, however having the rights and all that goes with that,  and showing a ready made 3 hour programme with commentators included are 2 very separate things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does that mean we get sam ermolenko as well. I new there had to be a downside :D

Edited by ray c
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ray c said:

does that mean we geti new there had to be a downside sam ermelenko as well I new there had to be downside :D

With Pearson and Tatum being freelance,might be, things don't  change.Hopefully,Sam is in another job by then, looking after Wolves team affairs.

Edited by Tommy Sweetman
Added text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like all of the current BT team.  Yes, Tatum and Pearson can be a bit shouty at times but better that than the dull level commentary I hear elsewhere. I think that Natalie Quirke and Scott Nicholls add  knowledgeable  pre and post meeting comments and analysis of the races. My only suggestion would be to add a second ex or current rider to the studio presentation who might give alternative opinions. 

I don't watch other sports so have only seen the speedway events Eurosport has shown. I am pleased that there is a 5 year deal, I hope that there is a decent amount of money being paid and other than that, have an open mind and will wait and see the coverage before forming any opinions. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy