British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Living in Poole and seeing the flags that are out for the football has got me thinking !

Local shops have sold thousands of flags does anyone know someone from the local papers or tv that can help ?

WE need a campaign to let people know that we are hosting a WORLD CUP, we can't get any other sport to hold the finals on our shores so let's make the speedway the best ever.

Anyone that can give an idea or help please post here and let's hope the right people read this thread.

Don't bin it we could win it . ( save the flag )

Sorry not to mention Eastbourne ( but hope you get the point )

Er.... it's the wrong flag!!!!!!!!

All the best

Rob

P.S. "Word Cup"? Has that got something to do with scrabble :) :) :)

Good point Rob! Shouldn't worry Snob - think the Tourism people will be promoting it pretty well nearer the time. I don't know if you're in Poole but they had a huge banner advertising the World Cup on the side of the Civic Centre for about two months. You couldn't miss it! And knowing the relationship that Poole have with the local press I reckon it will get a hell of a lot of coverage on local TV etc.

Guest Steve Dixon
Er.... it's the wrong flag!!!!!!!!

Whys that, team GB is ENGLISH.

No, it's the Great Britain team It just happens that currently the best riders are English, but the team represents the whole of Great Britain.

maybes one day the jocks will be good at something too!

i wonder which way the berwick folk sway?

I travel into Poole on a daily basis and have not yet seen a thing. If this was football we would not stop seeing posters. How many weeks away is it ? why not make the most of the feel good factor that is currently being genorated by the football. This is only my opinion .

Guest Steve Dixon
No, it's the Great Britain team It just happens that currently the best riders are English, but the team represents the whole of Great Britain.

Sorry got to disagree Norbold, since we were GB in the early 70's,ie Mauger Briggs and Mcmillan, can you name me a BRITISH line up that wasn't ENGLISH?

That's not the point. Until it is decided to enter separate teams from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the team represents the whole of Great Britain. It may be that it will only consist of English riders for the next 50 years, but that doesn't make it any less representative of Great Britain as a whole.

As a Welshman who will be sat at hoe supporting Team GB, I think the idea of collecting as many ENGLISH flag as possible is great. It's not like anyone wants to use French flags or anything. At the end of the day it's about letting the team know we're supporting them and when they see the English flag they'll know that they're being supported. When I support Newport I wave my Welsh flag, despite the fact we have 2 Danes, 2 Englishmen, an Australian, a Czech, and ONE Welshman but as my team is in Wales I expect my team to know that I'm supporting them.

So come on, anyone who is going, get hold of English, Scotish, Welsh or GB flags, who cares, just let the team know you're supporting them and ignore the politically correct brigade. Just remember to call then Team GB and not England!!

I agree that it is team Great Britian and that the union flag is correct but can't see the problem with waving an English, Scottish or Welsh flag. I think think the idea of keeping the flags flying in Poole and Eastbourne and other places is a great idea, any advertisment would be good.

It would be wonderful to see a Welsh rider in the Cardiff GP in the next few years.