British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Any forumlanders at the 1956 World Final- I think at least one!!

Nostalgia time- I was looking at old Speedway Stars from 1956 and in the issue of 29 September , the week which contained the report of the World   Final , I came across the bye- line of John Hyam. The week before John had an article on Maury McDermott who I recall riding for Exeter.. Also John's prediction in that issue was correct- Fundin to win. other luminaries e.g. Basil Storey said it was going to be Crutcher, others predicted Briggs or Craven. I assume you were there on the big night John-any memories. Looking at the race details I was interested to see Ken McKinlay of Second Division Leicester was in with a real chance with 10 points from 4 rides. Ken had beaten Ronnie Moore, Briggs  and Craven but in his final ride (what looked like his easiest ride) he fell. So close yet so far. Ken never got that close again.

Did any forumlander , other than John, attend this event. What are your memories John or anyone.?

Yes I was at the 1956 world final. I recall being in the stadium lift after the the final with other pressmen and the top three in the final.

I was given what might be termed 'dirty looks' by the other passengers when I shook Ove Fundin's hand to congratulate him.

Edited by Guest

Thanx for your response John, were you surprised at Ken Mckinlay's performance and do you recall his final race, when if he had won he was in with a real chance- was it nerves that caused him to fall- it looked like it was his easiest race?? Arthur Forrest did well to get to the podium -were you surprised by that? Look forward to your comments.