British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Evans

Millenium bound traffic situation..

I was reading in the Workington programme last night that there are quite a few roadworks on the M5. Can anyone update the situation on that motorway. :mad:

i recommend using the M50 and travelling via monmouth then onto the M4 at Newport, it's all dual carraigeway and there are enough service stations etc to stop at.

as for M5 roadworks, nothing to report on the RAC site

The M50/A449 almost never has any traffic, only occasionally is there traffic on the A449 bit as you get into Monmouth because of the one set of traffic lights. I know that on friday there was no road works on the M5 that I used (Cov to Newport). I go that way when I go to and from Coventry every week. It ends on the Newport Speedway junction of the M4 (24?).

Don't be supprised if you get stuck in the Brynglas Tunnels (M4 junction 25a/26 I think) on Saturday night as last night it was down to 1 lane and they tend to drag these things on for a while, I know it was down to 1 lane a few year back on GP, so unless you have to avoid the M4, anyone staying in Newport can get back to Newport via an alternative route(or 2) if you wish.

What about Car Parking! :(

They've set up three park and rides for the speedway fans - cost £5.

went down to cardiff the saturday just gone and the only road works i saw coming from statford were those between junction 9 and 8. Also if you are heading from the stratford direction then there are road works by the army barraks just before you get onto the M5

I have come up to Coventry tonight from Newport and there were no road works (either way) on the A449(all), M50(it did go to one lane on the way up) or M5(junction 10ish to 3ish). I think I did see signs that mentioned major road works on the M6.

SCB, if i remember rightly there has been a lot of roadworks on the M5, but i think they are closer to Bristol, so by choosing the M50 route they would be avoided.

Thanks for keeping us informed, now just watch the coach driver go M5-M4 and get us stuck in traffic, wasting valuable drinking time....lol

Well point out to him that there are road works further down. The last time I went over the bridge was on the way to Stoneleigh as the M50 was closed and there were roadworks at the end of the M5 then. So as long as people follow the signs for South Wales (they really are unmissable - says the person who missed them once :unsure: ) and turn off the M5 just as you pass the Strentham (something like that) Services people should be ok traffic wise until they actually get to the end and reach Newport but then it's only a matter of getting onto the Coldra(roundabout) and back off again with them dodgy lights but they cause trouble on the M4 as well.

Ok, just come back form Coventry to Newport. The M5 has road works about 500 yards after the M50 turn off. The M50/A449 is down to one lane in places but today it was still moving at a steady speed and part of it was for cutting down the tree's so they might have gone by Friday.

Try here if you want to keep track of whats where on the roads.

I can confirm the M6/M5 is going to be a nightmare. Apparently they are doing the road works there in the summer because there's less traffic. Go figure :blink::unsure:

:oops: Just noticed Phil has posted some links...and after what I said about duplicated threads being annoying I post here :oops:

Edited by 21st century heathen