British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Canadian Star

Kings Lynn Starlets 1969-70

The Kings Lynn Starlets are riding tomorrow in an eagerly awaited clash with Mildenhall, encouraged by the enthusiastic Laurence Rogers. How many of you can remember the original side bearing that name that rode in British League Division 2

for all of 1969 before moving to Boston in July 1970. Many riders who went on to become well known names cut there teeth in that time, including Ian Turner,Arthur Price,Russel Osbourne,Jim Ryman,Tony Featherstone,Jack Bywaters and John Ingoldmells to name just a few of them. What are your memories of this team who i think still hold the record for most number of riders to have appeared for them during a season.

I have a very clear memory of Russell Osbourn. Boston were riding against a Polish touring team when one of the Poles did something Russell didn't like, here the memory lets me down :sad: I can't remember what . He grabbed a shovel ( a big builders one not a garden spade) and ran the whole length of the centre green with this shovel over his head, with the clear intention of belting said Pole with it. Luckily his team mates and track staff managed to intercept him :D

This match was the first time I had ever seen a Polish team, and boy were they wild :rolleyes:

I saw the Starlets against Eastbourne, Easter Sunday 1969. It was the first match I went to. I remember Graham Edmonds (sp?), he wore white leathers that made him really stand out from the others.

The match was a narrow win for the Eagles, I've still got the program somewhere.

Graham Edmonds was team captain for the starlets for 1969, he was going pretty good until serious injury prevented him from ever being a force again. He was when i left England, still clerk of the course at Kings Lynn.