British Speedway Forum

THE home office has slammed the door on a new in flux of young austrailians. THE.goverment .have banned any commonwealth youngsters from competing in professional sport.while in britainas a working holididay. thisJASON DOYLE ROBERT KSIEZAK and TROY BATCHELOR .will be the last riders to be ableto take advantage of the old ruling. this seems to apply to riders between 17 -23 of age.this rule applys to all sports in the uk.

So does this mean when Sam Martin becomes 17 he has to ride as a Brit :approve: woooooohooooooooooooo he's ours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

So does this mean when Sam Martin becomes 17 he has to ride as a Brit  :approve:  woooooohooooooooooooo he's ours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :P

YES .WAIT till i phone him tonight. .he will be gobsmacked .

Send him my love and tell him there's no getting away from it now he's ours!!!!!! Shame they never brought this in a few years ago else we could have a World Champion again now as well :wink:

Guest KTM620sx MX Basher
Send him my love and tell him there's no getting away from it now he's ours!!!!!!  Shame they never brought this in a few years ago else we could have a World Champion again now as well  :wink:

This is going to have an immediate impact on the current Australian juniors coming thru who may have the goods to have a go over there and ply their wares. The likes of current Australian u 21 champ Chris Holder and u 16 Champ Arron Summers and other young guns knocking on the door for next level of progression up the speedway ladder will be none to encouraged by this move at first though on the other side of the scale it may give the young guns more time to properly hone their skills and save money for decent bikes and setups before taking the plunge and also it make some of them even more determined to see if they can cut the mustard potential wise to see if they have the goods to make a solid fist of it in their formative years racing in the PL as opposed to some who have gone over whole hog without to much experience, average or below average bikes and kit and only managed to hover around on a 3 to 4 point average for 2 or 3 years and not making a fist of it for their promoter, team or their loyal club fans. So their maybe some good and bad to come out of this decision only time will tell....... B)

Guest darren45.wanadoo.co.uk@fs

Crazy rule just as theres a good few Aussies coming through, love or hate the idea of it taking team places off young Brits, the Aussies and Kiwi's have produced some good (and unlike some nations) dependable class riders, probably due to the fact that they can't just jump on a ferry and be back home in a couple of hours when it get's a bit tough, now i'm going to put my head in the lions mouth by saying i think the Aussies, Kiwi's and Americans should have it a little easier to race over here (i hear cries of what about the young Brit's ?), where are they ? and if there are some coming through a little competition fighting for team places will make them better rider's, was'nt that how it was in the 60s and 70s with the old second half vulture races where you proved yourself by beating the No 7s to gain a team place.

now i'm going to put my head in the lions mouth by saying i think the Aussies, Kiwi's and Americans should have it a little easier to race over here (i hear cries of what about the young Brit's ?), where are they ?

They are languishing in the Conference League waiting for the bottleneck in the PL to clear - it is a viscious circle - make life difficult for them and stop them from riding against better opposition and they don't progress. The problem is actually one of contract ownership and until this is addressed the Brits will lose out to an overseas equal who hasn't ridden here before.

The quality that is emerging from Oz is excellent and many people over there need to have a pat on the back quite obviously - this doesn't change much - things just go back to how they were a couple of years ago - the BSPA will still make life easy for our commonwealth friends as the sport has done since it began and perhaps more importantly Australian Speedway has a chance to establish itself while not every Tom Dick and Harry desert the sport there for GB.

now i'm going to put my head in the lions mouth by saying i think the Aussies, Kiwi's and Americans should have it a little easier to race over here (i hear cries of what about the young Brit's ?), where are they ?

I think it's important to develop riders that are committed to British speedway, wherever they happen to come from. Aussies and Kiwis tend to put British racing first, and you don't find them disappearing off to all manner of meetings abroad during our season.

I have nothing against riders from Continental Europe riding in Britain, but their commitments elsewhere are increasing and causing endless disruption to the British leagues. We simply cannot go on having the number of absences in teams that we've seen in recent years.

I think it's important to develop riders that are committed to British speedway, wherever they happen to come from. Aussies and Kiwis tend to put British racing first, and you don't find them disappearing off to all manner of meetings abroad during our season.

I have nothing against riders from Continental Europe riding in Britain, but their commitments elsewhere are increasing and causing endless disruption to the British leagues. We simply cannot go on having the number of absences in teams that we've seen in recent years.

Good point, Kevin. The Antipodean riders do tend to become almost honoury Brits, and certianly seem to put their British teams first, so I don't mind them riding in our leagues.

So Ashley Jones is a 4. Just because the government are not giving out permits any more, it doesn't seem to mean that Australians are no longer allowed a 4 point average, provided they have qualified for a permit it the proper way (top 3 of a State Final).

Sow e get rid of the permit for the sake of British sport and the BSPA STILL allow the Aussies in on 4's. :rolleyes:

THE    home office has slammed the door on a new in flux of young austrailians. THE.goverment .have banned any commonwealth youngsters from competing  in professional sport.while in britainas a working holididay.  thisJASON DOYLE  ROBERT KSIEZAK  and TROY BATCHELOR .will be the last riders to be ableto  take advantage of the old ruling. this seems to apply to riders between 17 -23 of age.this rule  applys to all sports in the uk.

Quite a number have UK passports anyway through British grandparents. That or they can lay claim to EC state ancestry. This surely stops only a relative trickle of antipodean newcomers?

Obviously quite a few Aussies have British ancestry and for them the dream is alive.

However I think we'd probably all be surprised at how many would be travellers don't.

To the ones without any UK or EC connections the chance of giving the "big time" a shot is a distant dream.

Back to basics I reckon, State and National Championship participation being a must........for World Championship qualification also.

Quite a number have UK passports anyway through British grandparents.

A UK-born grandparent doesn't automatically entitle someone to a UK passport, but they are allowed to live and work in the country for (I think) up to 5 years. If they can prove continuous residence after that time, they can then become a British citixen.

This surely stops only a relative trickle of antipodean newcomers?

I would guess as time passes, there will be fewer and fewer Commonwealthers with a UK-born grandparent. Personally, I think restrictions between the UK and the likes of Australia, New Zealand and Canada are ridiculous, but I guess that's politics for you.

Personally, I think restrictions between the UK and the likes of Australia, New Zealand and Canada are ridiculous, but I guess that's politics for you.

I agree totally, the above mentioned countries surely have more of a bond than the EC brigade.

I think the Aussies are being given a rough deal.